Post-Game Talk: This is the end

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Was this season a success?

• Total voters

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017
To be fair, they were probably playing hurt. Also the Coach was in a rough spot because he basically overplayed the stars just like Woody and Tippet used to, and they were too gassed in the final minutes. However, if he had benched them during the clutch moments he'd have been run out of town. In hindsight the Oilers should have taken some deliberate penalties and leaned on more Janmark/Brown shorthanded magic.

Still a good run for the boys. Just a few years ago they were missing the playoffs and now they've had back to back deep runs and won 2 post-season trophies, even though they missed out on the big one. 2nd Place still puts them like 8 rungs above the Maple Leafs and the Flames didn't even make the playoffs and had to watch their best draft pick since Brett Hull host a Cup while wearing the 'wrong' shade of red.
Or, hear me out (and not shitting on knoblauch in any way) recognized these guys were 2 of your best players in the finals and maybe elevated them in the lineup instead of relying on them to score SH goals every game while our PP continued to shit the bed

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
This over and over again. Toews Kane. Malkin Crosby... These guys were winning cups and building dynasties by this time in their career, they also had GMs surrounding them with elite goaltending, defense and depth. We have like 80% of the pieces we need but still too many passengers. We were 1 game and 2 goals away from the cup. Will go down as one of the biggest fails in sports history if we cannot build a championshop team around mcdavid and draisaitl
This is why the Oilers management need to strike now. This game 7 was not a blow out: only lost by one goal. The Canucks loss of 4-0 was way worse. The pieces are there and you have to admit the Oilers really had improved this year. Onward and upward.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
I wish I was smart like most people and just started watching during the playoffs. Then it'd hurt less.

I'll definitely care less about the regular season from now on.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
Wonder if the Oilers win that in 7 with home ice. Maybe they won’t go on their yearly mini collapse next year.
The game is mostly mental. I was shocked at how shell-shocked the Oilers looked in this game versus their confidence going in after 3 dominant wins. Like I said, only a one goal loss. Could have easily went to multiple OTs.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Or, hear me out (and not shitting on knoblauch in any way) recognized these guys were 2 of your best players in the finals and maybe elevated them in the lineup instead of relying on them to score SH goals every game while our PP continued to shit the bed
yea, thats one of those things where it'd be interesting to know the behind the scenes. Holland's Wings won ALL of their Cups due to clutch goals by the 4th line, including the Cup winner in 97, partly because they got enough ice time to keep their legs warm and the super stars legs fresh. Would be interesting to ask him/knob if he reiterated those (or really any) of his past success stories to Knob. or even shit like 'ya know, ol' scotty B used to blah blah blah before the big game', might have tipped the scales in this one.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If Holland would have put Kane on the LTIR and loaded up, then had a 100% healthy Kane back for the playoffs we might have won a Stanley Cup.

It's all retrospect now. Just another lame ass excuse for not winning along with the other 10 thousand excuses heard from every Canadian team.

All those fans of other Canadian teams rubbing it in... guess what assholes.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Florida won presidents trophy eliminated first round, then 2 cup finals. This is not pronger leaving bad, we will be back next year and wont see any elimination games, 4-5 and 6 game series wins through 4 rounds, watch and see.
at the same time, outside of the LA series we had some incredible luck to get here. Vancouver missing their Vezina goalie, Dallas was absolutely beat and worn down from 2 really tough series as well. Not saying we didn’t deserve to be here, we did, but we also had a lot of fortunate things help us out.

Reactions: Wish You Were Here

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
The game is mostly mental. I was shocked at how shell-shocked the Oilers looked in this game versus their confidence going in after 3 dominant wins. Like I said, only a one goal loss. Could have easily went to multiple OTs.
I kind of expected it, they went through the exact same thing the Panthers went through. You play three dominant games and you think you have it in the bag, then the other team comes out and clobbers you and it shatters your worldview and breaks your confidence. if the series was a best of 13 or something stupid, we would have seen the Oilers rebound and the pendulum swing back in forth. in the end it was a pretty evenly matched series and a one goal game 7 reflects that.

Gopper

Sep 5, 2005
But did he really? It was Stu Skinner that shit the bed in game 3 causing the Oilers to be down 3 games to none and requiring 4W's in a row.

If Skinner is even reasonable in game 3 and doesn't absolutely hand the Panthers a goal we win that game, and we possibly take series in 6 games.

In a 7 game series can't look at just what went down in game 7. There were antecedents to why we even were stretched to game 7 in a series where we were the better club the last 5 games of series.
Skinner was good enough for the Oilers to win. I'd still like to see them get a true 1b goalie but I have a really hard time blaming this series loss on him.

The Oilers only scored one goal in the first two games and then managed one again tonight. That's the real story. Bobrovsky played well but the Oilers didn't finish their chances.

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017
This is why the Oilers management need to strike now. This game 7 was not a blow out: only lost by one goal. The Canucks loss of 4-0 was way worse. The pieces are there and you have to admit the Oilers really had improved this year. Onward and upward.
They have continued to improve every year. Conference finals. Stanley cups finals. And the only team to beat them in the playoffs 3 years in a row is the team that won the cup. There is literally only one more thing this team can achieve, and id say next year the pressure will be higher than it's ever been for them to succeed. Time will tell if they have what it takes to be the bride or if we are forever stuck being the bridesmaid.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Skinner was good enough for the Oilers to win. I'd still like to see them get a true 1b goalie but I have a really hard time blaming this series loss on him.

The Oilers only scored one goal in the first two games and then managed one again tonight. That's the real story. Bobrovsky played well but the Oilers didn't finish their chances.
He's average. If there are 32 starters he's in the middle of that pack. The Oilers started playing sound defense but it wasn't enough.

32 starters and 32 years without a Canadian cup.

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012

Yeah lots of tweaks before the season starts. Skinner at times was the best player and made some key saves like in game 4 which changed the momentum. Again this series was very close, albeit very weird!

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Just came home from the Rogers Place watch party. Seeing a lot of Oiler fans sitting down on grass or the sidewalk either crying or just in pain was heartbreaking. Was bawling on the way home as well. Absolutely gutted right now. This loss will hurt for awhile more so than the 05/06 run.

Still very proud of what our team accomplished this season. Not gonna be the type of fan to trash or crap on a player tonight as well. Gonna take a few days off HF for my mental health. It's been an absolute pleasure talking with all of you guys. Even if there's bickering here and there, you guys make my life a little less harder. Cheers to each and every one of you. Good night, my friends. Here's to us winning the cup next season.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
WHy does every coach make the same mistake, we were most successful when we roll lines.
Then leave some gas in the tank for a 2.30 min Mcdavid shift at the end in desperation mode.
This is the stuff I don’t get. Florida had two or three guys in tight on him all game. He had no room to move and it just goes to show one mega-star does not guarantee a cup win or a goal in desperation. In junior, sure or some other 3rd rate pro league but not this league. Florida proved it again tonight, team defense wins championship games, not offense.

Bobrovsky had no stick in the 3rd and the Oilers were buzzing. For some reason McDavid wanted the puck from Bouchard when Bouchard was in perfect line to zip one on net. Three panthers converged before he could even make a move, then a turnover and iced. Killed the momentum. He’s an amazing talent but he’s a piece of the puzzle, not THE puzzle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad