The GM Mode Prospect Thread

Eple

It ain't easy being
Mar 7, 2010
Turku
Noticed something very change when I started a simulation with all teams replaced with Euro league teams.

After I think it was year 2 (It's was a while ago) many players' stats just skyrocketed come trade deadline. Like some mediocre players with sub-80 overall with 3,5 stars were suddenly 95 overalls and their trade value increased accordingly. However come the next preseason they were back to their previous sub-80 overalls. That never occured in the seasons after.

Wonder what happened there. And it wasn't just some odd player but this happened to many players.

Eple

It ain't easy being
Mar 7, 2010
Turku
Monahan is still an 82 ovr after 3 seasons...

59, 53, 54 point seasons. He won't progress, strange...

Didn't progress for me either. However Granlund jumped to 90 after few seasons and won a Hart, accompanied by Sprong (I think in the first draft, 2nd round, 4,5 red stars) winning the Richard.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Noticed something very change when I started a simulation with all teams replaced with Euro league teams.

After I think it was year 2 (It's was a while ago) many players' stats just skyrocketed come trade deadline. Like some mediocre players with sub-80 overall with 3,5 stars were suddenly 95 overalls and their trade value increased accordingly. However come the next preseason they were back to their previous sub-80 overalls. That never occured in the seasons after.

Wonder what happened there. And it wasn't just some odd player but this happened to many players.

The game bumps players stats up / down during the regular season based on their play, ice time, and success of the team.

Most of that information is in the Progress Reports section. Most of that "progress" is lost come off-season, only to be regained for most players once the next season roles around (player overalls tend to roll over around September 13 or 14 every year - right when you get your pre-season schedule and message from your boss with season expectations).

But darn, that sounds ridiculous! I've never seen anything like that, and it's even stranger that it only seemed to happen in one year for you

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
So I've started playing with injuries much higher.

One thing I've noticed:

If you can get your prospect some NHL time, even if it's 4th line duty, it really helps his progression.

I know it sounds a bit obvious, but lately I've been having to run a 4th line full of players in their very low 70s but with potential largely because of all the injuries my team has had to take on.

Once healthy, return them to the AHL, and at the end of the season they all seem to get really big jumps that I don't think they would normally get if they just spent the entire year in the AHL - which is a great way for them to play lots of minutes and put up points, but might not be the most efficient way to allow players to progress.

jskramer83

Nov 11, 2011
I have read a lot recently that keeping a player close to the "role" that he is assigned to is a big key to having them develop.

I am playing my first season of be a gm as the Rangers, and have Chris Kreider on the 1st line, but his player role says depth forward. Am I hurting his development by playing home on line 1?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
What does the 2015 Draft class look like in terms of quality? Are there a lot of 4 star Defensemen?

Yeah - the first 2 drafts are pretty strong.

The ones after that are generally highly random and variable from one person to the next as after 2015, it's almost all randomly generated players

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I have read a lot recently that keeping a player close to the "role" that he is assigned to is a big key to having them develop.

I am playing my first season of be a gm as the Rangers, and have Chris Kreider on the 1st line, but his player role says depth forward. Am I hurting his development by playing home on line 1?

I think it's more like give OFD PP time, 2-way too. Use DFD on PK since they're mission is to be great defensive players.

If someone's a depth fwd it means that they're current overall is quite low as he hasn't developed yet.

I'd use him on the 2nd line, 2nd PP unit and possibly on the PK.

Playmakers, snipers I usually only put on the PP lines not P.K.

2-way PK, possibly PP if he has nice offensive awareness etc.

So it's more about the playerTYPE that people are referring to.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Are some of the Russian prospects in the game? Kuznetsov and Vashilevsky from Washington and Tampa respectively?

Also - I can't seem to find Teuvo Teravainan in the game. I know he's in here, but can't find him; I want to improve his base stats so that he actually turns out to be a half decent player. I never see him develop.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Are some of the Russian prospects in the game? Kuznetsov and Vashilevsky from Washington and Tampa respectively?

Also - I can't seem to find Teuvo Teravainan in the game. I know he's in here, but can't find him; I want to improve his base stats so that he actually turns out to be a half decent player. I never see him develop.

download the latest roster update. Teravainen is there, he's property of Chicago. They've fixed him, he develops now.

kuz isn't in the game, not yet at least. Vas I have no idea, haven't looked.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Does anyone have any info about NHL ready prospects starting from the 2014 draft and going forward.

70+ ovr as draftees is what I'm looking for. If you know prospects like that pls share their draft years and what round they were picked in.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

It's a theory.

I've not found it to be true at all. I almost always play my top potential guys who are NHL ready, on the first line.

I think the key is, in those years right before their prime (22-25), as long as you aren't playing them below their role, they still develop really well.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
download the latest roster update. Teravainen is there, he's property of Chicago. They've fixed him, he develops now.

kuz isn't in the game, not yet at least. Vas I have no idea, haven't looked.

Thanks man.

I'll download the new update once I'm finished my current GM.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Does anyone have any info about NHL ready prospects starting from the 2014 draft and going forward.

70+ ovr as draftees is what I'm looking for. If you know prospects like that pls share their draft years and what round they were picked in.

Isn't half the fun of GM mode taking blind risks on prospects and seeing how they develop?

Knowing what prospects are good, and how they develop, and what sort of base overall they have at the time of draft, spoils about 75% of the fun of the mode..

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'm trying to edit future prospects for the 2015 draft.

How do I go about finding American prospects?

It just says "United States National Team Development Program" on much of their bios and wiki pages.

Any suggestions? Do Americans not play junior or something?

May 27, 2012
Earth
I'm trying to edit future prospects for the 2015 draft.

How do I go about finding American prospects?

It just says "United States National Team Development Program" on much of their bios and wiki pages.

Any suggestions? Do Americans not play junior or something?

Not all American prospects play in the CHL. There are only hand full of them in the game.

valo97

Mar 8, 2014
Thanks for that man. That helps - was unsure where the hell to find them.

I'm using the Draft Site website's info to edit some prospects.

i just edited some prospects in order to get the 2014 and 2015 draft the way it is supposed to be

now i simmed a test gm with the bruins and at the draft reinhart, ekblad and bennett went from 15-17

the first 14 guys were 1 5 green star goalie, 10 5 gold star goalies and the others 4.5 gold stars goalies :laugh:

right now simming a new gm mode to see if there is something with my roster or the game just went nuts

Hokie200proof

Jan 5, 2014
PS3
I'm on my phone so its not easy to find the post, but whoever said to bring rookies up for a few games, then send them back to the AHL, I've seen the same boost in their development. I'm not sure how it works exactly, but I had to turn to some really low rated rookies for a handful of games. I tired to make sure I didn't disqualify their rookie status (so couldn't have any of them up for more than 10 games... I think that's the cutoff). All of the guys who came up had positive ratings boosts, some of them were pretty big l, and maintained them after the season.

Not sure if this will work for the preseason games, but going to test it. Probably try to bring up as many
Prospects as I can and see if the same thing happens.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'm on my phone so its not easy to find the post, but whoever said to bring rookies up for a few games, then send them back to the AHL, I've seen the same boost in their development. I'm not sure how it works exactly, but I had to turn to some really low rated rookies for a handful of games. I tired to make sure I didn't disqualify their rookie status (so couldn't have any of them up for more than 10 games... I think that's the cutoff). All of the guys who came up had positive ratings boosts, some of them were pretty big l, and maintained them after the season.

Not sure if this will work for the preseason games, but going to test it. Probably try to bring up as many
Prospects as I can and see if the same thing happens.

I was the one that said it - it really does seem to work well with the very high potential prospects, even if they are only playing 4th line time, etc.

For D-men that have very low overall, I often play them as forward on the 4th line under 10 minutes a game for a few games before sending them back down.

It seems to add a lot more... certainty.. into player development in NHL 14 by doing it this way. My old method, of quite literally not bringing anyone up until they were 80 or above, worked nicely, but I also noticed that I would end up with a lot of very low overall prospects that wouldn't break through until they were 25 or 26 years old

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Managed to get a gem when my otherwise amazing Panther BAGM got plagued by injuries

A.Artuhyrikin (spelled wrong more than likely)

71 OVR

4 1/2 Shot and Defense

Posture is a bit lacking though.

Fabi

Jul 8, 2013
Pysyk cracked my line-up when i started the GM-Mode with Buffalo. The first two years, he stays always around 73 ovr to 75 ovr...after his first two seasons, i would use Thomas Pock instead him and decided to resign him (Pysyk) for 2 more years, send him down into the AHL and trade him after the first year because he didn't get better but Tallinder and Sulzer retired and so, i decided to give him another chance with Ristolainen.
At the start of the 3rd season, pysyk raised "over night" to 83 ovr. i thought, oh that's pretty nice...during the third season, pysyk raised to 92 ovr.:yo:
(if his contract hadn't expired after the 2nd season, i had traded him:help:)

During the first two drafts, i drafted deangelo, Clarke, Bittner and vanDerwiel in the first rounds...i hope they develope well

Another question...
Does anyone have Armia in the system? I looked at the last roster-update but since NHL14 released, it seems that Armia never was in the sabres-system...

CrazyCanuck9

Feb 20, 2014
In mine he went from 81 in the second season to 84 in the third. Then he went to 86 in year 4 but then he became a bust going down to 84, 82 and 78 in the next three following years
He didnt have any 90 attributes either by the end.

If u are looking for someone really good, go for adam erne, been a beast for me when i only traded a 2nd and third for him :)

Thanks man! Ill look into that. What team was erne on in you gm mode?

AMHC

Mar 22, 2014
Örebro, Sweden
Connor Murphy, C, TWF (Canada, 1996) is a great player to pick up I think. 4 gold star potential. I'm about to start season 2016/2017 and he is already 81 overall, with 97 in defensive awareness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad