The GM Mode Prospect Thread

Hokie200proof

Jan 5, 2014
PS3
I was the one that said it - it really does seem to work well with the very high potential prospects, even if they are only playing 4th line time, etc.

For D-men that have very low overall, I often play them as forward on the 4th line under 10 minutes a game for a few games before sending them back down.

It seems to add a lot more... certainty.. into player development in NHL 14 by doing it this way. My old method, of quite literally not bringing anyone up until they were 80 or above, worked nicely, but I also noticed that I would end up with a lot of very low overall prospects that wouldn't break through until they were 25 or 26 years old

I've had to turn to my very young prospects again (now in the 16/17) season. Brought up a couple of different 60's ovr Dmen, this time because all of my borderline NHLers were 2-way contracts but we're waiver eligible. For injuries I was absorbing (7-14 days) I didn't want to bring someone up and risk putting them through waivers, so I turned to the super youngins again. Of the three guys who have cycled through the NHL lineup, all of them have a 1-2 attribute boost. I'm still before the all-star break, but I'll be monitoring how they fare the rest of the way and report.

I had a question regarding vets - dudes who have their potential solidified to white or grey or whatever, do they continue to gain in overall ratings or is that that for them? I have two or three guys who went from yellow or red to white, some of them well below their potential. Mason Raymond for example is still an 81, where he started three seasons ago when I signed him, and has had a pot of 3.5 or 4 grey stars the whole time, which I'd expect would get him in the mid 80's range, or to 82-84. He's 30 now, so I expect he won't get any better. He's also been on my 2nd line with much better players and his stats are good (20-30 goals, 60-70 pts), but he hasn't changed at all.

In some ways I'm a bit relieved, as I could sign him on the cheap. His 92 acc is hard to replace, and I will always keep him in my top-6, even if his other stats are cemented in place.

I'm finding the log-jam of 80-84 rated players in my bottom-6 (and into my system) is working to stunt their growth. A lot of them progress between seasons (under the "natural" category in the "progress report" screen, but lose most of it, or all or more, as the season progresses and they are forced to play below their "role" on my 3rd and 4th lines (coming up with all negatives under the "statistical growth" category).

Anyone else seeing that?

Last bit...

Boom - LW G. Gauither (sp?, see the post-draft scouting thread to be sure) is in his second season and leading the charge for the Calder trophy in his rookie season with the big club. He was a 70-something ovr rated draftee (can get him around the 25-30 pick in the 1st round of the 2015 draft) and came out of the CHL rated 79. Midway through the 16/17 season he's rated 81 ovr, 90's in all shooting categories and has some quicks. He's in the small side but can still knock over guys if he gets enough mo before contact.

Fabi

Jul 8, 2013
I had a question regarding vets - dudes who have their potential solidified to white or grey or whatever, do they continue to gain in overall ratings or is that that for them? I have two or three guys who went from yellow or red to white, some of them well below their potential. Mason Raymond for example is still an 81, where he started three seasons ago when I signed him, and has had a pot of 3.5 or 4 grey stars the whole time, which I'd expect would get him in the mid 80's range, or to 82-84. He's 30 now, so I expect he won't get any better. He's also been on my 2nd line with much better players and his stats are good (20-30 goals, 60-70 pts), but he hasn't changed at all.

There is the possibility that they will raise.
Ehrhoff e.g (4 stars - grey) raised in my BAGM from 83ovr to 86 ovr
Mike Richards 88ovr to 89 ovr
Mike Weber fom 84 ovr (after this raise he turn into grey potential) to 85 ovr

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Hi, just coming in here again to see whether or not I made a good trade; I traded a lower prospect, a 2nd, and a 3rd to dallas for this Zhadorov guy. Im not so sure if he's computer generated, however his trade value was high for a 66 overall and being 24.

On another note, im starting a write up of my Calgary BAGM after I got fired from Florida
(because i did'nt make the semi's and my 4.5 yellow star goalie who was set to become elite got a hole in him), so expect that soon.

plaaplaa72

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
Anyone else have that problem where the speed stat doesn't go up?
Yeah, it's been a problem since NHL 13. Certain stats just don't grow, or they grow only 1-2 points. The stats that don't grow/barely grow if i remember correctly are: Speed, Agility, Acceleration, Endurance, Balance, Durability, Faceoffs, Aggresiveness, Fighting Skill and Strenght.

Although, i've noticed that with Enforcers some of the stats do grow, (Mainly Aggresiveness, Strenght and Fighting Skill) and for some reasons, most Offensive D-Man prospects actually develops their skating, atleast for me.

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
Hi, just coming in here again to see whether or not I made a good trade; I traded a lower prospect, a 2nd, and a 3rd to dallas for this Zhadorov guy. Im not so sure if he's computer generated, however his trade value was high for a 66 overall and being 24.

On another note, im starting a write up of my Calgary BAGM after I got fired from Florida
(because i did'nt make the semi's and my 4.5 yellow star goalie who was set to become elite got a hole in him), so expect that soon.

What year are you in?

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
Play your players with green star potential on the 4th line/bottom pairing, they develop insanely fast. I had Frederik Gauthier on my 4th line and in two years he was 78 overall, I had a 5'8 German PWF on my 4th line and he went from 52 to 81 overall in 2-3 years and in my Buffalo GM challenge, Josh Wesley went from 71 to 76 in one season. It seems to only work with green potential though :handclap:

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Play your players with green star potential on the 4th line/bottom pairing, they develop insanely fast. I had Frederik Gauthier on my 4th line and in two years he was 78 overall, I had a 5'8 German PWF on my 4th line and he went from 52 to 81 overall in 2-3 years and in my Buffalo GM challenge, Josh Wesley went from 71 to 76 in one season. It seems to only work with green potential though :handclap:

I've played both Drouin and Mackinnon on my top offense and Aaron Ekblad on my top defense (over 2 gm modes) and they made a 20-30 jump into the 80's. Im serious.

and since florida decided to fire me, seeing as making the team one of the most deadly and turning a nobody into an elite goalie, im in calgary

we have sven baertschi, sam reinhart, and i got both huberdeau and ekblad back from florida

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
How does Derrick Pouliot, the Pens 4.5* LD prospect, turn out? Am I better of trading him for someone like Fowler?

Well Cam Fowler is already playing in the NHL and has the potential to get much better, so if you are looking for immediate help definitely get Fowler.

However, they both turn into very similar players - 87-89 overall players, who put up points.

The thing with Pouliot is that in almost all of my GMs, he takes forever to develop - he normally isn't even NHL ready until that very last bump prospects get around age 25-26 which is a very long time to wait for a prospect.

He always stays in Pittsburgh though and this is what happens every time he's there - I've not tried to acquire him on my own, put him through my own developmental processes, and see how he develops. My guesss is that it's not all that different.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

In some ways I'm a bit relieved, as I could sign him on the cheap. His 92 acc is hard to replace, and I will always keep him in my top-6, even if his other stats are cemented in place.

I'm finding the log-jam of 80-84 rated players in my bottom-6 (and into my system) is working to stunt their growth. A lot of them progress between seasons (under the "natural" category in the "progress report" screen, but lose most of it, or all or more, as the season progresses and they are forced to play below their "role" on my 3rd and 4th lines (coming up with all negatives under the "statistical growth" category).

Anyone else seeing that?

Regarding white star potential;

Players "potential" stars go from colored to white after they turn 27 years old. Occasionally players will hit white stars at 26 years old, but always by 27 they are white. This essentially means that they've reached their peak and won't get significantly better moving forward.

However, as you've already seen, some players can see jumps in their overall. There are a few factors behind this - the two main ones I've noticed are: a) position and b) success of the team. It's important to play players in their respective roles, or higher, if possible (especially forwards). That means that if you have an 83 overall Two-Way Forward that is listed as "2nd line scoring forward" (can see this listing in the roster moves section, where it says role), then you should be playing him in that position or higher. If you play him in a lower role, then he will begin to regress. If you combine playing a player in a good role, and good overall team success, there's a small chance that a player will improve by minor increments. It's very rare that this occurs, so I wouldn't bank on trying to improve a white-star player's overall at all. If it happens, great, but chances are it won't. Very random.

Secondly on vets and regression

Players have their potentials locked in, and generally won't start to regress in ability until they hit 32 onwards. A good way to keep an eye on players getting worse (other than the obvious drop in key categories / overall), is to keep an eye on the white star potential. As players begin to age and reach their twilight, their white potential will begin to drop (The Sedins go from 4.5-star white, to 4-star white in about 2 years. By the 3rd year they hit 3.5-star white, etc etc).

By keeping an eye on potential of your veteran players, you can get a really good sense of how close they are to regressing; Once a player gets to about 3-star white potential, it's a good idea to move him immediately - 3-star white potential players will not only decline in ability from season to season, but during the season as well (3-star white Rich Peverley at 33 was my 4th line center at 80 overall. Three months into the season, he had dropped to the 75-76 overall range).

Some players though, like Joe Thornton and Ryan Kesler, you can hold onto even as they begin to regress and get worse - that's because both their overalls, ability, and trade value is still pretty high even when they get worse.

Joe Thornton for example, might drop down to a 90 overall, and then 88 overall center once he starts to decline. However, a Joe Thornton at 88 overall is still a tremendous trading asset and STILL is one of the best centers in the game.

Final note - once you get to around 32 or 33, expect a player to retire. Some go on for much longer, while others retire a little earlier, but as a rule of thumb at 32 expect him to retire and factor that into what you want to do regarding trading him away or keeping him and letting him retire.

I know that was long-winded, but I hope it helps.

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota
Regarding white star potential;

Final note - once you get to around 32 or 33, expect a player to retire. Some go on for much longer, while others retire a little earlier, but as a rule of thumb at 32 expect him to retire and factor that into what you want to do regarding trading him away or keeping him and letting him retire.

I know that was long-winded, but I hope it helps.

This is what I usually do. Once a player hits that 32-33 age, their trade value will drop significantly. Unless I really like the player, I will look to trade him

ToppsSmith

Oct 6, 2013
Prospect of the Vancouver Canucks Jordan Subban BOOM

I'm in the year 2018/19 of my GM with them, and he went from 3.5Red Stars to yellow, Was the AHL player of the year 2 times, and is at the moment a 81ovr at the age of 24. He also had a 90pt season in the AHL, which included a 33G season. His trade Value is nil as well, probably get him for a 2nd round pick

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
Prospect of the Vancouver Canucks Jordan Subban BOOM

I'm in the year 2018/19 of my GM with them, and he went from 3.5Red Stars to yellow, Was the AHL player of the year 2 times, and is at the moment a 81ovr at the age of 24. He also had a 90pt season in the AHL, which included a 33G season. His trade Value is nil as well, probably get him for a 2nd round pick

In one of my Montreal GM's I saw Subban at 80 overall and he was only 21 so I picked him up for cheap. He won the Norris and bwith something like 65+ points and he stayed at 80 overall :laugh:

ToppsSmith

Oct 6, 2013
In one of my Montreal GM's I saw Subban at 80 overall and he was only 21 so I picked him up for cheap. He won the Norris and bwith something like 65+ points and he stayed at 80 overall :laugh:

Ya I don't know if he'll get higher, but if he adds 65pts each season in the NHL he can stay a 81. I'll keep playing him. His first season in the NHL for me picked up 37pts. which included 12G, EA overall's have always been funny. I'm just letting people know that he is worth playing, and is cheap.

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
Ya I don't know if he'll get higher, but if he adds 65pts each season in the NHL he can stay a 81. I'll keep playing him. His first season in the NHL for me picked up 37pts. which included 12G, EA overall's have always been funny. I'm just letting people know that he is worth playing, and is cheap.

Yeah maybe the 65+ points was because he was playing with his brother PK :laugh:

He's on my bottom pairing now, usually hits around 40 points each year, great player to have

ToppsSmith

Oct 6, 2013
Yeah maybe the 65+ points was because he was playing with his brother PK :laugh:

He's on my bottom pairing now, usually hits around 40 points each year, great player to have

I agree, he is a stone in the back end for us. Imagine picking up all 4 of the Subban's, I think of the domination.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Jordan Subban is more like an 86-87 overall Dman.

What brings his overall down significantly is his physical category, which if I recall correctly, was even 3-stars?

That's why his overall is so low - as a fully rounded Dman, he actually is solid everywhere else.

That's why no to players with the same overall are the same. Have to look deeper into the skills and attributes to see where certain players excel compared to their struggles

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Completely unrelated to the thread but in response to iFishy^, I rarely ever use my favorite team (The Leafs) because I find that I'm too emotionally connected to the players to make smart moves lol!

I rarely ever trade Kulemin or Lupul <3

ToppsSmith

Oct 6, 2013
Completely unrelated to the thread but in response to iFishy^, I rarely ever use my favorite team (The Leafs) because I find that I'm too emotionally connected to the players to make smart moves lol!

I rarely ever trade Kulemin or Lupul <3

Lol that's the reason I still have 34yr old Hansen Playing in my Canucks GM. My Fav team is the Canucks so...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad