The Fall of Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
So we've been tanking/rebuilding for 6 years which is a long time, but we also started off the rebuild with an almost unprecedented firesale of in prime talent. Which is is probably good for 2-3 years if not more of tanking.

So that's 8-9 years of assets we should be hoarding.

So where the f*** are the prospects? Where the f*** is the depth? And not only that but this rebuild was basically saved by the luck of the draw in the 2020 draft.

What in the f*** Pierre? And people still want to keep him lol.
The “prospects” are the ones running the team right now. We have no room for defensemen anymore, our top 6 is filled and we have a goalie prospect that will probably be our back-up next year.

I will say that it would be nice to have a couple bottom six forwards ready for spots but we’ll have to see if anyone impresses next year. That’s one area we haven’t been too good at filling but then again when the team drafts a “3rd liner” everyone gets mad.

Even if we had all these prospects there is very little room for them. I think we need to start holding onto some picks bc we will need to replace people down the road but for now this roster is young, mostly locked up and probably won’t be changing a ton for awhile. We don’t need prospects. We are two bottom six forwards away from being set and we do have guys like Greig, Ostapchuk or anyone else that surprises that can take those spots in the next couple of years.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Imagine Ryan Reynolds with the Disney+ cameras for the inevitable documentary in the bowels of CTC with Pierre as he barely articulates his goals for the upcoming season

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We'll get more at some point. We just don't need a huge amount in the near future. We're basically a cap team, and we're locked in on alot of long term contracts, and we have the cap space to keep them all.

Besides, we have Kleven, we have Greig, we have Boucher.

You also have to remember, when the team does improve, we will be picking lower in the draft. Those kids picked 15-20th overall and lower usually need a good 4+ years before cracking the NHL full time. Not to mention half of them simply never make it. So you need to replenish constantly.

Kleven looks like a good bet in 2 years to be a full timer. Greig really needs to put on some protective muscle. Boucher...I'm not holding out hope for him to be anything more than a replaceable cog on the 4th line.

We really need to make an astute selection in the 2nd round this year (do we even have any 2nd rounders left?) and keep the first next year to keep the pipeline open.

And time is running out for JBD and Thomson. One of them does need to take a significant jump forward this summer to have a chance at a permanent spot int he lineup.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Imagine Ryan Reynolds with the Disney+ cameras for the inevitable documentary in the bowels of CTC with Pierre as he barely articulates his goals for the upcoming season
This is a very good point. The new owners will want not only a competent front office, but also one that suits TV. Brian Burke would be a good fit in that respect at least. Maybe Dorion will be the Guenter Steiner of this show, for those who watch Netflix's Drive to Survive; although Steiner seems competent despite his goofiness.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I know a lot of folks don't care for his work, but I wouldn't mind Ron Hextall as GM. Dude was on the right track taking it slow and steady in Philly with the prospects. And he probably has a better insight on goalies that Pierre.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Have y’all seen this from Seravelli? First time hearing about these behind-the-scene developments

Is this when people start to change thier tune? "Ya. I always knew that Dorion was only going to be here for so long. 7 years is a long time. The team needs a new outlook."

2 days earlier "Dorion is the best GM in history and you guys are all wrong. He will have the job until he retires because he is the bestest."

The “prospects” are the ones running the team right now. We have no room for defensemen anymore, our top 6 is filled and we have a goalie prospect that will probably be our back-up next year.

I will say that it would be nice to have a couple bottom six forwards ready for spots but we’ll have to see if anyone impresses next year. That’s one area we haven’t been too good at filling but then again when the team drafts a “3rd liner” everyone gets mad.

Even if we had all these prospects there is very little room for them. I think we need to start holding onto some picks bc we will need to replace people down the road but for now this roster is young, mostly locked up and probably won’t be changing a ton for awhile. We don’t need prospects. We are two bottom six forwards away from being set and we do have guys like Greig, Ostapchuk or anyone else that surprises that can take those spots in the next couple of years.
...only get mad when they use the 10th overall pick to draft a 3rd liner.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Players have really gone to bat for DJ Smith, didn’t hear much support for Dorion.

It’s a weird time because many fans feel new ownership will be a time for renewal and a fresh start - Pierre Dorion is the opposite of a fresh start. I just can’t see how he sells this program - the stars of this are Brady and Stutzle, everyone else is window dressing
I agree Dorion must go; however, you must add a few other players to the list of main players in the near future.

So we've been tanking/rebuilding for 6 years which is a long time, but we also started off the rebuild with an almost unprecedented firesale of in prime talent. Which is is probably good for 2-3 years if not more of tanking.

So that's 8-9 years of assets we should be hoarding.

So where the f*** are the prospects? Where the f*** is the depth? And not only that but this rebuild was basically saved by the luck of the draw in the 2020 draft.

What in the f*** Pierre? And people still want to keep him lol.
Dorion must go asap. Dorion was wise to obtain a first round draft pick for Karlsson; however, he we extremely fortunate that the pick rose to number 3 overall.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This is a very good point. The new owners will want not only a competent front office, but also one that suits TV. Brian Burke would be a good fit in that respect at least. Maybe Dorion will be the Guenter Steiner of this show, for those who watch Netflix's Drive to Survive; although Steiner seems competent despite his goofiness.
Neither Burke nor Dorion seem to be optimal choices for hockey ops spokesperson for the team.

Reactions: senswon

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I know a lot of folks don't care for his work, but I wouldn't mind Ron Hextall as GM. Dude was on the right track taking it slow and steady in Philly with the prospects. And he probably has a better insight on goalies that Pierre.
I am not sure about Hextal.

I would like to see a short list of potential GM candidates and a summary of their resumes before making a selection. Sounds like an excellent "poll" to be held on HFBoards. :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

We seem to have the D depth now. We need to fill the bottom D pair for next season as we currently have NHL contracts as follows:
Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - (Hamonic UFA)
Chychrun - (Brannstrom RFA)
Kleven (ELC) - Bernard-Docker/Thomson/Guennette (ELC)

The forwards are:
Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
(Debrincat RFA) - Stutzle - Giroux
(Gauthier RFA) - (Pinto RFA) - Joseph
Kelly - Kastelic - (Watson UFA)
(Brown UFA) - (Gambrell UFA) - (Brassard UFA)

Definitely some decisions to be made and contracts to be signed.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Is this when people start to change thier tune? "Ya. I always knew that Dorion was only going to be here for so long. 7 years is a long time. The team needs a new outlook."

2 days earlier "Dorion is the best GM in history and you guys are all wrong. He will have the job until he retires because he is the bestest."

...only get mad when they use the 10th overall pick to draft a 3rd liner.
Wow. Word is new potential owners forming a list of candidates...

Getting interesting!

Last edited:
Reactions: Loach

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We don't need that high end talent (that includes DeBrincat) in our prospect pool. We already have that. Our top 6 is filled out and our top 4 is filled out.
That depends on what happens. Giroux will need to be replaced eventually and possibly Debrincat depending on what happens with his contract. A good young & inexpensive goalie would be helpful as well. That might be Sogaard or Merilainen, but its too early to tell and we don't know yet.

It isn't really a problem to have top level prospects. They can always be traded if it boils down to that and top level prospects will always have value and be coveted by teams. It's far better to have a pipeline and steady stream of top notch prospects. I have no idea why anyone would say that we don't need them.

Reactions: DrEasy and Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad