The Fall of Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Bottom feeder 6 years in a row is impressive when you consider DET, BUF, LA and MTL are also rebuilding and are in front of us in the standings

Reactions: Chabot84 and Cosmix

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Remember last year when Clark Bishop was out and the GM and coach kept mentioning him as a massive depth lose.

Ottawa has a depth problem, and a management and coaching problem. The team has bad depth and an excuse machine for a GM and coach.
You know I had completely forgotten about Clark Bishop.

I also keep getting his name wrong and calling him Bishop Clark.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Dorion should have been fired the moment he took that Stepan deal to ownership. Total incompetence.

He is now the single biggest impediment to this team competing again.
I disagree and disagree. He should have been fired when he took the Zibby trade to ownership. After ownership, Dorion as GM is the single biggest impediment to this team competing. Third is DJ and his coaching staff.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Naw, you sign DBC and run with JBD for a season if needs be. The cap space will be there the following year to add a #4 defender if we for some reason are feeling too squeezed.

In my opinion you absolutely don’t let a young top line winger go so that you can sign a complimentary second pairing RD and a lesser winger.

The opportunity was there to nab a core player to the team so we took it, I want the team to do that every time. Most core guys are locked up long term, so as the cap jumps we’ll have more and more space to sign new players, especially with dead cap space and Z off the books.

Be patient, sign and keep the good players.

Agree with this 100%

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Bottom feeder 6 years in a row is impressive when you consider DET, BUF, LA and MTL are also rebuilding and are in front of us in the standings
And yet with a few wins the Sens can be at or near the top of that pack despite missing their #1C all season, among many others at different times.

Buffalo has been in the dumpster for over a decade and likely still would be if not for Tage Thompsons incredible play. But it's kinda rich to hear a Sens fan expecting to be ahead of a team that's been in the basement for twice as long.

Detroit signed a bunch of mediocre FAs to big deals and are a clear step behind the Sens in terms of young star power. They never got the gamebreakers that they needed while they were at rock bottom and drafting high, and i dont see any later round steals emerging like we did with the Bolts under Stevie Y. The lottery bent them over HARD to be sure though. Personally speaking, Detroit doesn't worry me in the future though.

Lol at Montreal and I'm happy for them and their success this season. It's only going to hurt their rebuild if they miss out on a top pick in this year, of all years. It's sad they're ahead of us today to be sure, but they are running on borrowed time right now in terms of team success. Feels like the young pesky Sens under rookie HC Paul Maclean - bound to piss off opponents but will ultimately go no where because it's a pretty bad roster.

And LA is in the slackers division, and would probably be getting bulldozed if they were in the Atlantic. They literally only have a few players under 25yrs old that are helping them win, and none of them are stars. Just depth players in the middle of the lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crosside

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No team has depth for 6 injuries, the cap doesn’t allow for extra depth, other than minimum wagers.
What's Boston, Toronto, Washington and Pittsburghs explanation for their ability to deal with injuries then?

Th arrogance to suggest that Dorion has done a good job and that if you can't see it is because your can't see big picture is about as ironic as it gets.

Defend him until you're blue in the face he won't be here long. The results speak for themselves the track record is long. No amount of mental gymnastics is going to change it.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
What's Boston, Toronto, Washington and Pittsburghs explanation for their ability to deal with injuries then?

Th arrogance to suggest that Dorion has done a good job and that if you can't see it is because your can't see big picture is about as ironic as it gets.

Defend him until you're blue in the face he won't be here long. The results speak for themselves the track record is long. No amount of mental gymnastics is going to change it.
Veteran teams are always more able to withstand injuries. You know that.

The single biggest thing we needed this year was health. And we haven't got it. I posted the other day that the one player we couldn't afford to lose was Norris.

Lose a D man? We've got lots. Sure it hurts at the top but there are other guys that can play a few more minutes. We've lost a lot of man games at D already and important man games with Chabot and Zub missing time yet we're in the middle third in goals against

Lose a top 6 winger? We've got several top 6 wingers. We'd have been able to withstand it better.

Centre. Lose Norris and what do you have? 40 games of Stuetzle playing centre and a rookie coming off a lost season. It's the Ottawa way. The one guy we can't afford to lose is lost long term before things really get started.

Idk Bert, there's just no way to be successful with your top 2 centers having <60 games at C under their belts.

It really impacted the bottom 6 too. Pinto is a terrific player and would have been a line driver at 3C. He's not driving a line at 2C and what comes up behind him is not near his caliber

The moment Norris went down long term, we were in rough shape

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
And yet with a few wins the Sens can be at or near the top of that pack despite missing their #1C all season, among many others at different times.

Buffalo has been in the dumpster for over a decade and likely still would be if not for Tage Thompsons incredible play. But it's kinda rich to hear a Sens fan expecting to be ahead of a team that's been in the basement for twice as long.

Detroit signed a bunch of mediocre FAs to big deals and are a clear step behind the Sens in terms of young star power. They never got the gamebreakers that they needed while they were at rock bottom and drafting high, and i dont see any later round steals emerging like we did with the Bolts under Stevie Y. The lottery bent them over HARD to be sure though. Personally speaking, Detroit doesn't worry me in the future though.

Lol at Montreal and I'm happy for them and their success this season. It's only going to hurt their rebuild if they miss out on a top pick in this year, of all years. It's sad they're ahead of us today to be sure, but they are running on borrowed time right now in terms of team success. Feels like the young pesky Sens under rookie HC Paul Maclean - bound to piss off opponents but will ultimately go no where because it's a pretty bad roster.

And LA is in the slackers division, and would probably be getting bulldozed if they were in the Atlantic. They literally only have a few players under 25yrs old that are helping them win, and none of them are stars. Just depth players in the middle of the lineup.
Their rebuild have been shorter and yet...

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Just a amazing trade by Yzerman to get Ville Husso for a 3rd ro pi and solidify the goattending. For the amount of 2nd picks Dorion has given for terrible players to think he couldn’t secure the goaltenDing at $4.5 million/year for a 26 year old goalie with those stats and NHL games under his belt as a starter - STUPID

Reactions: Bileur

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Buffalo last made the playoffs in 2011. Not that impressive, 11 years, so double the Sens.

Following a Dorion led team is like being in the backseat on a road trip and when you ask the driver how much longer until we get there he says “it’s just coming up and when we get there it’ll be great” but you’ve been in the car for 4 years with the exact same scenery asking the exact same question and the driver is of course Pierre Dorion Junior and you’re listening to DJ Smith with his outdoor voice on the radio

• Haha
Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
There's no excuse for a team which has been rebuilding for over 5 years to still be so low in the standings. I don't care about comparisons to Buffalo or Detroit, we should be starting to compete and are still far, far from it. Injuries happen to every team but let's be fair, we weren't exactly world-beaters with Norris in the lineup.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
"Pierre is doing a good job because we're not Buffalo" is an interesting take. Is the bar that low?
I’m not the one that brought up Buffalo, and how successful their rebuild was compared to Ottawa , but thanks for playing.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The f*** are you on? 2020 was just two years ago. Look at our 3 picks from the 2020 draft. One is just starting to blossom into a #1C role, the other is still a rookie (and calder candidate), and the other is still not in the NHL.

A this point, it's looking like we may very well have the 2 best players from that draft, and the third one is in the top 10. That's insanely impressive.

lol I'll ignore the aggressivity and I'll help you count instead

1 : 2020-21
2 : 2021-22
3 : 2022-23

Newsflash : 2023 is at the corner, we are in the 2022-23 season. Unless you think things have gone perfectly for us this season? I mean, the season is not over but it would take a 2006-07 type turnaround for us to go anywhere this year

Not sure why you're trying to convince me about the 2020 picks, I mean I said "we had the BEST position in the whole NHL after that 2020 draft"

Anyway, you haven't "accepted" anything from the last 3 years so I am not expecting you to suddenly figure it out but for the benefit of others :

I thought we had the "best future" in the NHL after that 2020 draft. I also thought it was pretty normal to "bottom-out" in 2017-18, 2018-19 and 2019-20. There was no reason to continue sucking after that, we needed to start progressing significantly but we started the season 2-12-1, in a 56 games season... Dorion made plenty of bad moves before that season and brought pretty bad veterans which was really NOT IDEAL for our young players who were totally thrown out to the wolves. The bad moves, the lack of foresight, the bad asset management, etc continued after that and here we are today. For a 3rd season in a row where we should have been progressing, we're treading water at the bottom of the standings and every season is a different story on why (very easy to see coming though). This season, we have a terrible bottom-6 and RD (this has been a constant though), probably the worst in the NHL at both positions. How the heck do you expect to compete like that? We don't have McDrai to outscore the opposition on a regular basis.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

You're right, them missing on a top pick would be a nice silver lining... but going to comment on the highlighted. In 2012-13, this is the roster we had. Some were just rookies and didn't play much, some were getting older but totally disagree it was a "pretty bad roster". That team made the playoffs 2 years in a row while convincingly beating the 2nd seed in 5 games, despite a lot of key injuries

Mika Zibanejad (19)
Mark Stone (20)
Jean-Gabriel Pageau (20)
Jakob Silfverberg (22)
Mike Hoffman (23)
Kyle Turris (23) : season after showing that the former 3rd OA pick was going to be a top-6 center
Zack Smith (24)
Guillaume Latendresse (25)
Milan Michálek (28) : season after scoring 35 goals
Jason Spezza (29) : season just after 84 pts in 80 GP and probably his best 2-way season in career
Chris Neil (33)
Daniel Alfredsson (40) : season after 59 pts in 75 GP (NHL scoring was significantly less than today), still a great vet

Erik Karlsson (22) : season just after winning his first Norris
Patrick Wiercioch (22)
Jared Cowen (22)
Marc Methot (27)
Chris Phillips (34)
Sergei Gonchar (38)

Robin Lehner (21)
Ben Bishop (26)
Craig Anderson (31)

That team was mostly built on drafting and a few moves (trades for Anderson, Methot, Turris, Michalek, and Gonchar signing) and didn't have the benefit of going to a scorched earth rebuild for years. We pretty much retooled on the fly with the 2011 deadline. Yet that team looked much deeper than the current one.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I’m not the one that brought up Buffalo, and how successful their rebuild was compared to Ottawa , but thanks for playing.
Are we judging teams or the job done by the GM? Adams has only been in Buffalo since 2020, Tim Murray's unsuccessful rebuild doesn't mean the Adams hasn't done a great job.

Tim Murray did a terrible job rebuilding the team, he was fired and Botteril was asked to rebuild the team, it wasn't a continuation of the same rebuild, they had very different visions of what success looked like. Now Adams is implementing his vision.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
There's no excuse for a team which has been rebuilding for over 5 years to still be so low in the standings. I don't care about comparisons to Buffalo or Detroit, we should be starting to compete and are still far, far from it. Injuries happen to every team but let's be fair, we weren't exactly world-beaters with Norris in the lineup.
We were 4-2 prior to the Norris injury. If we're being fair, I'm not sure what your point is

Reactions: Samsquanch

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Not sure why you're trying to convince me about the 2020 picks, I mean I said "we had the BEST position in the whole NHL after that 2020 draft"
...because of the 2020 draft

Let those players establish themselves before freaking out.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Are we judging teams or the job done by the GM? Adams has only been in Buffalo since 2020, Tim Murray's unsuccessful rebuild doesn't mean the Adams hasn't done a great job.

Tim Murray did a terrible job rebuilding the team, he was fired and Botteril was asked to rebuild the team, it wasn't a continuation of the same rebuild, they had very different visions of what success looked like. Now Adams is implementing his vision.
Unsuccessful is still unsuccessful.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
We're 2 point from 4th place in the division. Despite all the injures.

That's not a bottom feeder.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
We're 2 point from 4th place in the division. Despite all the injures.

That's not a bottom feeder.
We were 25th in the league when I wrote this
I said we might win the cup in 2017 after the 6th games vs Pittsburgh also if you want to go back and say I was wrong
Can't remember in 2007 though so Ill let you do the searching

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
We were 25th in the league when I wrote this
I said we might win the cup in 2017 after the 6th games vs Pittsburgh also if you want to go back and say I was wrong
Can't remember in 2007 though so Ill let you do the searching
25th is not bottom feeder if the difference between 25th and 19th is just 2 points.

Reactions: Samsquanch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad