Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

As we reported on Hot Stove last night, the Yankees intensified efforts to acquire Soto. Those talks have continued and a trade is likely. Keep an eye on King and Thorpe. Padres need pitchers and those two could headline a trade. Would think Yankees will part with 4 or 5 players

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
You are all sadists lol, you will go through mental gymnastics to fool yourselves into assuming we won't get Ohtani or Soto even though in your hearts you will rage like no tomorrow at how cheap and incompetent the Jays are if they don't land one.
Don't forget the part where they'll complain about how terrible the contract is if he does end up in Toronto.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I feel like if the Jays had the sense they might not get Ohtani but have a deal on the table they would do for Soto they would pull the trigger to not be left empty handed, so I take reports of Yankee progress on Soto as a good sign.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
You are all sadists lol, you will go through mental gymnastics to fool yourselves into assuming we won't get Ohtani or Soto even though in your hearts you will rage like no tomorrow at how cheap and incompetent the Jays are if they don't land one.
If ownership and the management team put their best foot forward with a very competitive offer, that's all you can ask for. You can't force Ohtani (or any other free agent) to sign in Toronto just because. There are 30 teams after all. The fact he is even entertaining Toronto as a highly potential landing spot is exciting as it is.

Now, if this was like years back where they operated on a stringent budget while having some of the strongest financial strength to flex and did minimal to try and improve the roster, that's what I would have an issue with.

When Darvish was posted, the Jays were supposedly one of the final candidates, until rumours came out that their offer was nowhere close. That's the type of window dressing I don't like. With Ohtani, I don't think they're window dressing.

Now, on the flipside, I certainly shun on players who frown on Toronto just because it's Canada. If the Jays have a competitive offer that's tops, and the player chose some random U.S. team just because, then it's a big ol' "screw you" from me.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I can't help but feel that maybe the sense around the Yankees is the Jays are getting Ohtani so they're desperate to land Soto to compete with the Jays
Can he just sign already? I'm very optimistic, but this is consuming my life checking all my baseball links and feeds lol.

I have training for work that is getting 15% participation and focus right now.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
If ownership and the management team put their best foot forward with a very competitive offer, that's all you can ask for. You can't force Ohtani (or any other free agent) to sign in Toronto just because. There are 30 teams after all. The fact he is even entertaining Toronto as a highly potential landing spot is exciting as it is.

Now, if this was like years back where they operated on a stringent budget while having some of the strongest financial strength to flex and did minimal to try and improve the roster, that's what I would have an issue with.

When Darvish was posted, the Jays were supposedly one of the final candidates, until rumours came out that their offer was nowhere close. That's the type of window dressing I don't like. With Ohtani, I don't think they're window dressing.

Now, on the flipside, I certainly shun on players who frown on Toronto just because it's Canada. If the Jays have a competitive offer that's tops, and the player chose some random U.S. team just because, then it's a big ol' "screw you" from me.
Come on, we could offer $600 million and the Dodgers $500 million and if he chose the Dodgers still we would have people coming out of the woodwork crying about Rogers/FO cheapness

Reactions: Forgotusername

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
The "don't talk about it in the media" is hilarious and ridiculous.

On the one hand, you have: "This is a major life decision and involves hundreds of millions of dollars. Ohtani will carefully consider where he has a chance to win, where he'll have the opportunity for individual success, and where he and his family would enjoy living for the next 10 years, amongst other factors. It won't be a rushed, rash decision."

And then, on the other hand, it's: "Unless you say anything or anyone with your team tweets about him. Then none of the above matters because YOU'RE F*CKED AND YOU'RE OUT!"

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

From what I remember about Darvish, the Jays were one of the final candidates. I'm pretty sure they had the second high bid, but the Rangers blew everyone out of the water.

On the one hand, you have: "This is a major life decision and involves hundreds of millions of dollars. Ohtani will carefully consider where he has a chance to win, where he'll have the opportunity for individual success, and where he and his family would enjoy living for the next 10 years, amongst other factors. It won't be a rushed, rash decision."

And then, on the other hand, it's: "Unless you say anything or anyone with your team tweets about him. Then none of the above matters because YOU'RE F*CKED AND YOU'RE OUT!"

If he values his privacy as much as he seems to, then it makes complete sense to give teams an ultimatum like "If you can't respect my privacy throughout the free agency process, then I don't trust you to keep in while I'm under contract and I don't want to be part of your organization."

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
From what I remember about Darvish, the Jays were one of the final candidates. I'm pretty sure they had the second high bid, but the Rangers blew everyone out of the water.

That's how I remember it. Nobody else was even the same neighborhood as the Rangers offer.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

I have to think people are exaggerating his privacy needs.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I feel like if the Jays had the sense they might not get Ohtani but have a deal on the table they would do for Soto they would pull the trigger to not be left empty handed, so I take reports of Yankee progress on Soto as a good sign.

I would too but i feel the Dodgers would be in the same camp; miss on Ohtani so they would go after Soto especially with Mookie moving to 2B.

I think SD is sitting pretty with Soto. So many teams lining up for Soto and teams will overpay greatly.

If we dont get Ohtani, im fine sitting out on Soto. He isnt forgoing free agency so you arent getting an extension.

Save your money by going after 1 year or short term deals so you can throw some money at Soto or Bregman next off-season without giving up prospects. Or go after Yamamoto and trade one of your pitchers for a bat.

Reactions: dubplatepressure

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Agreed. If the Jays are in it at this point and possibly down to the last two there is no question that the offer is substantial and likely the highest out there. As you say you can't force a player to sign. All you can ask is that the team does their best to make the case.

Now of course Ohtani is a unique case. It is easier to justify the money from a corporate point of view because of the immense new revenue streams he could bring.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Should do the Alpha move of telling Ohtani you need a decision or you have to move on to Soto since winning orgs put the team first and seal the deal.

In all seriousness, I know the teams know exactly what's going on its only media incognito that fans get to see.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008

Man I hope not. I understand the Othani hype and not having to give up prospects and what it means off the field. But put me in the camp that Soto is going to have a bigger impact on the team he plays for next year. Would also free up the DH position for another impact bat.

Reactions: trellaine201

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Will be curious to see, I know Boras is pretty big on making his clients go to FA. But the Yankees at least in the past are one of the teams that pony up. Especially since it's been rumored Soto wanted to go back East.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I would too but i feel the Dodgers would be in the same camp; miss on Ohtani so they would go after Soto especially with Mookie moving to 2B.

I think SD is sitting pretty with Soto. So many teams lining up for Soto and teams will overpay greatly.

If we dont get Ohtani, im fine sitting out on Soto. He isnt forgoing free agency so you arent getting an extension.

Save your money by going after 1 year or short term deals so you can throw some money at Soto or Bregman next off-season without giving up prospects. Or go after Yamamoto and trade one of your pitchers for a bat.

Yamamoto is projected to get close to $300 mil. Mets and Dodgers are hot and heavy on the guy.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Preparing myself to se the Jays missing out on Othani and Soto. Just a Jays thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad