The Fall of Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We are overflowing with young talent & more coming, most of our best players are under 25 yrs old & they will only get better. I don't get this constant hate when this team has been so entertaining to watch. Why cry over spilled milk all the time when we have such a good entertaining team to watch now & next yr they will be even better if they can stay healthy. You can't do anything about what happened in the past, why constantly bitch about about it?

We have a good team now why not cheer for them instead? No one knows what could have happened if we kept this player or didn't trade that one, we don't know everything that was involved with e very move management made. Greig is going to be a good player, Kleven is so much better than most thought he would be & JBD played well while he was here. All they need is NHL goaltending to be a playoff team & contend.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
We are overflowing with young talent & more coming, most of our best players are under 25 yrs old & they will only get better. I don't get this constant hate when this team has been so entertaining to watch. Why cry over spilled milk all the time when we have such a good entertaining team to watch now & next yr they will be even better if they can stay healthy. You can't do anything about what happened in the past, why constantly bitch about about it?

We have a good team now why not cheer for them instead? No one knows what could have happened if we kept this player or didn't trade that one, we don't know everything that was involved with e very move management made. Greig is going to be a good player, Kleven is so much better than most thought he would be & JBD played well while he was here. All they need is NHL goaltending to be a playoff team & contend.

I think it's reasonable to discuss if too much milk has been spilled and if maybe someone else in charge can result in less of it being spilled.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think it's reasonable to discuss if too much milk has been spilled and if maybe someone else in charge can result in less of it being spilled.
ron-weasley-oh-fo-sho.gif

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They have rebuilt a really good team, there is no evidence that doing what people wanted or not trading this guy or that guy would have made any difference. It's all speculation from arm chair quarterbacks who think they know more about hockey than the pros.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Brent Wallace tweet. Dorion have told Wednesday to his players and employee that he come back next year. Probably know more things about the board

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Brent Wallace tweet. Dorion have told Wednesday to his players and employee that he come back next year. Probably know more things about the board
Likely the board have told him that they'll recommend he stay on as GM next season. Given the timelines it seems likely that this will be the case.

DJ probably back as coach too.

'New owners will clean house' types BTFO.

Reactions: swiftwin

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Likely the board have told him that they'll recommend he stay on as GM next season. Given the timelines it seems likely that this will be the case.

I think if the sale was completed earlier, clean house would have been an option, there were originally rumours the sale could be completed by April, but with it looking like Aug as the earliest we'll see a change, that doesn't really work well.

As it stands, my expectations is a POHO will be announced with or shortly after the sale, and the POHO will eventually put his stamp on the team.

Reactions: Cosmix

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Hilarious to see posters trying to contort themselves to come up with a reason to be against Dorion.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
And when you consider that Dorion could have gotten a 2nd, 4th and 5th from Florida for Hoffman, but instead chose to deal him to San Jose for a cap dump in Boedker because of the idiotic idea that he should be dealt outside of the division (even though we were rebuilding and didn't have a chance at the playoffs), it's even worse than that.

There was so many of these bad moves that we keep forgetting. Maybe time to bump the threads of Dorion good/bad moves

I mean, this is astounding. Not trading Hoffman to the division by the time he was able to put together a decent team... Hoffman has already declined. He's 33 y/o now lol

You really can't make this stuff up

I just can't believe some people defend him at all costs for this wayyyyy below mediocracy. Then they proceed to call you out having a loser mentality :laugh:

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

The new owners, who are still at this point one of several potential groups, can do whatever the hell they want outside of moving the team.

Maybe Reynolds politely laughed at one of Dorion's jokes so he thinks he's safe.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
The sooner new ownership starts bringing in quality front office, the sooner Dorion is gone.

Just a waiting game.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Or why its framed as not cheering for them. You can both, discuss the team, etc., AND cheer for the players we do have. When they play, I absolutely do, Im not sitting there watching it and screaming Dorion sucks lol.

Discussing personnel moves, including past ones or a GM's body of work, is a heck of a lot more interesting than on ice X's and O's or rah rah'ing everything.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Or why its framed as not cheering for them. You can both, discuss the team, etc., AND cheer for the players we do have. When they play, I absolutely do, Im not sitting there watching it and screaming Dorion sucks lol.

Discussing personnel moves, including past ones or a GM's body of work, is a heck of a lot more interesting than on ice X's and O's or rah rah'ing everything.

Wanting the team to be better and do better means you obviously hate the team.

If you're a true fan you celebrate missing the playoffs for six years straight.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If anyone is interested in knowing why I think Dorion's asset and cap management was terrible during the rebuild, look at this list of players he traded for using draft picks and what we ended up getting back:

Murray (-2nd, -3rd)
Stepan (-2nd)
Paquette+Coburn (+2nd)
Zaitsev+Brown (-3rd)
Namestnikov (-4th, +4th)
Reilly (-5th, +3rd)
J.Brown (-4th, +7th)
Gudbranson (-5th, +7th)
Boedker (nothing)
Hainsey (nothing)

What was the net return in picks we got back for those players? We ended up losing a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and two 5ths.

And when you consider that Dorion could have gotten a 2nd, 4th and 5th from Florida for Hoffman, but instead chose to deal him to San Jose for a cap dump in Boedker because of the idiotic idea that he should be dealt outside of the division (even though we were rebuilding and didn't have a chance at the playoffs), it's even worse than that.

The total amount of money spent on those players?

Murray: 10M salary over 2 seasons + 3.75M salary retained over next 2 seasons
Stepan: 2M salary
Paquette: 1.65M salary
Coburn: 1.6M salary
Zaitsev: 18M salary over 4 seasons
Brown: 8.9M over 3 seasons
Namestnikov: 3M salary
Reilly: 3M salary over 2 seasons
J.Brown: 2.4M salary
Gudbranson: 3M salary
Boedker: 3M salary
Hainsey: 3.5M salary for 1 season

Total: 63.8M

So Dorion spent 63.8M in real money on those players, actually lost picks overall to add them to the roster, and obviously looking at those names they didn't help us much when they played for us, which wouldn't have mattered anyway since we were in a full rebuild at the time.

Compare that to what Bill Armstrong has been doing in Arizona and you can see what terrible mismanagement of our limited resources this was. Dude made the decision to weaponize his cap space by taking advantage of teams that spent their money unwisely in exchange for draft picks. Took on Ghost, Ladd, Roussel, Beagle, Eriksson, Stralman, Ritchie, Kassian, Nemeth and others, which helped garner about a dozen 2nds/3rds for his team.

Both GMs weren't able to spend to the cap during their rebuilds, but one decided it was better for his team to take on bad short-term contracts to accumulate a large amount of draft picks, while the other willingly acquired bad players on bad contracts and actually paid draft capital for the priviledge due to a complete inability to evaluate NHL talent.

No idea how anyone could look at this and come to the conclusion that Dorion did a good job during the rebuild. Managed our assets and cap space terribly.
Also show his other moves, or cannot compare,
Like Dzingel for two seconds and a plus?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Just what I see on the ice and I compare it to the other teams I see on the ice. The successful teams and the losing teams.

And a bad leader can make a great entity suck, while a great leader can pull a bad entity forward.

I think from his own words, and from the stories we hear of Dorion and from his rise to the top by selling his soul to Melnyk ( the lying) i thinks its fair to say Dorion is not a high character, leader type individual.
I think it’s fair to say your observations are terrible and you have no idea, your not in the room, don’t go to games, determine your opinion from the tv and radio.
Seems like you’re spewing some big time propaganda here, just like your worst leader in history thread.

LevelingSolo

Jan 15, 2012
Sorry if this has already been posted

As per the Coming in hot Podcast Dorion (assuming he is not canned) will be the first GM in the cap era to keep his job despite missing the playoffs 6 straight years

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Sorry if this has already been posted

As per the Coming in hot Podcast Dorion (assuming he is not canned) will be the first GM in the cap era to keep his job despite missing the playoffs 6 straight years

Great stat but, the Cap era is less than a 20 year snapshot in time

No one has ever done a scorched earth rebuild during covid, with a medling owner

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
The only way we are getting a new coach is if we get a new GM.
Murray would fire a coach if they werent the right fit. Dorion is bestest buddies with DJ and we are stuck with a guy that has no system.

When is the last time we had 4 legit top D men and have two legit top lines?
We still missed the playoffs because of a shitty start.

Reactions: LevelingSolo

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
The only way we are getting a new coach is if we get a new GM.
Murray would fire a coach if they werent the right fit. Dorion is bestest buddies with DJ and we are stuck with a guy that has no system.

When is the last time we had 4 legit top D men and have two legit top lines?
We still missed the playoffs because of a shitty start.

I think DJ goes if we can find a suitable replacement.

Pierre stays for the cups run. His team. His dynasty...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad