Post-Game Talk: This is the end

Was this season a success?

• Total voters

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017
The good news is this isn’t 2006 and the team isn’t going to implode this offseason…

Right, Leon?

…RIGHT…??

leon-draisaitl-edmonton-oilers.gif
Well I think he's pretty happy with his girlfriend and isn't Chris Pronger levels of scum so we probably have a chance at least

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Does it matter. They'll find another garbage contract to hand out.

Unless you're a Bettman team you struggle for the crumbs.

And I include the draft in that sentiment.
They save 3.9 mil next season, then 2.7 and 2.4 and 3 seasons of -1.5 mil if they buy him out now..

If they wait a year then they save 2.85 and 2.55. and 2 seasons of -1.35 mil.

I think they're going to need the extra 3.9 mil for next season so I think they will buy him out now.

What a travesty of a signing that turned out to be

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
I'm not a big Skinner fan. And that second goal is just not something you can let in at that moment, you have to come up with a save by any means necessary.

But if you want to look at the last 7 games: McDavid & Draisaitl had 0 points in game 1, McDavid had 1 point in game 2 and Draisaitl had 0 points, Draisaitl had 1 point and McDavid 0 points in game 6, and both of them again had 0 points in game 7. And guess what? We lost 3 out of those 4 games. Skinner lost game 3. Ultimately, we lost the series.

I understand their both injured. I was extremely hopeful they would find a way to just gut it out to the extreme for the final game of the year. They just couldn't do it.

And now, I'll always look back and wonder...did McDavid need to come back at the end of the season to get 100 assists? Or would those few extra days rest had made a difference by the end to allow him to make that last push? Should Kane had gotten surgery in December/January? Would he had been able to recover and been a factor come the Stanley Cup Finals? Would that had allowed Draisaitl an opportunity to get more rest, either through sitting a game or by being able to end the Vancouver series earlier than 7 games? It just really sucks.
Most of those games you mention were low scoring games not counting empty net goals. hard to get much. Drai also made about 3 other significant plays on pucks where he was not getting an assist but developed the play, or caused the play. Not everything shows up on scoresheet.

Drai also most of series playing with the likes of Foegele, Holloway etc. Due to that harder for him to produce, also that his shot is f***ed because of a broken finger and whatever else we will hear about in injuries. Drai also has a full body shot one timer. Trouble with his form is if any part of the body is injured it can impact shot. Not ideal. But its how he shoots. When healthy he's a machine, when not the shot is all over the place.

In anycase one can do the converse and point out how many Key Panthers forwards didn't get a thing most of the games. Fact of the matter is McD was the leading scorer/producer in series.

Trouble was beating a good club 4X in a row is just a very very big ask.

Reactions: Kirby

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Most of those games you mention were low scoring games not counting empty net goals. hard to get much. Drai also made about 3 other significant plays on pucks where he was not getting an assist but developed the play, or caused the play. Not everything shows up on scoresheet.

Drai also most of series playing with the likes of Foegele, Holloway etc. Due to that harder for him to produce, also that his shot is f***ed because of a broken finger and whatever else we will hear about in injuries. Drai also has a full body shot one timer. Trouble with his form is if any part of the body is injured it can impact shot. Not ideal. But its how he shoots. When healthy he's a machine, when not the shot is all over the place.

In anycase one can do the converse and point out how many Key Panthers forwards didn't get a thing most of the games. Fact of the matter is McD was the leading scorer/producer in series.

Trouble was beating a good club 4X in a row is just a very very big ask.
Draisaitls injury and Ken Hollands inability to get Draisaitl any wingers is ultimately why we lost. That and Kane pretending his injury wasn’t that bad preventing us from putting him on LTIR. What a selfish player.

Reactions: McHelpus and Lannes

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Yes but in almost every Oilers loss besides game three, they managed one goal or less.

I'm not a Stuart Skinner fan at all, I just don't think he's the story this series. It's lack of top six talent imo. I'd love to see Draisaitl with an actual top six winger.
For sure there can be different reasons. Just so gutted that we lost that game 3 which really changed a lot and put us in a have to be perfect rest of series framework. Florida had a bit more gas in tank tonight which is to be expected and Connor had a little less.

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017
I don’t think I can take watching us play another Game 7 cup clinching game.
Well good thing next year they will win the cup on 5-6 games 😉

In all seriousness though. I couldn't agree more I was born in 92. Twice in my lifetime this team has made it to the finals. Twice it has gone to game 7 and twice we have just barely lost by 1 game. I cannot live through this pain a third time. I guess it could be worse and we could be leafs fans though 😅
People can say what they want about the oilers. They have been the most consistent Canadian team in the playoffs for years

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
The Oilers could easily have won games 3-6, with adequate goaltending. Ultimately Skinner being garbage cost them game 3, and the margin in the series. Thats the only reason there WAS a game 7. Oilers should've had it in 6 games.

Good enough doesn't often get it done in the most important position in hockey.

Too much to ask that Generational superstars could have a bonafide #1 stud in net ever?

Even with Roloson we probably have a cup or two by now.
Oh God we have to listen to your awful Skinner takes all offseason. Meanwhile your boyfriend didn't score a single goal in the finals.

Skinner wasn't the reason we lost. Not even close.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Oh God we have to listen to your awful Skinner takes all offseason. Meanwhile your boyfriend didn't score a single goal in the finals.

Skinner wasn't the reason we lost. Not even close.
Skinner was certainly the reason we lost game 3 and were even involved in a game 7.

Parking generational superstars to this guy is just unfortunate.

The only weakness of the Oilers, relatively, is in goal. That would seem obvious..

Trust me I won't be posting much in offseason. No real reason to.

Reactions: iCanada and TB12

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't really question the motives of a generational elite athlete who set NHL records on the way to game 7 of the SCFs. Maybe you shouldn't either.
Not questioning his motives. But with the cup on the line McDavid was pointless. That is something that’s going to haunt him.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
I couldn't watch either of the Mcdavid or Draisaitl post game interviews. I'm so sad and angry, they didn't deserve this. Florida blew a 0-3 lead and somehow deserved no calls while the Oilers got treated like dirt?

Giving Mcdavid the MVP is just a spit in the face to everyone. It was a tactical move to try and spilt up McDrai imo.

Reactions: Duke74

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017
Draisaitls injury and Ken Hollands inability to get Draisaitl any wingers is ultimately why we lost. That and Kane pretending his injury wasn’t that bad preventing us from putting him on LTIR. What a selfish player.
The anti mark stone lol one day this team will learn taking the high road gets you no where and they will just do whatever it takes to win a cup

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I’ve never seen one either, I was alive for a couple technically.

We’ll be back

Watched the game with my parents. My mom was going on about how she’ll never see the team win a Cup. I almost lost it on her

“You saw them win 5!!” Lol

I was also around for a couple but not old enough to have any memories of even the 90 win.

Anemia

aka lack of Iron Man
Apr 24, 2007
Great White North
What exactly did the refs do in the last period besides get in the way? Seriously, only the linesmen were needed. Great to see clutch and grab hockey alive and well when the US team is winning.

Reactions: TB12

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
What bugs me the most. Outside of all the obvious things. Is that Florida, as a whole, couldn't give less of a shit about this. This will get less traction than some 2nd string QB from the U entering the transfer portal. They literally do NOT care. Sure, they have some diehard fans. Congrats to the 12 of them.

f*** me, none of them could even tell you who scored in overtime against them in 1996 against the Avs (Sandis Ozilinsh).

Like, they are all bandwagon f***s that will turn to the Hurricanes and Dolphins the second the parade is over. Our whole f***ing city shut down and we care so f***ing much and we lose to a team that should barely have a f***ing team.

f*** you Bettman. f*** you Panthers, you bandwagon f***s.
As someone on the oilers bandwagon as the last Canadian team I hear you. This is why I can’t respect how Canada sold out the game of hockey to supposedly grow the game. If you looked at the florida board after game 6 almost half of them were saying they were done with the game of hockey if their team loses and some were saying they are done either way. Complete bandwagoners but that’s what we get as a nation for not having integrity.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
They got further than I thought they ever could with how wishy washy they were throughout the season. Even the win streaks I never thought they looked completely dominant in most games...I'm actually coming out of this playoffs feeling the team is way better than i thought.

The fact that I won't be able to come to terms with... The Oilers and Connor had a chance to be so legendary with the comeback...and came out looking pretty bland when it mattered most.

Idk ... Last year I didn't know how to go the summer without hockey and anticipation...this year I wish we had more time before the season.

Reactions: Oilhawks

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Not questioning his motives. But with the cup on the line McDavid was pointless. That is something that’s going to haunt him.

Both haunt and motivate. In equal proportions. We all know he’s been injured though, huge props for gutting it out and still being the best player in the playoffs.

Reactions: Burnoutboi

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
This makes no sense. Are you saying Yamo should have been on the team, cuz Drai's best wingers have been RNH and Yamo

Also, The Janmark, Henrique, Brown additions were absolutely key in getting us here

So are you saying Holland should have added those guys AND a superstar winger for Drai??

Holland did a great job in the end. Looking for excuses is just that. We were a post away from OT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad