Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
How many pitchers have gotten over 300 million in history? Is Cole the only one?

On 1 hand it makes it seem crazy to make the 2nd highest paid pitcher in history a guy who's never thrown a MLB pitch. On the other hand if he's as good as they say he is there's never been an Ace available at 25 years old either. I wonder what part of it is regret from teams who didn't give Senga more last year. He very clearly outperformed expectations and got less than he should have probably because teams were wary of the risk

He’d only possess the second highest paid contract, but not necessarily be the second highest paid pitcher. Verlander is hitting 400m over his career, Scherzer is well over 300m, DeGrom will be at 300m, Kershaw’s next deal would put him over 300m, and Wheeler will likely eclipse 300m after his next deal.

So yes, rare to see a 300m deal, but that’s also because he’d be given the first 10 year contract for a pitcher since 1977.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I think Mitchell knows more than Passan at the moment.

That being said, I'm not sure Atkins even knows.

Seeing a lot more rumours of the Jays being interested in other players. I’m guessing they know they didn’t get Ohtani or suspect that is the case so they are pivoting.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
I think he’s coming. If he wanted to go to LA he would use the other big teams like the Yankees etc. to bring up his price.

With this much smoke around the Blue Jays there’s fire IMO. *Hopefully*

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Have to fill out the roster even if we get Ohtani. Lost 4 regulars from our lineup (Chapman, Belt, Kiermeier, and Merrifield).

Ohtani takes Belt's spot and Merrifields spot can be filled from within by an Otto Lopez if we wanted to go the same route with the roster.

A 3B and a LF are gonna have to come from outside the organization though.

Reactions: Ale Brew

TOCap1

Nov 14, 2009
Toronto
I think he’s coming. If he wanted to go to LA he would use the other big teams like the Yankees etc. to bring up his price.

With this much smoke around the Blue Jays there’s fire IMO. *Hopefully*

I tend to agree. I’d like to think *hopefully* that if Atkins had any inkling that he wasn’t coming then he would have made a move on Soto. I get NYY upped the offer and it may have been more than fans would have been willing to pay but I don’t think a guy who’s jobs on the line would care to overpay to get a guy like Soto.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Have to fill out the roster even if we get Ohtani. Lost 4 regulars from our lineup (Chapman, Belt, Kiermeier, and Merrifield).
Thats where those 40-man pieces we have been bringing up come into play:
Horwitz
Schneider
Plus Biggio and Espinal likely to see an increased role.

Ale Brew

Feb 24, 2020
Thats where those 40-man pieces we have been bringing up come into play:
Horwitz
Schneider
Plus Biggio and Espinal likely to see an increased role.
I don’t disagree, with Ohtani I’m fine with internal contributions. That said, with such a big investment, this is a go for it year and I think they add at least one or two more bats. Maybe not huge impact guys, but vets who can contribute.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I don’t disagree, with Ohtani I’m fine with internal contributions. That said, with such a big investment, this is a go for it year and I think they add at least one or two more bats. Maybe not huge impact guys, but vets who can contribute.
Oh I also forgot Lantigua, Lopez, and Barger. Its kind of nice that we are able to start producing some depth pieces to contribute (thanks dev facility)

Reactions: Discoverer

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I can't say I know much about the Yankees players but their numbers look really solid and the BTV Jays equvalent is something like Tiedemann, Manoah, Barriera, Zulueta and Pearson. Which is a clear no from our side.
See, this is what would immediately make me pause if I were a GM working out a trade with the Yankees. Considering multiple times the Yankees have made a "prospects for great player" trade and the prospects have turned out to be overrated and not as good as advertised, I'd want to know WHY they're so willing to give up so much compared to everyone else. Do they know something they're hoping the Padres don't notice until it's too late, again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad