The Fall of Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don't understand how this GM and the coach watch replays of this garbage and think it's acceptable

That looked like confusion, as though each guy was waiting for the other guy to do the thing.

I think I want a coach who would tears a strip in between periods for that kind of thing, or maybe it’s a sign of confusion and guys not knowing what they’re supposed to be doing. I don’t know what would make the guys play better, whether it’s motivation, systems, accountability, or a mix of everything.

Either way that play, and others, look terrible.

Reactions: Alex1234

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Tbh the only thing Dorion has excelled at has been good extensions(Stutzle, Zub, Batherson, Tkachuk).

Even his drafting isn't THAT great. Batherson was a great late round pick, Pinto and Formenton were good 2nd round picks but passing on K'Andre Miller, Peterka, Sillinger/one of the 2021 goalies were huge misses.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
How come it doesn't make much sense? I mean, is our pro scouting evaluating talent at the NHL level has been good?

There's so many other ways we could be spending money other than Hamonic + Talbot + Zaitsev + Joseph + Watson + Gambrell

17 M$ that could be spent way differently. Like Nick Paul, Connor Brown, Filip Gustavsson, Dylan DeMelo, Rudolfs Balcers, Anthony Duclair, Ian Cole, Filip Chlapik, I don't know anybody who is better at hockey
Same thing I complained about when Karlsson was here. Too much allotted to too many guys not moving the needle while eating valuable budget as a sum of their parts that prevents other options. There's always different options than the ones they chose, we're just not always privy to them, but the prevailing thought from some was always that it must have been the best they could do.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Tbh the only thing Dorion has excelled at has been good extensions(Stutzle, Zub, Batherson, Tkachuk).

Even his drafting isn't THAT great. Batherson was a great late round pick, Pinto and Formenton were good 2nd round picks but passing on K'Andre Miller, Peterka, Sillinger/one of the 2021 goalies were huge misses.
That sounds like a solid AGM to be honest, the contracts guy.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
“It’s worth pointing out here that once-promising Senators goaltender Filip Gustavsson, who was traded to the Minnesota Wild for Talbot last summer, is running with the league leaders while boasting a .926 save percentage and 2.16 goals-against average.”

Oof, many recent trades have been insta bombs.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I don’t see why we would accept non top 6 caliber guys in our top six, but be adamant that we need 4 top 4 caliber dmen in the top 4.

We need both.

Paul is not a top six playmaker, skater, or scorer, he’s a bottom 6 defensive forward who is rarely physical for his size, who has break out games occasionally, and who works hard and has a wicked story of perseverance. He’s earned his shot with Tampa, but we don’t actually need him anymore. We need his spot for Grieg and Crookshank to get a shot.

Couple things here.
1. We are about to play bottom 6 guys on the top 2 lines. So much for that…
2. Nick Paul is a 6’4” 230lbs Swiss Army knife. Not only can he play every forward position effectively, he’s also an exceptional defensive player who by all accounts works his ass off every shift, plays the right way all day every day and was a leader on and off the ice. Who t F doesn’t need that? and to replace him with a dime a dozen guy for the same money he was asking for…
Pierre took a gamble and he lost, badly.
Nick Paul is exactly the kind of player this team needs.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Couple things here.
1. We are about to play bottom 6 guys on the top 2 lines. So much for that…
2. Nick Paul is a 6’4” 230lbs Swiss Army knife. Not only can he play every forward position effectively, he’s also an exceptional defensive player who by all accounts works his ass off every shift, plays the right way all day every day and was a leader on and off the ice. Who t F doesn’t need that? and to replace him with a dime a dozen guy for the same money he was asking for…
Pierre took a gamble and he lost, badly.
Nick Paul is exactly the kind of player this team needs.
I like Paul, I just don’t have the same level of love for the guys as many in here I guess. I much preferred Brown as a ‘Swiss army knife player’.

Nick Paul is not really why we need going forward in my opinion, but then again neither is Joseph. I want to see Formy and Grieg and Crookshank over keeping Paul for 7 years at over 3 million.

Paul used to have a couple of dominant games here and there, but generally he was an effective bottom six forward who didn’t really take advantage of his size, and wasn’t that fleet of foot.

We could use a boat anchor to help the team right now, but in terms of our roster going forward with a different management team and coaching staff, no, I don’t think Nick was a long term fit. As I said I would have kept Brown over Paul everyday of the week.

Hell, we could circle back to Brown this off season if we wanted to.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'd prefer Brown over Paul, but not sure if we'd ever be able to sign him for what Paul would've cost. Having said that, if we can manage to sign Brown in FA that'd be dope

Reactions: Ice-Tray

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
That sounds like a solid AGM to be honest, the contracts guy.
For all the flack I give Dorion, I will say his work on contracts are probably his greatest strength.

The term and aav of Brady, Giroux, Stu, Norris, Bath, Zub, and Forbserg are all solid deals. Despite how bad Chabot's been lately, his deal was a good as well just to have someone young commit to the franchise.

Joseph may have been a year or two too long, but its a gamble that can still pay off.

White's deal wasn't an overpay, he just had shit injury luck and that's what lead to his buy out.

The only overpayment was Murray.

Dorion can be critiqued for a lot of reasons, but I think negotiating term and aav is the hardest to do.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
That looked like confusion, as though each guy was waiting for the other guy to do the thing.

I think I want a coach who would tears a strip in between periods for that kind of thing, or maybe it’s a sign of confusion and guys not knowing what they’re supposed to be doing. I don’t know what would make the guys play better, whether it’s motivation, systems, accountability, or a mix of everything.

Either way that play, and others, look terrible.
It wouldn't be talked about if it was a one off thing that happened here and there but it's a recurring theme throughout the whole season and DJs tenure here.

It's not even from a good play either. Just someone driving the net

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Is DJ a tape guy?

I could be totally wrong but I get the sense that the coaches don't really go over game tape with the players that much. I feel a few hours of really breaking down these communications issues and situational decision making would clear up a lot of the problems we're seeing over and over again without solution.

Or maybe they just aren't proactive enough with their assignments.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Dorion scouting two LA Kings games back to back in person before a three day break and DeBrincat leaving early in the third have my stoned butt pooping these pants right now.

Edit: DeBrincat had a misconduct penalty - but I am still just as scared.

Last edited:
Reactions: bicboi64

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Should have done what it took to keep Paul.
Biggest screw up in the last couple years.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'

I've seen Holden make some good plays under pressure recently, but it's also noticeable how slow he is now. Lead-feet slow.
He looked like he was getting out of the way, it's not like he was getting over to cover a trailer since nobody else was coming, he just cleared the path to the net and abdicated responsibility to the backchecker. Sure, Chabot pinched and got caught deep, that's going to happen when your trailing in the third and have been struggling to score at ES.

Not seeing how anyone can defend how Holden played that.

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON

Dorion has been here for nearly 7 years and has only drafted 48 players, and only 5 of them have played 100+ games. For a rebuilding team, he only makes about 6 picks a year, and misses on almost everyone outside of the first top 5 picks.
The only thing Dorion has done well is contract extensions to our top players and make a lot of trades, he is 11th all-time in trades for GMs in one tenure.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
If you guys have heard the coming in hot podcast….Jon Cooper told Bobby Ryan ‘what was ottawa thinking giving up on Paul?’

Nick Paul wasn't going to do what he's doing now if he was still here. Beyond having better linemates in Tampa this team just does not seem conducive to maximizing player effectiveness.

Everyone seems to get worse while here and gets better when they leave. There's top to bottom rot in this organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad