Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Those circumstances include:

The Jays’ disappointing and controversial exit from the postseason, when manager John Schneider lifted Jose Berríos from a shutout in the fourth inning of Game 2 of the Division Series against the Minnesota Twins. The Blue Jays lost that game and were eliminated, and Atkins subsequently assigned sole responsibility to Schneider before later taking greater accountability. The Jays, 0-6 in the past four postseasons, have not won a playoff game since 2016.

The restlessness of the fan base with the team’s performance at a time when Rogers Centre is undergoing a $300 million renovation, prompting a rise in ticket prices. The Yankees, Cardinals, Giants and Red Sox are among other clubs dealing with fan unrest, but the Jays’ troubles are perhaps even more acute, considering they are trying to sell new premium seating to justify the cost of their renovations.

The threat to the team’s future competitiveness with both shortstop Bo Bichette and first baseman Vladimir Guerrero Jr. both two years away from free agency. The Jays have been unable to sign either player to an extension, raising questions about their respective desires to stay. Guerrero also might not be as attractive an extension candidate as he once was, regressing offensively since his monstrous 2021 season.

The possibility that Shapiro and/or Atkins could be in danger of losing their jobs. Shapiro is signed through 2025, Atkins through ‘26, but pressure seemingly is mounting. The Jays’ owner, Rogers Communications, authorized a new $100 million player development complex in Dunedin, Fla., along with the $300 million in ballpark renovations. A publicly traded company, Rogers surely wants to see a return on its investments.

No longer are the Jays a young, upstart team on the rise. To the contrary, they underachieved last season while exceeding the luxury-tax threshold for the first time. And now, as they face the potential losses of third baseman Matt Chapman, outfielder Kevin Kiermaier and others in free agency, an injection of talent is needed, both to keep the team competitive and sell tickets to their newly renovated park.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Honestly, this is wild to me (and I assume to most people). I doubt you'll find more than a handful of other people who don't like Shulman. He's widely considered one of the best in the business by people on both sides of the border.
He has very few interesting stories to tell and is very bland, imo.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
It's funny how mad the Yankee fans in the comments are. They are so used to the exaggerated value of their prospects.
"Wait, they don't want to give us an All-Star for a couple of prospects that aren't very good but Baseball Prospectus has in the top 5 because we're the Yankees? It ain't FAIR!"

The real question is, who wants to go to THAT dumpster fire right now?

Reactions: Kurtz

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He's the play-by-play guy... his job is to call the game. The colour commentator is supposed to have the interesting stories.
Oh, in that case I guess it’s acceptable to be boring.

To be fair to him he’s not alone. Too many broadcasters are cookie cutter and follow the demands of their superiors

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Thinking about it more, trading for Soto (while missing out on Ohtani) screams a 1-year all-in, let's see what happens move in the same way the Raptors traded for Kawhi. Absolutely no assurance he re-signs the following year, there is still going to be a stable of really good young players on the team that they can remain competitive, but if things break their way, they'll be celebrating a championship.

I'm still unsure how or why Shapiro and Atkins are deeply invested in a Soto deal when a one -year rental doesn't seem like a type of move they're into. Albeit for a superstar. Nor am I convinced they'll do everything in their powers to make it happen. But hey...we are all dreaming and hoping it happens

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Thinking about it more, trading for Soto (while missing out on Ohtani) screams a 1-year all-in, let's see what happens move in the same way the Raptors traded for Kawhi. Absolutely no assurance he re-signs the following year, there is still going to be a stable of really good young players on the team that they can remain competitive, but if things break their way, they'll be celebrating a championship.

I'm still unsure how or why Shapiro and Atkins are deeply invested in a Soto deal when a one -year rental doesn't seem like a type of move they're into. Albeit for a superstar. Nor am I convinced they'll do everything in their powers to make it happen. But hey...we are all dreaming and hoping it happens
I think Soto is only a thing if it's Manoah going the other way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad