The Fall of Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The fact that apparently the Sens think they’re in a dog fight for the playoffs tells me we have 1 final dumb Dorion trade to go before he finally vacates his position.

As the gap to a wild card card grows the mind set to improve for this year will diminish .. If they can make a trade for a longer term fit ..that's different.

I posted that more for. Doug Maclean's comment on Dorion needing to get a new wardrobe in the summer because his chest was puffed out so much.,

I think you need a dog that can fight if you want to be in a dog fight.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Hamonic + Talbot for 6m

When a better job could be done by Gustavsson and some random depth low wage D.

Just Dorion Things.
I'd call these Agent Zub things.

Random statements that don't really make much sense.

I think it was a pretty widely held view that we didn't have enough experience in nets with a Forsberg/Gus tandem.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think it was a pretty widely held view that we didn't have enough experience in nets with a Forsberg/Gus tandem.
I for one was fine going into the season with Forsberg as our starter.

To me, you don't extend Forsberg to the contract we did unless you see him as a potential starter. He's the 40th highest paid goalie in the league, with 6 of the guys ahead of him having played Zero games this year. We either have faith in him to bridge us till one of the prospects were ready and sign that deal, or we don't and we let him walk.

Going out and getting Talbot seemed like we started second guessing ourselves. We should have stuck it out imo since this wasn't a win now year anyways, but I didn't expect Talbot to be this inconsistent.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
I for one was fine going into the season with Forsberg as our starter.

To me, you don't extend Forsberg to the contract we did unless you see him as a potential starter. He's the 40th highest paid goalie in the league, with 6 of the guys ahead of him having played Zero games this year. We either have faith in him to bridge us till one of the prospects were ready and sign that deal, or we don't and we let him walk.

Going out and getting Talbot seemed like we started second guessing ourselves. We should have stuck it out imo since this wasn't a win now year anyways, but I didn't expect Talbot to be this inconsistent.
Maybe Pierre knew that he wouldn't be the GM of the Senators next year if the team didn't do well this year? So, maybe he wasn't going to take a chance on Gus and moved him for a vet?

Reactions: lancepitlick

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Maybe Pierre knew that he wouldn't be the GM of the Senators next year if the team didn't do well this year? So, maybe he wasn't going to take a chance on Gus and moved him for a vet?
Sure, Pierre definitely made a short term move, same thing with the DeBrincat trade to a lesser extent.

It's unfortunate that someone who was essentially a Deadman walking was the one making the calls.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Was listening to the post game show from last night while grocery shopping today. Aj said that he knew for a fact that Jaques Martin thought he had the head coaching job before Smith was hired by dorion.

Frustrating that they could have and almost did go with a guy who has proven to be effective at doing exactly what this team seems to be lacking under DJ

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Was listening to the post game show from last night while grocery shopping today. Aj said that he knew for a fact that Jaques Martin thought he had the head coaching job before Smith was hired by dorion.

Frustrating that they could have and almost did go with a guy who has proven to be effective at doing exactly what this team seems to be lacking under DJ
What? Really? Anything else?

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

Would not surprise me. Weak leaders like Dorion like to surround themselves with other weak individuals so their beliefs are not challenged and the people are beholden to them.

Heck it's how Dorion got the job with Melnyk.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
What? Really? Anything else?

Yeah its in the post game show from last night, before half way through. Not sure exactly of the time stamp. But he 100 percent said that he knew it to be true as a fact. Went over how Jaques was convinced that he had the job, and postulated on how different this team would be if it had a defensive structure in place.

Said that DJ was great at teaching the team how to compete, but Jaques could teach young players how to play.

I completely agree.

I'm holding out hope that a new ownership group with a high profile guy like Ryan Renyolds will be able to convince Trotz to come to Ottawa, but if not . .. a defensive minded coach like Martin isn't a bad option at all. Even if he gets canned a few seasons in.

Reactions: DrEasy

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

How does it not make much sense? Dorion yet again shot this team in the foot.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

There was cheaper avenue if you were after experience

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Would not surprise me. Weak leaders like Dorion like to surround themselves with other weak individuals so their beliefs are not challenged and the people are beholden to them.

Heck it's how Dorion got the job with Melnyk.
It’s not actually how he got the job.

He was groomed for the position by the previous GM, Brian Murray, (not a weak leader) who promoted him to AGM and then set him on the succession path before he died.

He acted as advisor to him during his final months.

• Haha
Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

He was groomed for the position by the previous GM, Brian Murray, (not a weak leader) who promoted him to AGM and then set him on the succession path before he died.

Ya Dorion was doing a lot before Murray passed. Murray credited him with orchestrating the Phaneuf deal. Not a big fan of that one, but I remember that part when Murray spoke about it and basically said Dorion handled it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Weren't we grooming T.Murray before Buffalo stole him from us? Then we promoted both Dorion and Randy Lee to AGM (only a few months prior to B.Murrays cancer diagnosis) and there was at least for a little while se uncertainty as to which one would get the GM gig?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Weren't we grooming T.Murray before Buffalo stole him from us? Then we promoted both Dorion and Randy Lee to AGM (only a few months prior to B.Murrays cancer diagnosis) and there was at least for a little while se uncertainty as to which one would get the GM gig?
T.Murray was AGM, and thank god he moved on before BMurr!

The finer details are worth discussion, but for the purpose of my post, he was hired and promoted by Murray, and was not a weak ‘yes’ man placement by Melnyk.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
T.Murray was AGM, and thank god he moved on before BMurr!

The finer details are worth discussion, but for the purpose of my post, he was hired and promoted by Murray, and was not a weak ‘yes’ man placement by Melnyk.
If I remember correctly, when B.Murr was diagnosed, Melnyk told him he'd need to find his replacement, I really don't think Dorion got his job by cosying up to Melnyk, so I'm with you on that. I was just reminiscing I guess...

T.Murr sure screwed things up in Buffalo, but his acquisition of O'Reilly set in motion a trade tree that has really helped the team out today, it's actually pretty wild how good that ended up for them, but man that team had issues while he was there.

Glad we went with Dorion over Lee I guess.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Buffalo has been bad for along time.
11 straight seasons without playoff hockey.
They have had to retool/rebuild a couple of times.
I hope we can put a team together that can be in the playoffs soon. Go Sens go!

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
If I remember correctly, when B.Murr was diagnosed, Melnyk told him he'd need to find his replacement, I really don't think Dorion got his job by cosying up to Melnyk, so I'm with you on that. I was just reminiscing I guess...

T.Murr sure screwed things up in Buffalo, but his acquisition of O'Reilly set in motion a trade tree that has really helped the team out today, it's actually pretty wild how good that ended up for them, but man that team had issues while he was there.

Glad we went with Dorion over Lee I guess.
Looks like we avoided getting our peepees slapped. Twice.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Lol, I mean, this board had people complaining we lost Balcers for nothing, so of course some people would care.

Some people thought we should have gotten a 1st for Brown and we're disappointed we only got a 2nd, there is no world in which no one would care... That's just naive at best.

Now, would the criticisms be fair, maybe, maybe not. Had we held on to him with the intent of flipping him at the deadline, or for a roster player along the way if a hockey deal arose, that would be a perfectly defensible decision, and should he have gotten hurt and been untradable, well thems the brakes. I'd personally have preferred we go that route in a bubble, but there are other factors. Does he want to be here, the human element suggests moving someone who wants out can be preferable even if it seems like a poor decision on paper. Did our budget allow us the flexibility to keep him around till the deadline? Idk. Did we have another trade lined up that required we clear the deck or get assets back in advance only to see the second trade fall through? Who knows.

I think the angst comes from why didn’t he not want to be here? (Why don’t so many players want to be here when we hear everyone is good and happy in the dressing room. Brown helped built it why not stick around for the playoff push with the team and if it doesn’t work you go to a contender at the deadline and try to win a Cup then go get your money?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

How come it doesn't make much sense? I mean, is our pro scouting evaluating talent at the NHL level has been good?

There's so many other ways we could be spending money other than Hamonic + Talbot + Zaitsev + Joseph + Watson + Gambrell

17 M$ that could be spent way differently. Like Nick Paul, Connor Brown, Filip Gustavsson, Dylan DeMelo, Rudolfs Balcers, Anthony Duclair, Ian Cole, Filip Chlapik, I don't know anybody who is better at hockey

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
DBC is our second most skilled player after Stu, and Paul is absolutely not a top 6 player. He’s killing it right now in Tampa, but we have seen him for years.

I don’t see why we would accept non top 6 caliber guys in our top six, but be adamant that we need 4 top 4 caliber dmen in the top 4.

We need both.

Paul is not a top six playmaker, skater, or scorer, he’s a bottom 6 defensive forward who is rarely physical for his size, who has break out games occasionally, and who works hard and has a wicked story of perseverance. He’s earned his shot with Tampa, but we don’t actually need him anymore. We need his spot for Grieg and Crookshank to get a shot.

Brown wanted out, we got a nice pick for him, and we gave what would have been his spot, which was also a reduction in role in a contract year, to Joseph for cheaper.

These moves aren’t ‘plan the parade’ but they are tidy pieces of business to save a bit of money, clear roster spots in the bottom six, while doing right by two good soldiers during the worst of the rebuild.

You want to replace an impact bottom 6 forward who showed up in Game 7 versus Toronto and was the difference maker for Crookshank who’s a -22 in Belleville - don’t follow the logic?

Do we have to many good players in the bottom 6?

Reactions: Dionysus

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
DBC is our second most skilled player after Stu, and Paul is absolutely not a top 6 player. He’s killing it right now in Tampa, but we have seen him for years.

I don’t see why we would accept non top 6 caliber guys in our top six, but be adamant that we need 4 top 4 caliber dmen in the top 4.

We need both.

Paul is not a top six playmaker, skater, or scorer, he’s a bottom 6 defensive forward who is rarely physical for his size, who has break out games occasionally, and who works hard and has a wicked story of perseverance. He’s earned his shot with Tampa, but we don’t actually need him anymore. We need his spot for Grieg and Crookshank to get a shot.

Brown wanted out, we got a nice pick for him, and we gave what would have been his spot, which was also a reduction in role in a contract year, to Joseph for cheaper.

These moves aren’t ‘plan the parade’ but they are tidy pieces of business to save a bit of money, clear roster spots in the bottom six, while doing right by two good soldiers during the worst of the rebuild.
Dj wants a non top 6 caliber guy on line 1 and 2 though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad