Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
The Jays were very in on Bogaerts last offseason. Wouldn’t be surprised if Atkins is looking at adding him to a Soto deal, or just willing to acquire him (with salary relief coming back).

Makes the Bo rumours more legit but you could also experiment with XBo at 3B.
Bo + Manoah + Nimmala for Soto + Bogaerts/Tatis + Kim?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Honestly I just want him so we can say we had one of the all time best at the sport in Toronto and be entertained.

It's rare that Toronto sports has had out and out the best player of its era.
I’m not overly excited about the thought of him in Dunedin during the spring but it would be alright watching him for a couple of months during the summer.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I was having this conversation and might as well ask here. Would Ohtani be the biggest "star" Toronto has ever had? Matthews is one of the most talented players but NHL players don't have the same star power around the world.

I would argue Vince Carter was probably the biggest one we have ever had, but where would Ohtani rank?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I was having this conversation and might as well ask here. Would Ohtani be the biggest "star" Toronto has ever had? Matthews is one of the most talented players but NHL players don't have the same star power around the world.

I would argue Vince Carter was probably the biggest one we have ever had, but where would Ohtani rank?
Does Pinball Clemens count?

• Haha
Reactions: trellaine201

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Eusebio in the NASL playing for the Metros

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

Yes, and I don't think it's particularly close. He'd immediately take the throne from Vince.

Although the most impactful star would remain as Kawhi just by virtue of how much an NBA superstar can accomplish vs a baseball superstar. The former can win you a championship almost by himself, the latter can't even carry a team to the playoffs if he doesn't have the right pieces around him.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

Are we talking about pure "worldwide star power"? If so, I'd say he'd be hands down the biggest star the city has ever had. Capturing the Japanese market would trump anything we've ever seen here before. Things were insane here when the Kawasaki craze was going on. Can only imagine what it'd be with one of the sport's all-time great talents.

Carter is a good choice. Matthews, when we look back in 20 years time, will likely be in the conversation; but as you say, only a handful of hockey players have ever made a dent on a grand scale. The other name I'd throw out there is Kawhi Leonard, even with him being a one-and-done in Toronto.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Had to google Vince Carter, wouldn't he be on par with Gilmour?

With Ohtani Canada will learn about him, the US knows him well, and he’s a super star in Asia, so probably.

• Wow
Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Had to google Vince Carter, wouldn't he be on par with Gilmour?

With Ohtani Canada will learn about him, the US knows him well, and he’s a super star in Asia, so probably.
Well no, Vince Carter was compared to Michael Jordan coming up and everyone in the US knew who he was and put the Raptors on the map, Hockey players will always be well known in Canada but internationally very few would have the kind of global star power outside of Gretzky.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
It would be hilarious if it was down to the Jays and Dodgers and that pushed it in our favour.
Who knows maybe he is leaking it because they know they are out and want to let their fans know they tried

I'd rather it be a "well he chose them" than make it have the appearance we blew it by a leak.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It would be hilarious if it was down to the Jays and Dodgers and that pushed it in our favour.
Who knows maybe he is leaking it because they know they are out and want to let their fans know they tried

This is exactly the type of conspiracy people thought about the Jays these past 24 hours lol.

Reactions: Discoverer

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Well no, Vince Carter was compared to Michael Jordan coming up and everyone in the US knew who he was and put the Raptors on the map, Hockey players will always be well known in Canada but internationally very few would have the kind of global star power outside of Gretzky.
I moved to the US in the early 90s so I have no recollection of Vince Carter. From an internationally standpoint I doubt he’s well known. Jordan probably is.
Ohtani would be the biggest, unless there’s some soccer player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad