OT: The Movie Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Finally watched The Batman last night. While I appreciate that it’s well done it just didn’t work for me. Too long, too dark, too mopey. Pattinson’s Batman is the Kylo Ren of Batmans.

Another thing that kind of struck me- they more or less drop us in the middle of this story without any real introduction to the characters. It works, or at least doesn’t fail, because we know them all by now. But I wonder if you could even make this movie if the characters weren’t so well known.

Anyway yes, it’s a “good” film but probably not one I’ll watch multiple times.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Finally watched The Batman last night. While I appreciate that it’s well done it just didn’t work for me. Too long, too dark, too mopey. Pattinson’s Batman is the Kylo Ren of Batmans.

Another thing that kind of struck me- they more or less drop us in the middle of this story without any real introduction to the characters. It works, or at least doesn’t fail, because we know them all by now. But I wonder if you could even make this movie if the characters weren’t so well known.

Anyway yes, it’s a “good” film but probably not one I’ll watch multiple times.
I mean, regardless of how directors put their own spin on him dark and mopey sounds exactly like Batman to me. Specifically early, still struggling with his parents deaths Batman.

Reactions: Lord Defect

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I mean, regardless of how directors put their own spin on him dark and mopey sounds exactly like Batman to me. Specifically early, still struggling with his parents deaths Batman.
I get that but almost three hours and I don’t think he changed expression once. It just seemed like overkill to me. The first Nolan film started out just pre-Batman Bruce Wayne and that character at least seemed like a functional human. Here he’s already got the suit and everything, so he’s been the bat for a while.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I don’t get the appeal of his movies
Yeah I love Key and Peele as people and comedians. Peele as a horror movie director I’m kind of 50/50 on. Get Out was great but I feel a bit overrated. Us should’ve been great and had its great moments but really missed the mark in a couple ways. Haven’t seen Nope but I’ve heard pretty mixed reactions.

He did the screenplay for Keanu, Twilight Zone reboot, and Candyman. Haven’t seen Candyman but heard it’s not great and definitely didn’t get much buzz. Twilight Zone and Keanu were kinda bad.

I think he has a brand as a director at this point. I’m not one for movies as messages or being entirely based around perceived subtleties, but so far I feel he’s been pretty 50/50 as a director. I like him but I think he’s a bit overrated.

I think I’d be calling all his movies master works though if I were an A24 fan.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Yeah I love Key and Peele as people and comedians. Peele as a horror movie director I’m kind of 50/50 on. Get Out was great but I feel a bit overrated. Us should’ve been great and had its great moments but really missed the mark in a couple ways. Haven’t seen Nope but I’ve heard pretty mixed reactions.

He did the screenplay for Keanu, Twilight Zone reboot, and Candyman. Haven’t seen Candyman but heard it’s not great and definitely didn’t get much buzz. Twilight Zone and Keanu were kinda bad.

I think he has a brand as a director at this point. I’m not one for movies as messages or being entirely based around perceived subtleties, but so far I feel he’s been pretty 50/50 as a director. I like him but I think he’s a bit overrated.

I think I’d be calling all his movies master works though if I were an A24 fan.
A24?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Watched Boiling Point (2021) tonight...

been meaning to for a while.

Thought it was good, engaging... would have given it like a ~7.5.

Then I read afterwards that... IT IS A PROPER f***ING ONE TAKE.

The whole 90 minutes. Insane.

Also, read that the film was effectively spawned due to Band of Brothers... as every major player involved met while filming it as actors.... Graham, Ruspoli and Barantini. Which is cool.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Watched Boiling Point (2021) tonight...

been meaning to for a while.

Thought it was good, engaging... would have given it like a ~7.5.

Then I read afterwards that... IT IS A PROPER f***ING ONE TAKE.

The whole 90 minutes. Insane.

Also, read that the film was effectively spawned due to Band of Brothers... as every major player involved met while filming it as actors.... Graham, Ruspoli and Barantini. Which is cool.
A British drama from 2021 about cooking and chefs and kitchen stuff? Spawned from band of brothers?

Reactions: Appleyard

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I didn’t really watch their show but I did appreciate each skit I saw online.
I really need to make the effort to watch his movies.

All 3 of his directed movies have been great so far. Wholly original too which is refreshing. Each have elements of horror/thiller and thought-provoking social commentary. I'd personally rank them.

1 - Nope (9.5/10)
2 - Get Out (8.5/10)
3 - Us (8/10)

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Everything everywhere all at once is so confusing. Idk what’s going on.

Idk what I just watched

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Amorgus

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Famous movie production company probably most notorious for their horror movies in recent years. Midsommar, Hereditary, The Witch, Ex Machina, Men, X, The Lighthouse, Everything Everywhere All At Once, The Green Knoght, etc.

They typically fare great with critics and split audiences because they’re heavy on thematics and subtlety.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm incredibly indifferent to the idea of a Heat prequel. Heat is peak-Mann in terms of character and action and photography (I'm not sure that guy exists today), but you can't pretend it's not mostly a Pacino-De Niro vehicle. "Two legends meet for the first time!" The characters are well written and complex, but that fact is unavoidable. Does anyone watch that movie and thing it begs for a prequel? Do you really care about McCauley and Hanna's backstory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad