Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
IDK did we always know that teams would be meeting with Shohei in LA instead of Nashville? It's a bit strange to have winter meeting when a couple of the biggest potential movers are on the other side of the country. Obviously phones are a thing but things always seem to get done more in person.

Yes BNS tweeted out yesterday around noon that a small group of teams will meet with Ohtani and his reps in LA this weekend.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Yeah, Manoah seems like a good fit for both sides in a trade like this: massive upside for the Padres (with plenty of control) who could potentially help keep them competitive now, but enough uncertainty that the Jays aren't subtracting a core piece for one year of Soto. Maybe the Jays need to add more than would be ideal because of everything that went down with Manoah this year, but it makes so much sense as a starting point.
Apparently San Diego wants to reduce payroll 50 million and could desire to move another bad contract in the deal. Some of their bad contracts are Bogaerts, Cronenworth and Suarez. Out of those players I’d take Suarez if I had to do it.

But 4 years of Manoah for Soto as a basis is honestly fair imo. It could also turn out ugly for the Jays if Soto bolts and Manoah is back to a 4 WAR pitcher. I think there’s a better chance he returns to at least a 3.80 era player more then not. But I’d take the risk. Then we just add the prospects they want and maybe a Horwitz or Biggio.

Would the Yankees deal Domingues or King for Soto? I think they would have to offer something like that to beat the Manoah offer. I don’t even think Schmidt + is a better offer then Manoah + imo.

I think Manoah is more attractive then King as well because of the extra control and potential but that’s a tough call.

I think the Yanks gotta do Dominques to beat our offer.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
We’re about as close to zero chance of signing Ohtani now as we were before legitimately pursuing him imo.

chance-so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance.gif

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
If we could get Soto AND re-sign him next year with the money we were about to give Othani or Guerrero JR that’s a hell of a win.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
If we don’t sign Othani and trade Vlad, we would have more than enough money tonre-sign soto.
Wouldnt be about the willingness, but the uncertainty he would sign long term here. I'm sure we wouldnt hesitate to meet demands, but he would garner interest all over the league

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Shohei Ohtani

The Ohtani extravaganza is barreling toward the finish line, and when he finally agrees to a deal, the number, sources said, will surge well beyond $500 million. One source said he believes Ohtani will receive a contract for at least $550 million. Another said the bidding could reach $600 million.
Regardless of where it lands, it will shatter the record for the largest guarantee in North American sports history: the $426.5 million the Los Angeles Angels gave to Ohtani's teammate, Mike Trout.

Fears that the reconstructive elbow surgery that will prevent Ohtani from pitching in 2024 -- and has led to understandable questions about his future on the mound -- would put a damper on his free agent value have clearly proved unfounded. A player of Ohtani's caliber -- a two-time American League MVP whose unique brilliance at the plate and on the mound and international stardom makes him an all-time free agent -- transcends the sort of uncertainty that would waylay anyone else's free agency.

Given that, it would be foolish to count out any high-revenue team, though by now the field for Ohtani's services has winnowed, sources said. The Texas Rangers, Boston Red Sox and New York Mets, who were among the initial group of suitors, have turned their attention to other players, sources said. Among those confirmed by sources to be still in the bidding: the Los Angeles Dodgers, Chicago Cubs, Toronto Blue Jays and Angels. The San Francisco Giants have long had a fondness for Ohtani, though where they stand in these sweepstakes is unknown.

When Ohtani does make his choice, the signing is expected to jump-start a stagnant position-player market in which the largest free agent contract has been outfielder Jason Heyward's one-year, $9 million deal with the Dodgers. While the hitting class is weak, the markets for center fielder Cody Bellinger, third baseman Matt Chapman, outfielders Jung Hoo Lee, Teoscar Hernandez and Lourdes Gurriel Jr. and slugger Jorge Soler figure to pick up following Ohtani's signing -- as will the trade of the best bat available.

Yoshinobu Yamamoto

It's difficult to remember a player with a market as robust as Yamamoto's. The 25-year-old right-hander will decide among a who's who of teams interested in him: The Yankees, Mets, Dodgers, Red Sox and Cubs are among the favorites, with the Giants, Blue Jays and Phillies also expected to be in the mix.

The price for Yamamoto, officials who plan on pursuing the pitcher told ESPN, seems to be growing by the day. Multiple executives said the floor will be $200 million. Others said the cost of his contract could be in excess of $250 million -- which would mean another $39.38 million as a posting fee paid to the Orix Buffaloes, with whom Yamamoto has won three consecutive league MVP and Sawamura Awards.

Yamamoto's allure is undeniable, and with so many big-revenue teams interested in adding him to their rotation, it's more than conceivable that he receives the second-largest contract handed to a pitcher, behind Gerrit Cole's $324 million deal with the Yankees. Yamamoto plans to meet with teams after the winter meeting before making his decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad