Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Disappointed we're not in on Yamamoto as a fallback for Ohtani. I know we need a bat but he's and elite pitcher who can potentially win games for you by himself. We could then move an arm for a bat.

Reactions: TimeZone

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Disappointed we're not in on Yamamoto as a fallback for Ohtani. I know we need a bat but he's and elite pitcher who can potentially win games for you by himself. We could then move an arm for a bat.

Last I heard like a third of the league is pitching to him, Jays included. Atkins personally scouted him multiple times this past year so I’d imagine he still has some level of pursuit there.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
I'm glad the Jays aren't throwing so many prospects away for 1 year of Soto.

Ale Brew

Feb 24, 2020
I love the idea of Yamamoto, but $300M for a guy who’s never pitched in MLB is a huge commitment. Hopefully those numbers have been exaggerated by the media or his representatives.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

yeah 0 chance I even wanted to try to top this. Hopefully Boras holds true to form and Soto goes to market next winter

Yankees never gave up Volpe. Yankee call in fans on WFAN was right then. They said Padres would have to come back to them because they had the prospects.

They never gave up Dominguez nor Peraza. That's good deal for Yankees.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I love the idea of Yamamoto, but $300M for a guy who’s never pitched in MLB is a huge commitment. Hopefully those numbers have been exaggerated by the media or his representatives.

It is a pretty risky investment because of his size, but age, repertoire, and accolades are all big big pluses. Even then him at 30m AAV would make him the 7th highest salary amongst pitchers, and there isn’t a guy under the age of 30 close to that mark. It makes him a very unique cornerstone and franchise altering player since you get him potentially for 10 full years of ace quality pitching.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
It is a pretty risky investment because of his size, but age, repertoire, and accolades are all big big pluses. Even then him at 30m AAV would make him the 7th highest salary amongst pitchers, and there isn’t a guy under the age of 30 close to that mark. It makes him a very unique cornerstone and franchise altering player since you get him potentially for 10 full years of ace quality pitching.

Or you have a 300 million anchor around your franchise's neck.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If we don't get Ohtani I would spend the money on a JD Martinez. He had .900 OPS last year only made 10 million. Hit 33 homers and over 100 RBIs. Be good veteran for our youth.

Should be enough money left over to sign a Yamamoto.

Reactions: phillipmike

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Yankees never gave up Volpe. Yankee call in fans on WFAN was right then. They said Padres would have to come back to them because they had the prospects.

They never gave up Dominguez nor Peraza. That's good deal for Yankees.

I can't say I know much about the Yankees players but their numbers look really solid and the BTV Jays equvalent is something like Tiedemann, Manoah, Barriera, Zulueta and Pearson. Which is a clear no from our side.

Sure the Padres ask may have come down, but if it did it was silly to begin with. Volpe has like 3 times the value of Soto. Dominguez was never going to be a headliner if the Padres wanted mlb ready pitching as Dominguez + King is way too much. Substitute Dominguez for King perhaps. Peraza was reasonable. But the extra pieces were MLB arms which is likely why Perza isn't in there. San Diego preffered arms. Dominguez + Peraza has about the same value as they gave up. San Diego could have went that route probably if they preferred position players. Getting what they got plus those 2 was never going to happen. Let alone Volpe.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I can't say I know much about the Yankees players but their numbers look really solid and the BTV Jays equvalent is something like Tiedemann, Manoah, Barriera, Zulueta and Pearson. Which is a clear no from our side.

Sure the Padres ask may have come down, but if it did it was silly to begin with. Volpe has like 3 times the value of Soto. Dominguez was never going to be a headliner if the Padres wanted mlb ready pitching as Dominguez + King is way too much. Substitute Dominguez for King perhaps. Peraza was reasonable. But the extra pieces were MLB arms which is likely why Perza isn't in there. San Diego preffered arms.
Yankee fans were saying their arms are MLB ready. But mid rotation upside. They said the catcher was everyday catcher though. But I don't know their prospects.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
How many pitchers have gotten over 300 million in history? Is Cole the only one?

On 1 hand it makes it seem crazy to make the 2nd highest paid pitcher in history a guy who's never thrown a MLB pitch. On the other hand if he's as good as they say he is there's never been an Ace available at 25 years old either. I wonder what part of it is regret from teams who didn't give Senga more last year. He very clearly outperformed expectations and got less than he should have probably because teams were wary of the risk

Emerica

May 29, 2010

mmmh hmmm.. makes sense

images

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Or you have a 300 million anchor around your franchise's neck.

Less of a concern for me when he’s 25 and just 3 peated the triple crown. We have 40 year olds making 40m and guys getting 5/185 at 34 despite not throwing 100+ innings in a season three years in a row (yes I know DeGrom made every start in 2020).

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
How many pitchers have gotten over 300 million in history? Is Cole the only one?

On 1 hand it makes it seem crazy to make the 2nd highest paid pitcher in history a guy who's never thrown a MLB pitch. On the other hand if he's as good as they say he is there's never been an Ace available at 25 years old either. I wonder what part of it is regret from teams who didn't give Senga more last year. He very clearly outperformed expectations and got less than he should have probably because teams were wary of the risk
He also wouldn’t really be the second highest paid pitcher. Other guys have made more year to year with less term.
And part of that 300m is the posting fee. So won’t get that much even if it is what it costs the club

Reactions: Eyedea
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad