The Management Thread | Live, Play, Repeat Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
That's kind of my point with those quotes, though, each one mentioning that this has been coming for a long time. To most anyone who doesn't have an obvious interest shilling for management (to gain access, protect their pal from the Old Boys' Network, etc.) the level of competence from management has been pretty clear throughout – it's not a recent turn.

That tweet should be a sticky.

I hadn’t seen those Horvat quotes.

On top of Miller’s shock at the reboot you certainly don’t like hearing the moves angered and confused your captain.

The players are just employees. The managers don’t manage they’re just bosses.

It’s so dysfunctional I thought I’d feel better watching the house of cards crumble but I just feel bad. I feel bad for the players. The fans who knew this day was coming.

Being right hurts.
IDK, feels pretty good to me.

There hasn't been hope of winning until Benning is gone. Finally, finally, it appears he might be gone.

It was far more painful following this team knowing they have no chance and no end in the horizon, than seeing it come tumbling down and knowing there's potential again.

Weisbrod needs to be first out the door though.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Agreed.

There is no way Benning can be allowed to fire the coach right now. His position is too precarious to be allowed to make such an important decision, and nobody with any qualifications would take the job in such an unstable situation.

Moreover, the media heat right now is far more on the GM than on the head coach.

It is also a season where it would be possible to change a GM mid-season (new guy could do most of his job from his office during a 14-day quarantine) but changing a coach mid-season is nearly impossible unless you're just promoting an assistant.

The simplest thing to do would be to wait for the summer but as pressure ramps up I don't know if that will be possible.

The biggest irony is that a global pandemic saved Jim Bennings job and offered him a lifeline by getting them into the crapshoot playoffs in 2020. The team drew a weak Wild team and a Blues team that got demoralized by shit goaltending, followed by one of the best tandem goaltending performances in round 2. So much luck happened for him and it was like God himself wanted to help him.

The team had the most success in the post season in over a decade. How does Jim Benning respond? Letting Stetcher, Tanev, Markstrom and Toffoli go. Offsetting this with Hamonic, Holtby and Schmidt.

Despite what 2020 gave him...despite it all...He STILL managed to royally screw up.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Yup I’ve liked most of Bennings moves. I wasn’t a fan of the Eriksson contract. We have one of the best young cores in the league. He’s done a good job at assembling young talent
Hmmmm...
Rose coloured glasses - check
Child-like optomism -check
Lack of any useful hockey knowledge-check
Absence of logic - check

Must be nice to be you.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Imagine if, Seattle, like Vegas is immediately better than the Nucks and GMJB is still 'aw shucksing' his way into our hearts.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The biggest irony is that a global pandemic saved Jim Bennings job and offered him a lifeline by getting them into the crapshoot playoffs in 2020. The team drew a weak Wild team and a Blues team that got demoralized by shit goaltending, followed by one of the best tandem goaltending performances in round 2. So much luck happened for him and it was like God himself wanted to help him.

The team had the most success in the post season in over a decade. How does Jim Benning respond? Letting Stetcher, Tanev, Markstrom and Toffoli go. Offsetting this with Hamonic, Holtby and Schmidt.

Despite what 2020 gave him...despite it all...He STILL managed to royally screw up.

The most incredible thing about that is that after the pandemic saved his job, Benning's fans have the audacity to claim that poor Jim was totally screwed over by the flat cap, or otherwise everything would be fine.

And that's even though the lucky break they caught on the Ferland LTIR basically completely negates the implications of the flat cap.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Why Rutherford? Didn’t he retire?

he abruptly quit a week ago for personal reasons. you can spin a yarn from that which goes something like this.

if i was benning feeling the internal heat of being aquaman's hatchet man i would have been trying to recruit a likeable likeminded oldschool guy in his salad days like rutherford as president of hockey operations since the end of the playoffs.

if i was aquaman i would be surfing on benning on recruiting his own replacement because nobody in hockey would talk to me. i would also like rutherford as a guy with a reputation of being loved by his stars so as to try and mend fences with petey and hughes, because i think even aquaman realizes that the offseason has massively alienated the team. i would also assume he is old and pliable enough to maybe still get my way.

so, i actually think rutherford is a possibility. i would even speculate he has a cooling off period in his contract after he resigns which may have been the reason behind the sudden resignation so he can jump ship in, say, 2.5 months.

it's obviously wide open speculation.

as for whether benning deserves this, i still don't know. the ruthless shit he did in the offseason hdoes have a typical aquaman "get me shiny new toys every year" feel to it. it doesn't really matter though. he did it, and the team has turned on him for it, and i think petey is gone unless things change significantly or maybe just gone.

as for whether rutherford will work a cure, i doubt it, but maybe. he is old school hockey enough to put aquaman in his place and aquaman is very vulnerable right now, but he is also old school enough to go along what an owner wants. i believe what this town really needs is a gm or president who can freeze aquaman out of the decision process. that is probably unobtainable, and nobody smart enough to really try it would take the job here when they could take a job on another team with a less difficult owner. maybe petey can do it. i dunno.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Imagine if, Seattle, like Vegas is immediately better than the Nucks and GMJB is still 'aw shucksing' his way into our hearts.
I mean if Benning is still GM next season, I don't think Seattle being better is a stretch at all.

I bet Benning is watching this team right now and thinking "Tyson Barrie could really help us"

Reactions: wonton15

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
The most incredible thing about that is that after the pandemic saved his job, Benning's fans have the audacity to claim that poor Jim was totally screwed over by the flat cap, or otherwise everything would be fine.

And that's even though the lucky break they caught on the Ferland LTIR basically completely negates the implications of the flat cap.

benning was absolutely screwed over by covid. it caused him some huge problems.

but he didn't have to make the decisions he did in the off season. he could have regrouped and sat tight. instead he gambled on ditching two key players and another popular player to try and improve the mix. it has not worked. the team is visibly frustrated and angry about it. they are quitting in a way they have not done since he was hired. his star player just made a move that could signal forcing a trade request.

to me he is doomed.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Hmmmm...
Rose coloured glasses - check
Child-like optomism -check
Lack of any useful hockey knowledge-check
Absence of logic - check

Must be nice to be you.

you would really enjoy listening to my five year old yelling at myers on the tv

children are smart yo

Reactions: 420Canuck

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
he abruptly quit a week ago for personal reasons. you can spin a yarn from that which goes something like this.

if i was benning feeling the internal heat of being aquaman's hatchet man i would have been trying to recruit a likeable likeminded oldschool guy in his salad days like rutherford as president of hockey operations since the end of the playoffs.

if i was aquaman i would be surfing on benning on recruiting his own replacement because nobody in hockey would talk to me. i would also like rutherford as a guy with a reputation of being loved by his stars so as to try and mend fences with petey and hughes, because i think even aquaman realizes that the offseason has massively alienated the team. i would also assume he is old and pliable enough to maybe still get my way.

so, i actually think rutherford is a possibility. i would even speculate he has a cooling off period in his contract after he resigns which may have been the reason behind the sudden resignation so he can jump ship in, say, 2.5 months.

as for whether benning deserves this, i still don't know. the ruthless shit he did in the offseason hdoes have a typical aquaman "get me shiny new toys every year" feel to it. it doesn't really matter though. he did it, and the team has turned on him for it, and i think petey is gone unless things change significantly or maybe just gone.

as for whether rutherford will work a cure, i doubt it, but maybe. he is old school hockey enough to put aquaman in his place and aquaman is very vulnerable right now, but he is also old school enough to go along what an owner wants. i believe what this town really needs is a gm or president who can freeze aquaman out of the decision process. that is probably unobtainable, and nobody smart enough to really try it would take the job here when they could take a job on another team with a less difficult owner. maybe petey can do it. i dunno.

There is a 0% chance that Jimmy Rutherford is this team's next GM, for a multitude of reasons.

Reactions: geebaan

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
If the disastrous performances continue there is no way all these people last until the end of the season. Once the market turns they will need to address things immediately...and the market is getting close to turning.
I hear you. I just don't think it happens in 13 weeks primarily because ownership is focused on cost savings big time. In any other season I would fully agree.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I hear you. I just don't think it happens in 13 weeks primarily because ownership is focused on cost savings big time. In any other season I would fully agree.
What’s the source on them being focused on cost savings?

He’s spending to the cap and then some.

A few $100k isn’t dramatically effecting the bottom line.

They paid the same positions more money this season.

I don’t see evidence they are putting a premium on cost saving.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
What’s the source on them being focused on cost savings?

He’s spending to the cap and then some.

A few $100k isn’t dramatically effecting the bottom line.

They paid the same positions more money this season.

I don’t see evidence they are putting a premium on cost saving.

Well, ask the 50 people who got laid off by the organization - reported on Global in July - after whole staff was asked to take 20% pay cut.

Not re-upping Green to me is a sign of cost control. Not for this year but not wanting to get into a long term contract for future years.

They're spending to the cap because they are in such a terrible mess cap wise that they have to, at least until some contracts wash out.

Basically they're trying to save as much money as they can focusing more on the off-ice costs. You're right, that doesn't save as much as getting rid of a big contract or not signing Holtby. But replacing the general manger at cost is not going to improve competitiveness in the next 13 weeks.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009

I would bet money on Seattle being instantly better than us, front office and on the ice. Fully expect Gallant to coach them to the playoffs

Reactions: vanuck

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Benning's inability to manage the salary cap was established very early on in his tenure as GM of this team and we opted to keep him on the job anyways. Now - surprise surprise - his cap mismanagement is crippling our promising young team.

I'm just a casual fan nowadays but it's still been depressing watching this trainwreck that has been years in the making.

Reactions: vanuck

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Has your opinion of Jim Benning changed?

Some absolute doozies in here. Some Florida fan liked one of my posts in there to refresh my memory.
Gotta love that in early 2020, people were arguing that "pre 2017" was where all the bad Benning transactions happened, and critics just "can't let go." Then I check when Beagle/Roussel/Myers/Ferland/Holtby was signed, when the Toffoli trade happened, and when we let Markstrom/Tanev/Stecher walked off for free. Yup, major improvement there.
"Fortunately, it looks like Benning is finally getting some credit from the media, and from around the league." That line cracks me up.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It absolutely did not. It saved his job.

If the pandemic never happens, the cap goes up, and Micheal Ferland is healthy enough to be trundled around in our bottom-6, this team is in the exact same position cap-wise as they are now.

can anyone else visit this alternate covid free reality or just you? asking for 7 billion friends.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

i think rutherford stepped down for a combo of being really old, not wanting to/being allowed to deal with the fallout of the jarrod skalde wrongful termination lawsuit, and going away because it happened on his watch. i don't think he's coming back.

benning was absolutely screwed over by covid. it caused him some huge problems.

this reminds me of this one time years ago when one of my students came to my office to ask for an extra credit assignment after i handed back midterms. the specifics don't really matter and he got the chance to improve his grade he was asking for, but for some reason how he described the test always stuck with me. "i did okay on the multiple choice but got screwed by the paragraph answers."

benning got screwed over by covid the same way that kid got screwed over by the paragraph answers. he prepared for the test by memorizing all the names and dates and hoping for the best.

covid provided a challenge that benning could have been much more prepared to handle if he hadn't sunk $12 million in myers and eriksson, another $6 million in beagle and roussel, paid sutter whatever sutter costs, etc.

just not signing myers the year before, when we all knew tanev was 12 months from expiring, would have been enough to bring tanev back. not holding roussel, spooner's buyout, and baertschi's buried contract could have brought toffoli and stecher back.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
The under the radar part of the Ferland signing is they knew his contract was UNINSURABLE when they registered it but they did it anyway. This means, unlike other players, if he went on the LTIR no insurance company was going to pay the freight like they do with other players. I mean, who had a greater likelihood (probably in the whole NHL) of going on the LTIR than Ferland.

Surely this effected who they were allowed to sign this year.

It is mind boggling stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad