Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Jim Duquette is on Overdrive and says everything he has heard indicates that the Ohtani negotiations will go into next week.

Duquette says Roberts got in trouble a few days ago saying Betts will be a permanent 2B next year. The dodgers FO wasn’t ready to announce that. So him making those comments about the Dodgers could be premature and could get him in trouble with the Dodgers and Ohtani. But Ohtani isn’t going to throw them out of the negotiations because of it. So there is a double standard.

Also says he thinks Ohtani ends up a Dodger.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Jim Duquette is on Overdrive and says everything he has heard indicates that the Ohtani negotiations will go into next week.
Of course, because if we weren't involved in it he would have signed Monday. Everything Jays drags on and on.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Duquette says Roberts got in trouble a few days ago saying Betts will be a permanent 2B next year. The dodgers FO wasn’t ready to announce that. So him making those comments about the Dodgers could be premature and could get him in trouble with the Dodgers and Ohtani. But Ohtani isn’t going to throw them out of the negotiations because of it. So there is a double standard.

Worth noting Roberts is Japanese.

The son of a Japanese mother and an African American father, Roberts became the first manager of Asian heritage to lead a team to the World Series in 2017, when the Dodgers captured the National League pennant. He also led the Dodgers to the World Series in 2018 and 2020, winning in the latter year. Roberts is both the first manager of Asian heritage and second African American manager to lead a team to a World Series title.[2][3]

Roberts was born in Naha, Okinawa, Japan. His father, Waymon, was a United States Marine stationed in Japan when he met and married Eiko, Roberts's mother. Roberts has a younger sister, Melissa.[4] His childhood was spent moving from one military base to another in two and three-year sequences, first in Okinawa where he was born, then to multiple bases in California, to Okinawa again, to North Carolina, to Hawaii and finally back to California,[4] eventually settling in San Diego.

Last edited:

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I’m not sure Bo even needs to be added if we’re talking Bogaerts. If it’s Tatis (won’t even hit 20m until 2025) we’re likely adding Tieds+ totoo.
Just looked at XB's contract. That's a yikes. We should get Soto for free to take that monstrosity on.

Reactions: Puckstuff

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004

That really throws a wrench. I can't see the back up plans like Bellinger, Hoskins etc. waiting for that. Gonna leave Ohtani loser at the dance with no partner.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I still dont see the Ohtani thing happening for the Jays... I bet he's just using it to get leverage with the west coast teams.
I think he ultimately goes to the Dodgers but he doesn’t need any extra leverage. He has won 2 of the last 3 MVPs and is the first successful 2 way player in 100 years

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I still dont see the Ohtani thing happening for the Jays... I bet he's just using it to get leverage with the west coast teams.
dont-you-put-that-evil-on-me-michael-clarke.gif

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I know it's crazy but why not just sign Bellinger this year, and then next year, try to move out Springer's contract and just sign Soto. I would much rather have both Bellinger and Soto then just Ohtani.

Reactions: trellaine201

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I really don’t see he needs any leverage to get the best deal possible. He is just that good and that marketable.
I don’t see how any teams won’t pay 50mil/yr for his service. He is one of the few if not the only baseball player where even non baseball fans know who he is and any baseball fans from anywhere know him.
Mike Trout is still amazing, but you rarely see someone wearing his jersey on the street but that’s not the case of Ohtani.
In terms of Stardom, I would rate Ohtani up there with Messi and CRonaldo.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I know it's crazy but why not just sign Bellinger this year, and then next year, try to move out Springer's contract and just sign Soto. I would much rather have both Bellinger and Soto then just Ohtani.
Because Rogers won't say yes to both.

Blowing the budget out of the water only works if there is something Shapiro can sell to the suits.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
For the same reason you would rather get a $50 bill right now rather than two $20 bills spread out over 2 years

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Because Rogers won't say yes to both.

Blowing the budget out of the water only works if there is something Shapiro can sell to the suits.
Soto and Bellinger would probably come in less then the 600m it's going to take to get Ohtani

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Soto and Bellinger would probably come in less then the 600m it's going to take to get Ohtani
They will. And Rogers is more likely to say yes to Ohtani AND Soto than Soto and Bellinger. If the Jays add Bellinger, it will be him and smaller pieces (but ew) and try to get below the CBT line.

Both Ohtani and Soto are hugely marketable so there is a return there. They are also stars (Bellinger is one year removed from being non-tendered).

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

The second ever MLB draft lottery was conducted at the Winter Meetings this evening. The Guardians were surprisingly awarded the first overall pick, followed by the Reds and Rockies. Cleveland entered the event with just a 2% chance of securing the highest selection.

Here’s the first round order:

1. Guardians
  2. Reds
  3. Rockies
  4. Athletics
  5. White Sox
  6. Royals
  7. Cardinals
  8. Angels
  9. Pirates
  10. Nationals
  11. Tigers
  12. Red Sox
  13. Giants
  14. Cubs
  15. Mariners
  16. Marlins
  17. Brewers
  18. Rays
  19. Mets
  20. Blue Jays
  21. Twins
  22. Orioles
  23. Dodgers
  24. Padres
  25. Yankees
  26. Braves
  27. Phillies
  28. Astros
  29. Diamondbacks
  30. Rangers

This year, the A’s, Royals and Rockies had the best chance of securing the #1 overall selection. Each had an 18.3% probability for the pick. The White Sox (14.7%) and Cardinals (8.3%) had the fourth and fifth highest odds, respectively.

Jays will draft 20th.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I wonder why no one’s tried poaching their whole front office.

It seems crazy to me that an organization with more money than brains (like say the Mets) haven't done this yet. Just offer everyone over there 3x their current salary. Who's going to say no?

Boras represents both guys, and has already rejected a $440 mil contract offer on Soto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad