The Fall of Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
One thing next year - there will be no more excuses. Covid is gone. Melynk is gone. The kids have significant experience under their belts (most of the core, anyways), and we're not going to have half the damned roster on the LTIR.

Playoffs or bust.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We are overflowing with young talent & more coming, most of our best players are under 25 yrs old & they will only get better. I don't get this constant hate when this team has been so entertaining to watch. Why cry over spilled milk all the time when we have such a good entertaining team to watch now & next yr they will be even better if they can stay healthy. You can't do anything about what happened in the past, why constantly bitch about about it?

We have a good team now why not cheer for them instead? No one knows what could have happened if we kept this player or didn't trade that one, we don't know everything that was involved with e very move management made. Greig is going to be a good player, Kleven is so much better than most thought he would be & JBD played well while he was here. All they need is NHL goaltending to be a playoff team & contend.
I've cheered for them ever since they entered the league in 1992-93. And, I always will.

I don't see any connection whatsoever between being a good fan and asking questions or wondering about decisions or things that have been done. Asking questions isn't "hate". That's a bizarre, simplistic & erroneous connection to make imho. I don't want to spend a huge amount of time on this subject as it's a road that is well traveled and it gets old.

But, on the bolded subject, what prospects do you see in our system that are top 6 forwards or top 4 defenseman that haven't already played at least some games (so I'm including Kleven & maybe Sogaard here)? I could also ask about goaltending which will be an important off-season subject. I think our top level prospects, other than Grieg maybe have already graduated. It would be nice to have top level players being able to step in when other players leave e.g., Debrincat (possibly?), Giroux. I think the trades for top picks we've made lately will make it a little harder to have top level graduates in the next few years.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
How do you know? We have such shitty luck when it comes to this

Well, if we do end up losing so many players again, then we need to find out why. It's at a point all these injuries isn't just bad luck. Especially when talking about the shoulders.

And if there is a commonality to it, then not fixing it is unacceptable. Not just from a sports standpoint, but from a human standpoint.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Well, if we do end up losing so many players again, then we need to find out why. It's at a point all these injuries isn't just bad luck. Especially when talking about the shoulders.

And if there is a commonality to it, then not fixing it is unacceptable. Not just from a sports standpoint, but from a human standpoint.
Maybe it's just the luck of the draw though.

I agree, it's very frustrating to assemble a good roster and miss the playoffs because of injuries.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think if the sale was completed earlier, clean house would have been an option, there were originally rumours the sale could be completed by April, but with it looking like Aug as the earliest we'll see a change, that doesn't really work well.

As it stands, my expectations is a POHO will be announced with or shortly after the sale, and the POHO will eventually put his stamp on the team.
Change is in the wind! Timing is the issue.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The only way we are getting a new coach is if we get a new GM.
Murray would fire a coach if they werent the right fit. Dorion is bestest buddies with DJ and we are stuck with a guy that has no system.

When is the last time we had 4 legit top D men and have two legit top lines?
We still missed the playoffs because of a shitty start.
Dorion will fire DJ if the team does poorly in the first 10 or 20 games next season.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Someone who can put together a cohesive plan, someone who can lead and demand respect, someone who holds people accountable.

And I listen to guys like Yzerman, Sakic, Mourinho, Klopp etc and I compare that to Pierre Dorion and they are not even in the same stratosphere.

I have never heard Dorion speak and thought oh wow that's deep. It's just all copy paste cliches from him. When you hear the others speak they are straight dropping knowledge.

But even forgetting all that, since it is indeed vague and hard to describe and I'm obviously biased. Let's use whatever criteria you or anyone else has when they think of winning culture, of leadership, of respect and admiration. Is Dorion the face that appears when you think of these things?

Does Dorion fulfill your personal definition when you think of winning culture?
Not mine.
I suspect the new owners will want to demonstrate to the fan base that they are serious about improving the on-ice performance of the team and appoint a new GM asap with a mandate to do whatever is required to get there. They cannot come in , say that, and do nothing.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I've cheered for them ever since they entered the league in 1992-93. And, I always will.

I don't see any connection whatsoever between being a good fan and asking questions or wondering about decisions or things that have been done. Asking questions isn't "hate". That's a bizarre, simplistic & erroneous connection to make imho. I don't want to spend a huge amount of time on this subject as it's a road that is well traveled and it gets old.

But, on the bolded subject, what prospects do you see in our system that are top 6 forwards or top 4 defenseman that haven't already played at least some games (so I'm including Kleven & maybe Sogaard here)? I could also ask about goaltending which will be an important off-season subject. I think our top level prospects, other than Grieg maybe have already graduated. It would be nice to have top level players being able to step in when other players leave e.g., Debrincat (possibly?), Giroux. I think the trades for top picks we've made lately will make it a little harder to have top level graduates in the next few years.
The fact that our team is so young means it's ging to be good for quite some time giving the organization time to restock their prospect pool. You mentioned some of the young guys that are coming & I would include Ostapchuk. I also don't think they all need to be top six players, they also need good bottom six players, goaltenders & defencemen who can help the team win in the playoffs which we have seen. Not every player was a blue chip prospect.

Every team makes mistakes with trades, with drafts & with signings it isn't unique to Ottawa, what gets old is people constantly bitching about the same thing for yrs. They have built a very good team here & IMO they are going to get better given they are young & our best players/prospects for the most part are still quite young & most already on the team.

But there are others that have potential to be good NHL players but again it doesn't HAVE to mean they are top six players. Greig, Kleven, Ostapchuk, Sogaard, Merilainen, Jarventie, Petersson & JBD could all turn into everyday players or they may not, we don't know. All we want is for this team to win at least one cup & this seems to be the best team we have had in quite a while. And some of the guys mentioned above should help them to contend at some point. I've also supported this team from before day 1 & put down money to get a team.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
We don't need that high end talent (that includes DeBrincat) in our prospect pool. We already have that. Our top 6 is filled out and our top 4 is filled out.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
We don't need that high end talent (that includes DeBrincat) in our prospect pool. We already have that. Our top 6 is filled out and our top 4 is filled out.
are you serious? you need a constant pipeline of high end talent.

players regress, get injured, aren't worth their contract, others improve and demand higher contracts, money gets tight.

You ALWAYS need high end talent in the pipeline, to replace, reshuffle, get better.

i swear you like that the team is bad.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Pittsburgh fires their entire top-level Hockey Operations staff after 1 season of missing the playoffs.

The parallel for us would be firing everyone after missing in 2017-18, instead, we bought into Dorion rebuilding, once that decision was made, the evaluation is no longer about playoffs, it's about rebuilding. Seems like the pieces are coming together pretty well right now, we might still fire Dorion and bring in a closer, but there really isn't much of a comparison to be made with the Pens this year.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
are you serious? you need a constant pipeline of high end talent.

players regress, get injured, aren't worth their contract, others improve and demand higher contracts, money gets tight.

You ALWAYS need high end talent in the pipeline, to replace, reshuffle, get better.

i swear you like that the team is bad.
We'll get more at some point. We just don't need a huge amount in the near future. We're basically a cap team, and we're locked in on alot of long term contracts, and we have the cap space to keep them all.

Besides, we have Kleven, we have Greig, we have Boucher.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
He's so cooked my dudes. 100%.

New ownership is going to realize what a doofus he is. If they don't already.

If you think of any major corporation that is sold or acquired, the execs are kaput. Pierre will be scouting or an AHL GM next October.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Players have really gone to bat for DJ Smith, didn’t hear much support for Dorion.

It’s a weird time because many fans feel new ownership will be a time for renewal and a fresh start - Pierre Dorion is the opposite of a fresh start. I just can’t see how he sells this program - the stars of this are Brady and Stutzle, everyone else is window dressing

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Have y’all seen this from Seravelli? First time hearing about these behind-the-scene developments

3. What changes will new ownership make in Ottawa?​

There’s never been a more exciting time to be an Ottawa Senator, at least not in the last 15 years. That’s a fact. The first clause of that statement may be true, too, with all of the buzz surrounding a pending purchase and new well-heeled owners taking over. It’s not just the idea of finally breaking ground on a new downtown arena, or the resources provided by a new ownership group. It’s also the young pieces the Sens have in place, now bolstered by the addition of Jakob Chychrun. But after a season with increased expectations that again fell well short of a playoff spot, the next Sens owners are expected to look long and hard at Ottawa’s leadership in place. That includes both GM Pierre Dorion and coach D.J. Smith. The Sens’ season was sunk in November after another listless start at 6-12-1. There is word some potential bidders have already begun to internally form their candidate lists for those positions. There is no doubt those will be highly coveted positions now.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Have y’all seen this from Seravelli? First time hearing about these behind-the-scene developments

Good. I actually think Pierre did a very good job rebuilding this team all things considered, but his trades are so hit and miss I prefer an upgrade at a time when trading will be most of what we do.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
So we've been tanking/rebuilding for 6 years which is a long time, but we also started off the rebuild with an almost unprecedented firesale of in prime talent. Which is is probably good for 2-3 years if not more of tanking.

So that's 8-9 years of assets we should be hoarding.

So where the f*** are the prospects? Where the f*** is the depth? And not only that but this rebuild was basically saved by the luck of the draw in the 2020 draft.

What in the f*** Pierre? And people still want to keep him lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad