Post-Game Talk: This is the end

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Was this season a success?

• Total voters

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
People need to chill on X player didn't show up. Saying McDavid didn't show up is wild after he won Conn Smythe

If someone didn't show up for that game they would have been -5. Even Drai, who was abysmal with the puck, played solid two way hockey. This team took a massive step forward on the showing up part

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
They have continued to improve every year. Conference finals. Stanley cups finals. And the only team to beat them in the playoffs 3 years in a row is the team that won the cup. There is literally only one more thing this team can achieve, and id say next year the pressure will be higher than it's ever been for them to succeed. Time will tell if they have what it takes to be the bride or if we are forever stuck being the bridesmaid.
True but I think the Oilers are due.

Just think how the Leafs must feel!

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017
They win if they win game 1. Got bobrovsky-ed unfortunately.
Or if they won 5/7 games they deserved to win. Game 2 was pretty much the only game the Panthers really took it to the oilers. Tonight it came down to a 1 goal game and as much progress as we have made Florida is literally built for this moment and they took advantage of it when it mattered most (oilers also missed 2 wide open nets and hit a post) this is the crazy thing about hockey. It's cliche but literally a game of inches that separates winners from losers.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
McDavid passing up that clear slot shot in the 2nd when he passed it to Draisaitl who missed the net really stands out in addition to all the missed chances in the 3rd.

Such a tough way to lose. Shut the TV off immediately when they lost. What a crushing defeat.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Oilers need to find a way to terminate that contract

invite him to a special team function and get him sauced up so he can run his mouth. It worked for Perry lol
Does it matter. They'll find another garbage contract to hand out.

Unless you're a Bettman team you struggle for the crumbs.

And I include the draft in that sentiment.

Reactions: Lannes

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
What bugs me the most. Outside of all the obvious things. Is that Florida, as a whole, couldn't give less of a shit about this. This will get less traction than some 2nd string QB from the U entering the transfer portal. They literally do NOT care. Sure, they have some diehard fans. Congrats to the 12 of them.

f*** me, none of them could even tell you who scored in overtime against them in 1996 against the Avs.

Like, they are all bandwagon f***s that will turn to the Hurricanes and Dolphins the second the parade is over. Our whole f***ing city shut down and we care so f***ing much and we lose to a team that should barely have a f***ing team.

f*** you Bettman. f*** you Panthers, you bandwagon f***s.

Last edited:

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Oilers need to find a way to terminate that contract

invite him to a special team function and get him sauced up so he can run his mouth. It worked for Perry lol
I would keep him one more season than buy him out when Drai contract kicks in because the cap hit will be less on buyout when Bouchard and McDavid are up on their new deals

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Skinner was good enough for the Oilers to win. I'd still like to see them get a true 1b goalie but I have a really hard time blaming this series loss on him.

The Oilers only scored one goal in the first two games and then managed one again tonight. That's the real story. Bobrovsky played well but the Oilers didn't finish their chances.
The Oilers could easily have won games 3-6, with adequate goaltending. Ultimately Skinner being garbage cost them game 3, and the margin in the series. Thats the only reason there WAS a game 7. Oilers should've had it in 6 games.

Good enough doesn't often get it done in the most important position in hockey.

Too much to ask that Generational superstars could have a bonafide #1 stud in net ever?

Even with Roloson we probably have a cup or two by now.

Reactions: Zguy370 and TB12

Kirby

Sponsor
Jan 31, 2009
Edmonton
But did he really? It was Stu Skinner that shit the bed in game 3 causing the Oilers to be down 3 games to none and requiring 4W's in a row.

If Skinner is even reasonable in game 3 and doesn't absolutely hand the Panthers a goal we win that game, and we possibly take series in 6 games.

In a 7 game series can't look at just what went down in game 7. There were antecedents to why we even were stretched to game 7 in a series where we were the better club the last 5 games of series.
I'm not a big Skinner fan. And that second goal is just not something you can let in at that moment, you have to come up with a save by any means necessary.

But if you want to look at the last 7 games: McDavid & Draisaitl had 0 points in game 1, McDavid had 1 point in game 2 and Draisaitl had 0 points, Draisaitl had 1 point and McDavid 0 points in game 6, and both of them again had 0 points in game 7. And guess what? We lost 3 out of those 4 games. Skinner lost game 3. Ultimately, we lost the series.

I understand their both injured. I was extremely hopeful they would find a way to just gut it out to the extreme for the final game of the year. They just couldn't do it.

And now, I'll always look back and wonder...did McDavid need to come back at the end of the season to get 100 assists? Or would those few extra days rest had made a difference by the end to allow him to make that last push? Should Kane had gotten surgery in December/January? Would he had been able to recover and been a factor come the Stanley Cup Finals? Would that had allowed Draisaitl an opportunity to get more rest, either through sitting a game or by being able to end the Vancouver series earlier than 7 games? It just really sucks.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Oilers could easily have won games 3-6, with adequate goaltending. Ultimately Skinner being garbage cost them game 3, and the margin in the series. Thats the only reason there WAS a game 7. Oilers should've had it in 6 games.

Too much to ask that Generational superstars could have a bonafide #1 stud in net ever?

They could've won games 1 or 2 if they actually, y'know, scored.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
People need to chill on X player didn't show up. Saying McDavid didn't show up is wild after he won Conn Smythe

If someone didn't show up for that game they would have been -5. Even Drai, who was abysmal with the puck, played solid two way hockey. This team took a massive step forward on the showing up part
He didn’t show up for the final 2 games. Thats the truth.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
McDavid passing up that clear slot shot in the 2nd when he passed it to Draisaitl who missed the net really stands out in addition to all the missed chances in the 3rd.

Such a tough way to lose.
They are McDrai, he is 100% going to pass that every single time.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton

Agree 100%

Reactions: Drivesaitl

dem

Mar 17, 2002
The good news is this isn’t 2006 and the team isn’t going to implode this offseason…

Right, Leon?

…RIGHT…??

leon-draisaitl-edmonton-oilers.gif

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
March of the Trolls now. And all the loser fans who don't appreciate how well we did and just like to hear themselves complain.

On a more positive note...
I'm so proud of these guys and how far they got. Disappointing at the loss but the experience they got out of this will bring them back again.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Some people do want another decade of darkness.

They've been so utterly beaten down they just want more suffering.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
What bugs me the most. Outside of all the obvious things. Is that Florida, as a whole, couldn't give less of a shit about this. This will get less traction than some 2nd string QB from the U entering the transfer portal. They literally do NOT care. Sure, they have some diehard fans. Congrats to the 12 of them.

f*** me, none of them could even tell you who scored in overtime against them in 1996 against the Avs (Sandis Ozilinsh).

Like, they are all bandwagon f***s that will turn to the Hurricanes and Dolphins the second the parade is over. Our whole f***ing city shut down and we care so f***ing much and we lose to a team that should barely have a f***ing team.

f*** you Bettman. f*** you Panthers, you bandwagon f***s.
Is that what they said or you? it was Uwe Krupp

Reactions: missionAvs

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He may have garnered a certain amount of illegal obstruction lol. Did you watch the shit he had to play through. It isn't the truth, it is just your narrative. He won the Conn Smyth trophy while being on the losing team.
Yes cause the Conn Smyth is for the entire playoffs. He don’t show up the final 2 games.

It’s the playoffs. Complaining about obstruction is ridiculous. McDavid didn’t look as good as he had. The pressure got to him. It happens.

McDavid played 2 games in the finals.

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017

Skinner is so weird. His game 1-3 stats have got to be some of the worst in NHL history. Then once he needs to play for his life he finds a way to be damn near lights out in elimination games. Tonight wasn't his fault by any means, but if he played the way he did in games 4-7 this series probably doesn't even go 7 games. Same can be said about bob I guess (although he was consistently good all post season minus 3 games against the best offensive team in the league )

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
What about moving Ceci where ever, and trading the 2025 1st and extras to Calgary for Rasmus Andersson. He could be paired with Nurse, and would likely solidify that pair, and the oil would be better next year.

Gopper

Sep 5, 2005

Yes but in almost every Oilers loss besides game three, they managed one goal or less.

I'm not a Stuart Skinner fan at all, I just don't think he's the story this series. It's lack of top six talent imo. I'd love to see Draisaitl with an actual top six winger.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Yes cause the Conn Smyth is for the entire playoffs. He don’t show up the final 2 games.

It’s the playoffs. Complaining about obstruction is ridiculous. McDavid didn’t look as good as he had. The pressure got to him. It happens.
Dumb take saying McDavid can't handle pressure, maybe the dumbest take I've ever heard on here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad