The GM Mode Prospect Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
I have a cool story about Anders Nilsson :laugh:

In my Colorado GM, I had Anders Nilsson as my back up. I never had rotate goalies on so he never played a full game by himself all season as a 79 overall backup with 3.5 potential. Next thing you know, i'm at the draft, and when I looked at my goalies, Nilsson was 87 OVERALL! Now, when the regular season started he was back down to 79 overall but he kept the same trade value and "elite goalie" status even though he was 27 and his stats were all 80-83. Needless to say, I traded him for the player that went 1st overall in the previous draft :laugh:

thesaadfather

Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Has anybody gotten Brandon Saad to develop at all? I'm in year 4 and he is still 81 overall. He currently plays on my second line with Ryan Kesler and Patrick Kane.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Completely unrelated to the thread but in response to iFishy^, I rarely ever use my favorite team (The Leafs) because I find that I'm too emotionally connected to the players to make smart moves lol!

I rarely ever trade Kulemin or Lupul <3

Same here. I never trade, Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Fluery, Letang, Martin, and about the whole roster other than Orpik, Scuderi, Adams, Glass, Kobasew, they all need to F off.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Has anybody gotten Brandon Saad to develop at all? I'm in year 4 and he is still 81 overall. He currently plays on my second line with Ryan Kesler and Patrick Kane.

I traded for him and Silvferberg. Neither has gone above 80-81 so far. I'm waiting to see if age 25 gives them the appropriate boost.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
What impact does poise have and does it grow?

For goaltenders, in game, poise basically dictates things like how early a goaltender goes down into the butterfly, or when he switches into desperation save mode as opposed to just simple lateral movement, and that sort of thing.

For players, I'm not really sure what it does in game.

If you are simulating, then poise seems to have very little influence.

I've used goaltenders who have very low poise (50s) and as a result, have pretty low overalls (81-83 overall - poise HUGELY influences goaltender's overall), and have won cups and Conn Smythe's and Vezinas with them in GM mode simulation purely because their reflex categories are like all 90s.

Unless you are actually playing games, I wouldn't worry much about poise.

I think Reimer may be a good example of a decent overall goalie, whose OA is weighted down because of poise.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
how do Nikita Zadorov, Jacob Trouba, and Aleksander Barkov progress?

Zadorov gets to around 83-85 overall; solid defensive Dman.

Barkov gets really good.

Trouba I'm not too sure - I can't recall ever really seeing him stand out and I've done a few GM modes that have gone 15+ years.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Kuznetsov is in the game. He is an 80 overall and his trade value is so low. Yet, Washington won't trade him to me.

He jumps to about 88 pretty quick, there might be a value glitch going on there.

Saad is a really frustrating player in this game. Ive tried a lot of things to get him to develop fairly considering how good he is now. If I were you I'd try switching him from TWF to PWF or SNP and bump his stats and potential.

Two way forwards have a weird limit set on their points outside of a few rare instances. Tends to be 20-30g 25-40 assists and they absolutely cannot score more. You must notice this with Kesler who tends to be a perennial 25-25 player in this game.

ParkerMcLovin

Oct 15, 2013
how long do Datsyuk and Zetterberg usually stay until regressing significantly or retiring?

I still have Zetterberg, he was 88/89 until season 17/18 where he went down to 86, but I won the Cup that season and he is still a super beast. You can't knock the guy off the puck. Throughout the 5 or 6 seasons I've played him at LW and C (he had 80 faceoffs) and it doesn't matter, he still plays awesome.
We're starting season 18/19 right now and he is still 86 overall at 37 years old. This will vary depending on his success but as a PLY he should stay up there for a while and not retire too early.
I took him in the 4th round of our fantasy draft and haven't regretted it one bit.

ParkerMcLovin

Oct 15, 2013
how do Nikita Zadorov, Jacob Trouba, and Aleksander Barkov progress?

Trouba is pretty good in most leagues I've seen.
Here are two examples:

9bteuyerx

9dtg7irtn

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Is it weird that as much Be A GM as I play, I've never once seen a franchise player in the scouting screen? I know there have been some, but it's never said "Franchise" for me.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I haven't seen one in any NHL iteration, including 13, 12, and 11.

I think 12 may have been the last one I saw one in.

Should have clarified - the tag was removed and no longer in the game, not that it was specifically removed in NHL 14.

There are definitely franchise players in the draft. I've come across more than enough of them to know that the tag just isn't there anymore.

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
I think 12 may have been the last one I saw one in.

Should have clarified - the tag was removed and no longer in the game, not that it was specifically removed in NHL 14.

There are definitely franchise players in the draft. I've come across more than enough of them to know that the tag just isn't there anymore.

I came across one in 13, but thats it

you Giroux it for me

Feb 7, 2012
Philadelphia
The franchise tag was removed in NHL 14.

absolutely not true. Make a 99 in all stats skater, make him draft age, and sim all the way to right before the draft. you will see the "franchise" pop up. I did this the other day and Awesome Awesome ,the 6'9, 17 year old center, was labeled as "franchise"

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
absolutely not true. Make a 99 in all stats skater, make him draft age, and sim all the way to right before the draft. you will see the "franchise" pop up. I did this the other day and Awesome Awesome ,the 6'9, 17 year old center, was labeled as "franchise"

Really?

I've seen 82-84 overall players with 5-star green potential come out of the draft as first overall, but not with franchise tags on them. Especially goaltenders

Maybe it's reserved for created monstrosities like you made yourself then, because I've played the mode long enough and over a number of different teams over a number of different in-game years and seen many franchise prospects come out and never seen a single "Franchise" tag come out of the draft.

you Giroux it for me

Feb 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Really?

I've seen 82-84 overall players with 5-star green potential come out of the draft as first overall, but not with franchise tags on them. Especially goaltenders

Maybe it's reserved for created monstrosities like you made yourself then, because I've played the mode long enough and over a number of different teams over a number of different in-game years and seen many franchise prospects come out and never seen a single "Franchise" tag come out of the draft.

I mean, I never saw "franchise" come naturally, didn't even know it existed until last week. I put a whole bunch of created players in with different high overalls and Awesome Awesome was the only franchise. He was 93 ovr, even though all his stats were 99. The 87-89 people were all "top 5."

This, of course, was just an experiment

20140402_013816.jpg

20140402_013941.jpg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad