OT: The Movie Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Have there been any excellent movie adaptations of games?
Some would argue the Sonic movies were excellent. What I’ve seen of them is good. Halo: Forward Unto Dawn I would say is excellent if brief. Most people consider Detective Pikachu to be pretty good and the first Jovovich Resident Evil to be good. Werewolves Within is a horror comedy that just came out, is apparently a video game movie, and is supposed to be really good.

Would depend on your definition of excellent in this context, but I’d say Halo: Forward Unto Dawn is excellent and oddly under recognized as even existing. Werewolves Within, according to critic reception, might be the only excellent video game movie otherwise. It’s got an 86 and 81 critic and audience score on RT.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
why do i feel like this is such a hugely underrated film
Because it is. It gets dismissed as “simple” or “boring” because nearly the entire film takes place in one room. But the writing and performances are absolutely as good as it gets and the film’s message is a powerful one.

Have there been any excellent movie adaptations of games?
Tron, while ridiculously hokey, is a guilty pleasure. And yes, I’m old enough to remember playing Tron in arcades.

Reactions: ajgoal and trostol

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I remember reading an interview with Dan Houser once about how he was often asked to make a GTA movie.

He said something like "why would I make a movie? It's so limiting," which makes perfect sense. A movie is such an inferior experience if you're coming from the game.

It’s also pointless because most of the GTA game take heavy inspiration from already popular movies & TV shows. Same with the Red Dead games & Westerns.

I’m not knocking them because they make for great games even from a story telling aspect. But it wouldn’t translate well into a movie or tv show.

Reactions: flyersnorth

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
IF YOU PEOPLE DON'T GET TODAY'S FRAMED IN ONE GUESS IMMA KICK YOU IN THE BABY MAKER
You don’t have to kick me there unless you want to.

A92563E0-EEE5-4879-B008-BC06028C97CC.jpeg

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Had the misfortune of watching the latest awful Jurassic Park movie. I'd recommend doing anything else with your 2.5 hours, anything at all... Mexican League eighth tier scoreless draw soccer, taking a nap, even a Murder She Wrote marathon.

I only saw the first Jurassic World movie (of the Chris Pratt movies) and man, Bryce Dallas Howard's character is truly f***ing awful.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I thought the first Silent Hill was the best video game movie but I need to watch Detective Pikachu again to see who wins. Super Mario Brothers wins the WTF IS THIS Video Game Movie Award for all time. What a glorious train wreck

Diaper Mask Bandits

Jan 15, 2022
not a movie but a couple of months ago I watched the pilot of Beverly Hills 90210, and now up to season 3. I watch while I work.
I had no interest in the show when it originally aired but wow this show is amazing.

Brandon and Dylan are so dreamy

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I thought the first Silent Hill was the best video game movie but I need to watch Detective Pikachu again to see who wins. Super Mario Brothers wins the WTF IS THIS Video Game Movie Award for all time. What a glorious train wreck
I'm not sure if you saw the "Street Fighter" movie with Jean Claude Van Damme, but that's gotta be one of the all time worst.... Other than Raul Julia's brave attempt to salvage anything positive from the script... while dealing with terminal cancer!

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.”

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I'm not sure if you saw the "Street Fighter" movie with Jean Claude Van Damme, but that's gotta be one of the all time worst.... Other than Raul Julia's brave attempt to salvage anything positive from the script... while dealing with terminal cancer!

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.”

That "Tuesday" quote will make that performance live forever. I still modify that quote for my own purposes.

Although I must give an honorable mention to Zangief's "Quick, change the channel!".

Reactions: Beendair Donedat

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Lol no...it was awful. The Australian character was the only good part
I liked it for what it was at the time. I don't remember all that much about it in all honesty but I do know that I enjoyed it after the first watch.

The beginning with Hanzo (Scorpion) and Bi-Han (Sub-Zero) was very good but then it devolved from there obviously.

Reactions: Lord Defect

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I liked it for what it was at the time. I don't remember all that much about it in all honesty but I do know that I enjoyed it after the first watch.

The beginning with Hanzo (Scorpion) and Bi-Han (Sub-Zero) was very good but then it devolved from there obviously.
Yeah that’s pretty much all I can remember atm. I do remember Kano being better than the first movie Kano but nothing specific comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad