The GM Mode Prospect Thread

Patchey*

In the first year trade whatever you can for 2014 first rounders. It is easily the best draft in the game. Also trade for early second rounders. In other draft years the only good prospects are top 5-10 players

Dobbie71064

Go Thrashers!
Dec 29, 2010
A cold place
I came across a decent 4.5 red star defensemen in the 2014 draft. His name is Julius Honka. He normally goes in the 3rd round and comes out mid 50s with 4.5 red stars out of the draft (hes a OFD). He does take a while to develop. In my last be a GM mode i only got to 2018 but at this point he had developed to 75 ovr with great passing (high 80s), good speed (Mid 80s) and oddly good hitting (86) but horrible aggressiveness (mid 60s). I just started a be a GM with the Panthers and i managed to draft him again so ill see how he develops.

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
We know prospects can change the colour of their potential, but can they change their player type? I have an interesting case with Nick Roy. I was looking for a SNP in the 2015 draft and thought Nick Roy was a great fit considering his 6'5 frame and being a SNP from Quebec and all so I decided to pick him up with the 16th overall pick. Speed ahead 2 years later, I noticed his trade value increased dramatically. So I checked him out and realized his potential has went from 3.5 to 3.5, but he was now considered a PLY. Maybe i'm going crazy, but I could've swore he was a SNP, thats the main reason why I drafted him. Did this happen to anyone else? I find it kind of cool myself :laugh:

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
We know prospects can change the colour of their potential, but can they change their player type? I have an interesting case with Nick Roy. I was looking for a SNP in the 2015 draft and thought Nick Roy was a great fit considering his 6'5 frame and being a SNP from Quebec and all so I decided to pick him up with the 16th overall pick. Speed ahead 2 years later, I noticed his trade value increased dramatically. So I checked him out and realized his potential has went from 3.5 to 3.5, but he was now considered a PLY. Maybe i'm going crazy, but I could've swore he was a SNP, thats the main reason why I drafted him. Did this happen to anyone else? I find it kind of cool myself :laugh:

I once saved before my team started the playoffs (we were playing the Bruins in the first round) and turned off my system, then I turned it back on and we were playing the Penguins instead. So I guess anything's possible :dunno:

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
I came across a decent 4.5 red star defensemen in the 2014 draft. His name is Julius Honka. He normally goes in the 3rd round and comes out mid 50s with 4.5 red stars out of the draft (hes a OFD). He does take a while to develop. In my last be a GM mode i only got to 2018 but at this point he had developed to 75 ovr with great passing (high 80s), good speed (Mid 80s) and oddly good hitting (86) but horrible aggressiveness (mid 60s). I just started a be a GM with the Panthers and i managed to draft him again so ill see how he develops.
Took him in second round. 2 years latee he jumped to an 84 now is an 87.

Jafari

Mar 11, 2014
Anybody have some general tips for developing prospects in offline GM mode? I'm able to do pretty well with Ristolainen and Ruhwedel in the first year of the GM mode but guys like Girgensons/Foligno/Deslauriers go up one point only with no development during the season. I've tried putting Girgs in the AHL top-line, NHL top-line (balancing it out so the line gets top minutes still) and the third line and still nothing. Do you just need to wait a bunch of years to get some people to progress?

shenke31

Mar 12, 2014
Carstairs
Hey dont know if this has been asked or answered yet, but does anyone have any sort of info on Defensman Mirco Mueller. Only on year two but im not to sure if i should keep him in the fold and wait for him to develop or not. Just want to know if he`s worth the wait

shenke31

Mar 12, 2014
Carstairs
Anybody have some general tips for developing prospects in offline GM mode? I'm able to do pretty well with Ristolainen and Ruhwedel in the first year of the GM mode but guys like Girgensons/Foligno/Deslauriers go up one point only with no development during the season. I've tried putting Girgs in the AHL top-line, NHL top-line (balancing it out so the line gets top minutes still) and the third line and still nothing. Do you just need to wait a bunch of years to get some people to progress?

Man i dont know if this will help at all but im also buffalo and Girgs has been outstanding for me, started at an 80 and is up to 85 after two seasons both in the NHL, playing third line center and second line winger. Foligno is a complete bust i think, i paid him decent after year one but he actually ended up dropping 3 overall by the time pre season started. I wouldnt waste time on him

Doors

Jan 13, 2014
Sweden
I drafted Nikolaj Ehlers in the first round number 28 overall in the 2014 draft, someone who knows how good he turns out to be?
Also got some Latvian goalie in fourth round who seemed promising.

Solus

Nov 9, 2011
Over the Hills
Were prospects boosted in the latest update or something? I started a new GM and put the season to start at the draft with current rosters. For the first time in my experience playing this game the first overall pick was 5 green stars, a goalie named Dekort. He was around 50 overall when drafted and now at the start of my 3rd season he is 87 overall with 5 green star potential still. I've never seen a player like this before. The second pick from that first draft was also a goalie, 5 yellow stars but his name escapes me right now.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Were prospects boosted in the latest update or something? I started a new GM and put the season to start at the draft with current rosters. For the first time in my experience playing this game the first overall pick was 5 green stars, a goalie named Dekort. He was around 50 overall when drafted and now at the start of my 3rd season he is 87 overall with 5 green star potential still. I've never seen a player like this before. The second pick from that first draft was also a goalie, 5 yellow stars but his name escapes me right now.

EA Sports does update their prospects, especially in this final post-trade-deadline roster update.

So yeah, some prospects might have changed. But that sounds like a gold-mine draft though.

I've seen a 5-star goalie in NHL 14 as well, but I think it was in the second year.

Overall I think that with the more difficult trade system, EA is trying to make sure that decent goalies are at least available early on in the draft maybe.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Bust - Ryan Strome; 4-star, but struggles to develop and capped out at 83 overall.

Boom - Ryan Ellis; 4-star, NASHVILLE, became an 88 overall OFD with 90+ stats in all offensive categories; finished three straight seasons with 50 points and won three back to back Norris trophies

Boom - bit obvious, but Nikita Kucherov; 90 overall sniper, playing him with Tavares and they become a deadly pair.

Have any of you guys figured out what factors into getting a player to change his potential? Or is it just random? For example: If i draft a 3.5 guy in the 2nd round and a few years later and somehow he turns into a 3.5 player instead. Its a Icool new feature but i'd like to know if its random or not.

I've wondered this myself. I feel like it's totally random, but seems to happen at that sweet spot age when prospects should be knocking on the door of the NHL; like 22-24 years old.

I just recently had Willie Nylander, who is a 4.5-star potential gold star, drop to 4.5-red. Played him in top minutes on my AHL team in all situations - PP, PK, 1st line, etc., and he still dropped.

I like the randomness of prospect development in this game; just wish it was a little easier to understand.

I also have a hard time developing almost all red-star prospects; almost always trade them because I can't get them to develop

Last edited:

Captain Nutjob

Nothing to see here
Mar 13, 2014
Boom: Sven Baertschi (LW, SNP, 4.5): Traded for him in year one. After scoring 43 points, he jumped up to an 84 OVR. He is now an 87 OVR playing on my second line.

Boom: Jake Gardiner (D, TWD, 4.5): He is currently 87 OVR playing on my second defensive pair.

Nhlguru

Mar 16, 2014
In my experience

I always send the players down to juniors for as long as they are eligible and then i keep them on my first forward line in the ahl and depending on the type of the player i fill the line with playmakers, snipers, etc to help them score as many points as possible and i leave them down in the ahl until they are 23-24 it may sound like to long but it does develop them into better players if you really need to have them sooner let them play in the ahl for a season then bring them up but its better to leave them down until they are 23-24. Doing this most of my top prospects that lived up to their potential made it to early 90's example Johnathan Drouin, Nathan mackinnon, And a player with the last name "Rome" (PWF) made it to 87 at just 21 and to 90 at 22 and 91 at 23. Hope this post helped

Nhlguru

Mar 16, 2014
Yeah he has to be 20 years old before they can be brought up unless they are already 20 when you draft them

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I tried going with the high shot theory, and had Spencer Watson come out of nowhere and score 70 goals (yes, 70) in the AHL, followed by a 35 goal season in the NHL. The kicker, he's a 74 overall at 27, and resigned for under a million per. Even if your player isn't that good, keep guys with good shots, because they can turn into good players if you leave em in the minors long enough

KiwiFlamesFan

Aug 11, 2006
New Zealand
Boom: Sven Baertschi (LW, SNP, 4.5): Traded for him in year one. After scoring 43 points, he jumped up to an 84 OVR. He is now an 87 OVR playing on my second line.

Thanks for the info on Baertschi man. I've just started my second season of my Flames BAGM and he's 84 OVR but 4.5 potential. I wanted to keep him in the AHL all last season but he played 43 NHL games because of injuries to others and this season he's 1st line LW with Monahan so hoping he gets to at least 87 OVR or maybe more!

Last edited:

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Bart up to 89 overall
klimchuk an 88 overall
d poulliot an 89 overall
monahan an 85 overall
this is in the year 2020

Ad

Upcoming events