The Management Thread | Live, Play, Repeat Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
However, you are ignoring Canuck Luck-Low valued Draft where top picks are average.

"2021 Draft Lottery winners your Vancouver Canucks."

Though I kinda like the idea of having a guy with an action figure's name.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Tbf, I think all 3 of these people have been critical of Benning's decisions throughout his reign. (as they should have been, of course)
That's kind of my point with those quotes, though, each one mentioning that this has been coming for a long time. To most anyone who doesn't have an obvious interest shilling for management (to gain access, protect their pal from the Old Boys' Network, etc.) the level of competence from management has been pretty clear throughout – it's not a recent turn.

I don’t understand why anyone is surprised that a team has to go into a down cycle after a historic and legendary run to the Final Eight like the Canucks had.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
its time to fire benning.

there was another tweet by blake price. saying that from an NHL source if canucks lose saturday... heads will be chopped off. im exaggerating that part but you know what i mean. could the team playing this poorly because of the way benning constructed the team..

I hadn’t seen those Horvat quotes.

On top of Miller’s shock at the reboot you certainly don’t like hearing the moves angered and confused your captain.

The players are just employees. The managers don’t manage they’re just bosses.

It’s so dysfunctional I thought I’d feel better watching the house of cards crumble but I just feel bad. I feel bad for the players. The fans who knew this day was coming.

Being right hurts.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Being right hurts.

I said all along that hoped I was wrong. I wanted to be wrong. Part of me still does but it sure doesn’t seem like that will happen.

It sucks but hopefully ownership can finally wake the f*** up and fire the front office, hire a president and keep their fingers the f*** out of hockey ops beyond the normal budget and goal setting.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Come on, boys. Lay a massive f***ing egg again on Saturday so we can get on with the firings. I’m cheering hard for a blowout, my patience has run its course with this f***tard

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
I hadn’t seen those Horvat quotes.

On top of Miller’s shock at the reboot you certainly don’t like hearing the moves angered and confused your captain.

The players are just employees. The managers don’t manage they’re just bosses.

It’s so dysfunctional I thought I’d feel better watching the house of cards crumble but I just feel bad. I feel bad for the players. The fans who knew this day was coming.

Being right hurts.

When the players believe either that the plan isn’t working or that there’s no plan at all, how are the fans expected to accept that the team is worth supporting?
FA is just lucky he doesn’t have to try and sell tickets to this dumpster fire.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
At this stage I think the most likely scenario is as follows:
-team misses playoffs (finishes 2nd to last in the division) and gets a top 10 pick.
-JB/management let go after season - per media reports there are outs on the 2 years remaining on his contract.
-new management hired (please Lawrence Gilman) and they do the Gillis/Vigneault thing with Green. i.e. interview process to see if he is the guy to continue as coach or not.

This makes so much sense from a COVID cost savings standpoint. A capable first time GM like Gilman will be relatively inexpensive. JB buyout will probably be much less than 2 years. If decision is to move on from Green there is nothing owed to him. This will all happen after the season because it will cost $$ to do it mid season and the last game is only 13 weeks away.

And, lets face it, this next summer will likely be the most consequential in terms of contract signings for the next decade. I have to believe that ownership recognizes that that's the weakest part of current management's "tool box".

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
When the players believe either that the plan isn’t working or that there’s no plan at all, how are the fans expected to accept that the team is worth supporting?
FA is just lucky he doesn’t have to try and sell tickets to this dumpster fire.

Most salient point of the day made here. Expect corporate support to be way down even after fans are allowed back in. If they don't improve significantly, this could be the 80s all over again with average attendance in the 12K to 13K range.

Last edited:

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
That's kind of my point with those quotes, though, each one mentioning that this has been coming for a long time. To most anyone who doesn't have an obvious interest shilling for management (to gain access, protect their pal from the Old Boys' Network, etc.) the level of competence from management has been pretty clear throughout – it's not a recent turn.

oh to drink the water of Mt. Pleasant

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah, I'm surprised so many people's tipping point is the Sibsa extension. I was already off the boat by the time the Kesler/Pick 6/Miller decisions were made, more so because they confirmed that they would be no rebuild and that Benning would target the wrong pieces in a retool anyway

You can disagree with the moves a GM make and not be happy with the direction but still give the new guy the benefit of the doubt that he at least knows what he's doing. A lot of fans wanted a hard rebuild but actual ownership/management is always going to leans toward a soft retool first and the team showed that season that with the boost from Bonino and Vrbata (Miller still remains redundant and a waste) it still had some life left in it. So rather it was the Sbisa and Dorsett extensions where Benning first tossed away the benefit of the doubt and showed his true long-game incompetency.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Ugh I hate this shit so much. Why not just fire them today? Why do we have to wait to fulfill some dramatic narrative climax? We all know they should be fired, the outcome of one extra game won't change that.

If it is true, pretty scary that just one game could decide 7 years of the job, regardless of me liking the guy or not. Like, that's peak impulsivity.

Reactions: I am toxic

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
good morning everyone! Sun's shining, Jimbo's seat is getting hotter, another big fat embarrassing L under our belts. Some in the media are saying "no way Frankie fires Jimbo mid-season because he's so cheap and wouldn't pay someone not to work". Some in the media are saying "Frankie will fire Jimbo mid-season because he hates being embarrassed on the national stage and having his image tarnished". All we know is the OBC Toronto tides are slowly turning ... Friedman said the Kuz article was a mistake ... Gord Miller renegged on his apology tweet ... LeBrun calling out ownership on 1040.

The best part is we might be seeing for the first time ever a team lose to get their GM fired.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
good morning everyone! Sun's shining, Jimbo's seat is getting hotter, another big fat embarrassing L under our belts. Some in the media are saying "no way Frankie fires Jimbo mid-season because he's so cheap and wouldn't pay someone not to work". Some in the media are saying "Frankie will fire Jimbo mid-season because he hates being embarrassed on the national stage and having his image tarnished". All we know is the OBC Toronto tides are slowly turning ... Friedman said the Kuz article was a mistake ... Gord Miller renegged on his apology tweet ... LeBrun calling out ownership on 1040.

The best part is we might be seeing for the first time ever a team lose to get their GM fired.
Gord Miller made some copout BS about meaning something else by that original tweet.

Gutless cowardice on top of arrogance and ignorance.

He can begin attempting to redeem himself by apologizing and acknowledging he doesn't have the same knowledge as close fans of the team.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
It surprises me how many just eat whatever the media says. Most of these guys are just like you and me with broadcast journalism degrees. There is the occasional Ray Ferraro or Craig Button that has a background in hockey and knows what they are actually talking about, but then you have bias to consider. It's clear that Button knows Benning and is hesitant to say anything negative out of respect just by how he talks about Jim.

Come to your own conclusions. I'm sure when you have a 30,000 foot view over the Canucks like most of the national media do, the moves look good. But don't just say "Well IMac knows what he's talking about, he spends more time around the team than anyone else!" and then ignore that this is basically a guy that could post here except he went to journalism school and that there are intricate politics that go into getting the good scoops and that you have to chum up to the guys in charge to do that.

I miss Tony Gallagher, f***.

Reactions: Shattered Dreams

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Another embarrassing loss needs to happen and you just gotta hope that getting destroyed on the main stage will cause Aquaman to finally free us from a Benning.

Reactions: vanuck

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't believe anything happens this weekend. Interim gm John weisfraud? No thanks

Agreed. They're also in Toronto until Monday/Tuesday. Even if they get throttled no changes will happen until Tuesday.

Even still, don't think they make a GM change. Coach maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad