Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
There’s a 1% chance we land Ohtani or Soto. We are being used in these talks.
Meh. Not that I think the Jays will ultimately get either, but people said the same things about Ryu and Springer before those happened.

I get that Ohtani is different because he'll be a number of magnitudes more expensive than those guys, but Soto isn't even a free agent, and management has shown a willingness to trade their top prospects to bring in guys they want.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Meh. Not that I think the Jays will ultimately get either, but people said the same things about Ryu and Springer before those happened.

I get that Ohtani is different because he'll be a number of magnitudes more expensive than those guys, but Soto isn't even a free agent, and management has shown a willingness to trade their top prospects to bring in guys they want.
I feel like Shapiro has shattered the whole "FA won't come to Toronto" thing since we have actually landed top FA the last few years in:
Springer
Gausman
Ryu
Simien
Bassit

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario

Would we even have what it takes to get Soto? Obviously tiedeman is included in that trade

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
This was the buzzword back in 2015 when the Jays were going for it, but the "synergies" an Ohtani signing would have for Rogers would be mammoth and would likely trump his salary. From increased ticket sales and merchandise, and as a result concessions and jerseys, advertising dollars and viewership, both nationally and foreign, not to mention the goodwill it'd bring to the company that is widely considered as uncaring towards its customers. That's not even factoring in what a playoff berth beyond a Wild Card spot would bring, which we've seen before is a gold mine.

Now, I don't know how serious the Jays are in pursuing Ohtani. And realistically, it's a moot point if he has no interest in signing here. However, it's nice to see that Rogers is willing to spend the big bucks for the on-field product under the realization that to make money, you have to spend money.

In addition, bless him, and I absolutely loved Beeston, but thank goodness his internal stipulation of capping contracts at 5 years is a thing no more, which would have precluded the Jays from being in the conversation for Ohtani before it even started.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Yes we do and I think Tiedeman is not included for someone only under control for one more year. No one else is going to offer up an asset like that.
Yeah, the only way Tiedemann is involved in a deal like that is if it's expanded to include a longer-term piece or two to the Jays.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Sure and that would be nice but in the end I want to see a championship. I dont care much for individual performances.

I’m old enough to remember the previous 2 but I’d like to see one as an adult. Because in the end I’d rather be talking about something like Carter walking off the Phillies then the time I saw a guy pitch and hit.
I see where you're coming from.

Adding someone like an Ohtani, would in my opinion bring us a lot closer to another championship. Especially since we wouldn't have to give up any assets for him. Just picture having him near the top of the line up between Bichette and Vlady. The only negatives is the owners would be paying a huge amount for a DH (This year). Plus the concern of how he'll rebound next year after his 2nd TJ.

Personally I think the positives outweigh the negatives by a long shot.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Sure and that would be nice but in the end I want to see a championship. I dont care much for individual performances.

I’m old enough to remember the previous 2 but I’d like to see one as an adult. Because in the end I’d rather be talking about something like Carter walking off the Phillies then the time I saw a guy pitch and hit.
I understand what you are saying, but it is far rarer to see what Ohtani is doing than to see a Championship.

There’s a 1% chance we land Ohtani or Soto. We are being used in these talks.
Soto is a trade. If they paid the price, they could land him.

Reactions: kb

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I’m not taking Soto unless he’s extended hence why I said Tiedeman included.

Boras client so he's not getting extended. Highly doubt Tiedemann would be involved and if they're focused around controllable pitching then Manoah starts to look pretty enticing. I wouldn't even be opposed to adding but in terms of prospects Tiedemann's the only guy off the table IMO.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Boras client so he's not getting extended. Highly doubt Tiedemann would be involved and if they're focused around controllable pitching then Manoah starts to look pretty enticing. I wouldn't even be opposed to adding but in terms of prospects Tiedemann's the only guy off the table IMO.
Right so back to my main conclusion. He won't be a Blue Jay.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Right so back to my main conclusion. He won't be a Blue Jay.

Why's that? I think management knows they're at a critical point where they need to add significant pieces to remain competitive with the current core, and whenever you have the opportunity to add a top 5 hitter (contract year or not) you try to make that happen. Plus they're not opposed to acquiring Boras clients even though that essentially means zero chance of extension.

Reactions: kb

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Why's that? I think management knows they're at a critical point where they need to add significant pieces to remain competitive with the current core, and whenever you have the opportunity to add a top 5 hitter (contract year or not) you try to make that happen. Plus they're not opposed to acquiring Boras clients even though that essentially means zero chance of extension.
Sometimes it's more preferable to buy a premium asset for the one year to alleviate the risk a long term brings. I don't understand this idea that everyone you acquire has to be extended.

Reactions: Jojalu and Eyedea

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I'd be elated with Ohtani but Cody Bellinger would be a pretty great get for us as well. That lefty middle of the order bat is just what the doctor ordered.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Sometimes it's more preferable to buy a premium asset for the one year to alleviate the risk a long term brings. I don't understand this idea that everyone you acquire has to be extended.

Yes exactly. For example I’d be more in favour of acquiring him than signing Bellinger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad