Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Feels like it did back in 2019 during the JT sweepstakes

I was glued to twitter and HF for an entire week

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Reactions: smitty10

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I’ve waited too long for a signing. Heading to the gym. Knowing my luck, expect an Ohtani signing within the next 2-3 hours.

You’re welcome.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Feels like it did back in 2019 during the JT sweepstakes

I was glued to twitter and HF for an entire week
I was more glued to the Draft Lottery in 2016. I literally jumped for joy that the leafs did not get screwed out of the #1.

Reactions: kb

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Interesting deal given the 2 teams. Fitts threw a lot of innings this year for a minor leaguer with solid results in AA. Weissert has really solid K numbers for a reliever and has some MLB time with mixed results. Judice just drafted with no milb numbers. Verdugo is meh, besides for the obvious potential Soto implications.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Interesting deal given the 2 teams. Fitts threw a lot of innings this year for a minor leaguer with solid results in AA. Weissert has really solid K numbers for a reliever and has some MLB time with mixed results. Judice just drafted with no milb numbers. Verdugo is meh, besides for the obvious potential Soto implications.
That's a decent return for Verdugo. He's a ~2 WAR player with one year left and he's going to make around $9 million. There's not much value there.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
To me the signing of Ohtani is a no brainer at what ever cost for the Jays and ownership. It’s profit for the organization anyway you look at it:

1. Signing with which ever team means Japan networks will purchase the rights to be able to televise every game that team plays. Money to be made for signing team.

2. Japan businesses will sponsor the team up the wazoo where ever Ohtani signs. Billboards in stadium. Commercials and advertisements.

3. Team merch sales will get a huge boost.

The contract pays for itself. That all being said. If Toronto has to outbid the American teams so be it. Give him 600 million over 10 yrs with opt outs for him and Jays at certain points in deal. Instead of 500 million. I think he would take 60 million a season over 50 million.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Passan:

Could find out towards the end of the week

Likely early next week

Talking around or at least $550M

Is LAD or SF? Angels in the mix. The interesting team lurking is the blue jays. They want him but it’s the same question other teams are asking “does he want us!?!?”

Reactions: hockeywiz542

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Published Dec. 5, 2023, 8:48 p.m. ET

Screenshot-2023-12-05-at-22-07-18-Getty-Images-1474925588-jpg-WEBP-Image-1024-683-pixels.png

Japanese starter Yoshinobu Yamamoto may be the most popular free agent ever — at least among big-market clubs — and that’s why execs are predicting he may cost the signing team as much as $300 million, including the posting fee.

The original estimate for Yamamoto, who’s only 25, was $200 million. But in addition to the Mets and Yankees, who both seem hopeful, the Dodgers, Giants, Cubs, Cardinals, Red Sox, Phillies, Diamondbacks and Tigers all are linked to Yamamoto.

The lobby scuttlebutt suggests the Mets and Giants have a solid chance. But the Yankees (and others) seem to have faith, too.

The Shohei Ohtani and Yamamoto derbies are holding up markets. Not their fault.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa

Passan:

Likely early next week

Is LAD or SF? Angels in the mix. The interesting team lurking is the blue jays. They want him but it’s the same question other teams are asking “does he want us!?!?”

Terrible. Just get on with it.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004

Passan:

Likely early next week

That timeline just sucks.

I can't see the back up plans waiting until then and if we don't get him and the back-up plans are off the board is gonna suck.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast

Passan:

Likely early next week

I feel with every other report coming out, the Jays are more than just a team lurking at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad