Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I don't know what indications are being given that the Jays are or would be the favourites for Ohtani, but I'm excitedly optimistic yet the utmost prepared for the ultimate letdown when he signs with the Dodgers as has been expected all along. :laugh:

Reactions: jetsforever

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I don't know what indications are being given that the Jays are or would be the favourites for Ohtani, but I'm excitedly optimistic yet the utmost prepared for the ultimate letdown when he signs with the Dodgers as has been expected all along. :laugh:
I look forward to the meltdown of people blaming Rogers cheapness when the reality is we probably have a contract out there more than double anything else we ever handed out

Ale Brew

Feb 24, 2020
I look forward to the meltdown of people blaming Rogers cheapness when the reality is we probably have a contract out there more than double anything else we ever handed out
I think it’s a least 3 times maybe 4 times bigger. Unless I’m mistaken, I think Springer’s $150M is the biggest deal the Jays have handed out.

After typing that out, I’m now thinking of Zoolander (It’ll have to be at least 3 times that size!). So thank you for the chuckle.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Ohtani most likely signs with the Dodgers but I just went back and read some of the things that were said when he signed with the Angels.

• Signing with the Angels puts Ohtani near L.A. without actually being in the thick of L.A. So if we’re to believe that he values his privacy, as reports have suggested, Anaheim puts Ohtani close enough to Hollywood without being in the thick of Dodgers mania.

"While there has been much speculation about what would drive Shohei’s decision, what mattered to him most wasn’t market size, time zone or league but that he felt a true bond with the Angels. He sees this as the best environment to develop and reach the next level and attain his career goals. More than ever, I believe this is not only a special talent but a man of special character, and like everyone else I’m excited to see him in Major League Baseball.”

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Well what’s the point of trading Vlad? Because he’s not signed longterm? Ditto Bo, but Bo actually has significant trade value.

Fwiw I’m not the one looking to trade either of them.
Yeah, in the EXTREMELY unlikely scenario that you somehow add both Ohtani and Soto, there's no way you move Vlad or Bo. You make those additions to load up and go for it, not to replace what you already have. MAYBE you think about moving one of them next offseason if it makes sense at that point.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Yeah, in the EXTREMELY unlikely scenario that you somehow add both Ohtani and Soto, there's no way you move Vlad or Bo. You make those additions to load up and go for it, not to replace what you already have. MAYBE you think about moving one of them next offseason if it makes sense at that point.
In that situation you go all in this year and risk losing Soto in FA knowing you still have a deadly core to make a push. After that its far enough into the future that many things can happen to keep a window open.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Well what’s the point of trading Vlad? Because he’s not signed longterm? Ditto Bo, but Bo actually has significant trade value.

Fwiw I’m not the one looking to trade either of them.
This is nothing more than a personal opinion, but my hunch would be of the two who would be more inclined to sign a long-term deal with the Jays, it'd be Vladdy.

I only say as such in the dream scenario they get Ohtani and/or Soto and some budget decisions eventually have to be made. Obviously I hope both are here for the long term.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Ohtani most likely signs with the Dodgers but I just went back and read some of the things that were said when he signed with the Angels.

• Signing with the Angels puts Ohtani near L.A. without actually being in the thick of L.A. So if we’re to believe that he values his privacy, as reports have suggested, Anaheim puts Ohtani close enough to Hollywood without being in the thick of Dodgers mania.

"While there has been much speculation about what would drive Shohei’s decision, what mattered to him most wasn’t market size, time zone or league but that he felt a true bond with the Angels. He sees this as the best environment to develop and reach the next level and attain his career goals. More than ever, I believe this is not only a special talent but a man of special character, and like everyone else I’m excited to see him in Major League Baseball.”
Apparently, one of the things he really likes about the Jays is our training facility and I bet the thought of that facility after a potential second TJ is very attractive to him. We may not be the perfect fit but I can certainly see it being attractive to him. he is also legit buds with Kikuchi for whatever that's worth.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I am worried what we give up to get Soto being that he's likely just a rental. Yanks pulling back because they are asking for a lot of prospects

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Yeah I’d much rather give up the massive contract to Ohtani and keep our pieces for trade bait rather than use those up for a possible rental. Soto isn’t going through all this just to re-sign.. Boras is playing this out until free agency. He’s a pure rental

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

There’s also the whole “waste of time” comments the Dodgers had when looking back at their pitch to Ohtani. Them (Turner/Kershaw) feeling like he never gave them a chance because he wanted to DH. I know there’s a universal DH now but you’d have to still feel slighted from that and potentially still harbour some resentment towards them.

Reactions: weems

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Ohtani isn’t happening.

The question is, what offer can the Jays make the Padres to beat the Yankees and acquire Soto?

Tidemann?
Manoah+?
Schneider + ?
Roden ++?

Martinez + Barriea + would be my preferred starting point from my end but I think they will want Ricky, Manoah or some ready to go players like Schneider, Kirk or Varsho.

It’s going to be painful.

I’ve heard Dominguez and Volpe floated around in Yankees rumours.

Last edited:

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I'd also trade Bo for Soto if we could get Kim back in the deal as well, he has played some SS but mostly 2B.

Screen Shot 2023-12-02 at 2.12.35 PM.png

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Ohtani isn’t happening.

The question is, what offer can the Jays make the Padres to beat the Yankees and acquire Soto?

Tidemann?
Manoah+?
Schneider + ?
Roden ++?

Martinez + Barriea + would be my preferred starting point from my end but I think they will want Ricky, Manoah or some ready to go players like Schneider, Kirk or Varsho.

It’s going to be painful.

I’ve heard Dominguez and Volpe floated around in Yankees rumours.
The Padres asked for Dominguez or Volpe. Don't think the Yankees ever considered it or Soto would be a Yankee right now lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad