Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Obviously that would be a crazy ask but it’s a thought experiment. In this imaginary world you’re essentially trading for Soto and Ohtani because without the trade you get neither. How ridiculous would the ask have to get for you to prefer just signing Candilero and Hoskins instead and calling it a day?

I mean after all this big fish talk of Soto and Ohtani It sounds like a disappointment but in the grand scheme if we end up with Hoskins I won't hate it.

Candalario though I'd rather avoid like the plague.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I think that Shapiro and Atkins are really good negotiators and they make each player they signed as a free agent feel like they are wanted. They are also very good at highlighting the amazing positives about playing for the Blue Jays, in Toronto, and in Canada. So I have faith in them landing the big fish.
Also state of the art facility in Dunedin. Players will spend a lot of time there in the off season and spring training.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I think that Shapiro and Atkins are really good negotiators and they make each player they signed as a free agent feel like they are wanted. They are also very good at highlighting the amazing positives about playing for the Blue Jays, in Toronto, and in Canada. So I have faith in them landing the big fish.
Yup. I hope they continue to bang down the ridiculous barrier that playing in Canada is going to give you cooties or something. Besides a great city, organization and the facilities that come with it, I don't think it should be understated what having an entire country can feel like.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
It would make a lot of sense to me if we were going to land Ohtani to add someone like Soto for the one year of going all in and shed the salary as Vlad and Bichette need new contracts.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I mean after all this big fish talk of Soto and Ohtani It sounds like a disappointment but in the grand scheme if we end up with Hoskins I won't hate it.

Candalario though I'd rather avoid like the plague.
I actually wouldn't mind Hoskins. Seems to put up consistent numbers and this lineup needs some consistency. He's a pretty safe bet to hit 30 hrs and have an OPS in the 800-900 range.

We really can't put too much faith in vladdy actually delivering on his talent so we need to have some consistent production elsewhere. If the Jays want to be a legit contender they need a more predictable lineup. Too many wild cards last year that all pretty much fell flat outside of Belt. That's mainly why I don't want Chapman back or why I'm not big on signing Candelero.

I'd be quite happy if we could add Hoskins and Soto this off season. They would provide reliable consistent production to a team that badly needs it.

Ale Brew

Feb 24, 2020
People online keep saying if we’re in on Soto that means we’re out on Ohtani… I think it’s the other way around. I think you go get Soto and then push all in on Ohtani
I think we’re just Leary of Rogers going all in and spending like a true big boy.

Would be incredibly exciting if we were to do so and put us in a great position to contend.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Let's hope we are the bride and not the bridesmaid for once, Jays have shown they will go after guys like Springer, Ryu, Gausman, Bassit.. If we are in on both Soto and Ohtani, God help the ticket prices at the dome.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
TSN reporting we are favorite to land Soto. Just what do we have to give up?

He reported Yankees have dropped out over prospect demand. I imagine our farm system be raided

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
As long as Orelvis isn't moving in the deal I'm good. I would sell high on Nimmala if we can. I didn't really follow this year's draft much but after bearing down on him a lot afterwards I'm not really a big fan.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
TSN reporting we are favorite to land Soto. Just what do we have to give up?

He reported Yankees have dropped out over prospect demand. I imagine our farm system be raided
I don't put too much stock in who's in and out on things like this because I think it's how a lot of these major trade negotiations play out. Teams drop out over prospect demands, then when the Padres realize no teams are willing to meet their demands, the price will become more reasonable and some teams will be back in.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I don't put too much stock in who's in and out on things like this because I think it's how a lot of these major trade negotiations play out. Teams drop out over prospect demands, then when the Padres realize no teams are willing to meet their demands, the price will become more reasonable and some teams will be back in.
I think if we get Soto that Manoah is 100% one of the pieces going the other way. San Diego is looking for young, controllable pitching in the worst way. Would love for the Jays to then sign one of Yamamoto or Imanaga to fill out our rotation. Gives us 3 NBL players on one team to make Ohtani comfy.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I think if we get Soto that Manoah is 100% one of the pieces going the other way. San Diego is looking for young, controllable pitching in the worst way. Would love for the Jays to then sign one of Yamamoto or Imanaga to fill out our rotation. Gives us 3 NBL players on one team to make Ohtani comfy.
Yeah, Manoah seems like a good fit for both sides in a trade like this: massive upside for the Padres (with plenty of control) who could potentially help keep them competitive now, but enough uncertainty that the Jays aren't subtracting a core piece for one year of Soto. Maybe the Jays need to add more than would be ideal because of everything that went down with Manoah this year, but it makes so much sense as a starting point.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Or maybe the Jays don’t want to see Soto land with a team they’re directly competing against. I think Atkins is feeling the pressure and might be pushing his chips in to try and win with this current core a la AA in 2015.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Or maybe the Jays don’t want to see Soto land with a team they’re directly competing against. I think Atkins is feeling the pressure and might be pushing his chips in to try and win with this current core a la AA in 2015.
My guess is Shapiro privately told him that I protected you this time but it’s time to put up or shut up.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
This seems like a very redundant post by Ben.
IDK did we always know that teams would be meeting with Shohei in LA instead of Nashville? It's a bit strange to have winter meeting when a couple of the biggest potential movers are on the other side of the country. Obviously phones are a thing but things always seem to get done more in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad