The Fall of Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
People always say this, but I feel this shows a lack of understanding of the reality of the cap world.

The fact is, with the cap, if you want high end talent-i.e what's needed to win cups-you are inevitably going to have to sacrifice a bit of depth.
No. You draft well and use entry level/rfa cost controlled players for depth. You make good free agent signings and trades for depth. How many times have I heard 3rd/4th line, 3rd pair defence are easily available around here? Apparently they are not because we dont have 'em.

Reactions: Cosmix and Xspyrit

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
People always say this, but I feel this shows a lack of understanding of the reality of the cap world.

The fact is, with the cap, if you want high end talent-i.e what's needed to win cups-you are inevitably going to have to sacrifice a bit of depth.

That’s interesting, I see these comments and think they show a lack of knowledge of the history of successful teams in the NHL.

Look at the last 5 cup winners and show me which one lacked depth. Most of them were adding depth at the deadline.

They found ways to work around the cap. ultimately, to win you need top end talent and depth.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You guys want to know the difference between Gorton and Dorion (well outside of the Zibanejad trade lol)?

Dorion gives up a 2nd round pick for 6.5 AAV Derek Stepan

Gorton gets a 1st round pick for 6.375 AAV Sean Monahan

Oh yeah and Monahan was younger and more likely to rebound to being much better, which he is so Montreal will get even more assets from this.

But yeah, we are not stuck in our rebuild because of management. Buffalo 11 years without making the playoffs, it was never management's fault as well

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
What? I used Jarventie as an example. Go and look at the last 6 years of drafting and trades.

Bileur is right. Every team gets injuries to key players, if having Motte and JBD out as well tanks a season, then that is a depth problem.
Depth would be having Connor Brown here. They knew about Formenton, don't sign Motte and play Gambrell. It would be having Zub and Demelo.

There is no narrative. It's called The History Of GM Pierre Dorion.
Well, there are/were better players than Motte and JBD out, if those are your key injuries, not sure what to tell you.
Conner Brown was moved , because he wanted to go to free agency, if you didn’t like the second that’s fine, but Brown wanted to move on.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You guys want to know the difference between Gorton and Dorion (well outside of the Zibanejad trade lol)?

Oh yeah and Monahan was younger and more likely to rebound to being much better, which he is so Montreal will get even more assets from this.

But yeah, we are not stuck in our rebuild because of management. Buffalo 11 years without making the playoffs, it was never management's fault as well
Those were good trades by Gordon for sure, but then he had some duds like all GMs, couple of examples.

Eric Staal for a pair of 2nd round picks and Aleksi Saarala

Ryan McDonagh and JT Miller for Namestnikov, Howden, Hajek, a 1st, and a 2nd

Edit: for some reason can’t remove the bold font.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Those were good trades by Gordon for sure, but then he had some duds like all GMs, couple of examples.

Eric Staal for a pair of 2nd round picks and Aleksi Saarala

Ryan McDonagh and JT Miller for Namestnikov, Howden, Hajek, a 1st, and a 2nd

ok but we're looking at a Dorion's POV here. I don't care what other GMs have done when trying to compete.

Rebuilding for the GM is the easiest job, it's actually hard to make mistakes...

Yet Dorion has done a crazy long list of blunders

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
ok but we're looking at a Dorion's POV here. I don't care what other GMs have done when trying to compete.

Rebuilding for the GM is the easiest job, it's actually hard to make mistakes...

Give it a few more years, it will all become clear
That’s fine, I was just responding to your Gorton trade, you listed.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
That’s interesting, I see these comments and think they show a lack of knowledge of the history of successful teams in the NHL.

Look at the last 5 cup winners and show me which one lacked depth. Most of them were adding depth at the deadline.

They found ways to work around the cap. ultimately, to win you need top end talent and depth.
I'm not saying depth isn't important, it's that with the cap, it's hard to have the depth to make up for a lot of injuries.

Any of the past few cup winners would have worse looking depth with their 2C missing: Pittsburgh would have Bonino as their 2C instead, Washington would have Eller as their 2C instead etc.

I mean hell, look at Colorado now: The cap forced them to reduce their depth, and injuries are damaging them.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005

Yes, give it a few more years, it will all be clear.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You’re right, the Duchene and Zibanejad deals were one year apart. They were also
both awful trades. I don’t know how you can conclude that “at this stage the only real criticism of Dorion is the Stone situation” when he traded away a guy like Zib who went on to become a legit #1 Center for a declining asset. If you take out two of every GM’s three worst trades they’ll all look a lot better.

Agreed on Karlsson. There was definitely luck involved but can’t complain about the outcome.

Hoffman’s value was definitely tainted. I have difficulty believing that situation couldn’t have been handled better. Apparently the problems between the ladies started in November 2017. You would think the team could have done due diligence and figured out the source of this beef between two stars and addressed it immediately before the deadline. If random player wives on other teams were aware it’s ridiculous our management wasn’t.

Even if they couldn’t have handled that situation differently to avoid the tainted value, the Sharks got better value for a tainted Hoffman than the Sens did just a few hours after acquiring him while the cash strapped Sens added useless Boedker salary.

Agree on Pageau. I thought PD played his hand pretty much perfectly on that one.

Not taking on bad contracts was a major hindrance to PD, he had one hand tied behind his back for sure. Imagine if they could have added Marleau+1st to the Brown/Zaitsev deal and had Jarvis, Guhle or Schneider on the roster right now? Missed opportunities outside PD’s control. Even the Zaitsev anchor would look better now had that happened.

Citing lack of depth is not nonsense when :
1) they had Paul, moved him for a worse player and then proceeded to give that player a similar contract to the one they wouldn’t give Paul.
2) had C. Brown and traded him for a 2nd. This was imprudent as was noted at the time.

The team would look very different with one or both of them still around.

I agree a comparison to Buffalo isn’t really fair when they’ve been rebuilding for much longer and have won the lottery several times. The same does not apply to Montreal though.

The biggest indictment of Dorion in my view has to be his inability to identify and acquire top 4 defensemen. This team has needed to add at least one (if not more) top 4 guy every year since 2017-2018 and has not been able to ice a D core with 4 legit top 4 guys at once in that time. It is certainly difficult to do under the salary constraints he was working with, but he’s also had a very long runway to make it happen and has spent the money he did have on the wrong guys.

Sure, but some posters have been excusing the start because of the Norris and Zub injuries. One or two injuries shouldn’t be enough to derail a team.
Not enough time on my hands to debate i am on my way out momentarily thats a well thought out reply. Kudos

Reactions: Bileur

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

Dorion should have been fired the moment he took that Stepan deal to ownership. Total incompetence.

He is now the single biggest impediment to this team competing again.

Reactions: Cosmix and Xspyrit

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Dorion should have been fired the moment he took that Stepan deal to ownership. Total incompetence.

...but that's the exact sort of deal ownership would love. 6.5M against the cap but only owed 2M cash. A Melnyk special.

Reactions: Bileur

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I believe all these things can be and are true about Dorion. Too many lines in the sand at times.

-He's built a nice, young core

-That core is locked up long term to theoretically very solid deals should they have success

-He faced an unprecedented situation of rebuilding during an unnatural time likely mostly financially driven by Melnyk

-He's had 6 non playoff finishes after this year

-He's made numerous blunders along the way both before and after the rebuild that have limited success

-The organization lacks depth

-Superstars he's traded away play for and are still having success on other teams

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Well, there are/were better players than Motte and JBD out, if those are your key injuries, not sure what to tell you.
Conner Brown was moved , because he wanted to go to free agency, if you didn’t like the second that’s fine, but Brown wanted to move on.
Norris and Zub. Those are the long term injuries. Chabot and Stu for a few games. 6 players you said. Who are they that our team crumbles? Who cares what Brown wants to do in FA?. He has 1 year left. Trade him at the dead line then or let him walk after the season. It buys whatever we have in the pipeline time to develop or flop and stabalizes the nhl team for this year. I never said a thing about a second. Tell me who these 6 players are please. For Christmas.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You’re right, the Duchene and Zibanejad deals were one year apart. They were also
both awful trades. I don’t know how you can conclude that “at this stage the only real criticism of Dorion is the Stone situation” when he traded away a guy like Zib who went on to become a legit #1 Center for a declining asset. If you take out two of every GM’s three worst trades they’ll all look a lot better.

Agreed on Karlsson. There was definitely luck involved but can’t complain about the outcome.

Hoffman’s value was definitely tainted. I have difficulty believing that situation couldn’t have been handled better. Apparently the problems between the ladies started in November 2017. You would think the team could have done due diligence and figured out the source of this beef between two stars and addressed it immediately before the deadline. If random player wives on other teams were aware it’s ridiculous our management wasn’t.

Even if they couldn’t have handled that situation differently to avoid the tainted value, the Sharks got better value for a tainted Hoffman than the Sens did just a few hours after acquiring him while the cash strapped Sens added useless Boedker salary.

Agree on Pageau. I thought PD played his hand pretty much perfectly on that one.

Not taking on bad contracts was a major hindrance to PD, he had one hand tied behind his back for sure. Imagine if they could have added Marleau+1st to the Brown/Zaitsev deal and had Jarvis, Guhle or Schneider on the roster right now? Missed opportunities outside PD’s control. Even the Zaitsev anchor would look better now had that happened.

Citing lack of depth is not nonsense when :
1) they had Paul, moved him for a worse player and then proceeded to give that player a similar contract to the one they wouldn’t give Paul.
2) had C. Brown and traded him for a 2nd. This was imprudent as was noted at the time.

The team would look very different with one or both of them still around.

I agree a comparison to Buffalo isn’t really fair when they’ve been rebuilding for much longer and have won the lottery several times. The same does not apply to Montreal though.

The biggest indictment of Dorion in my view has to be his inability to identify and acquire top 4 defensemen. This team has needed to add at least one (if not more) top 4 guy every year since 2017-2018 and has not been able to ice a D core with 4 legit top 4 guys at once in that time. It is certainly difficult to do under the salary constraints he was working with, but he’s also had a very long runway to make it happen and has spent the money he did have on the wrong guys.

Sure, but some posters have been excusing the start because of the Norris and Zub injuries. One or two injuries shouldn’t be enough to derail a team.
So, cycling back here with more time on my hands

Zibanejad was my favourite player. There were commitment issues with him though. Tons of potential and I think the trade kicked his ass into gear. No doubt we lost that trade. But I find it's hard to judge situations that I think Melnyk had a financial hand in. The other part of that trade is Brassard declined quickly.

On the Karlsson trade no doubt that was a homerun. But look at the expectations that existed on this board versus the reality of offers. I think it's fair to say that expectations on returns were much higher than league reality. GMs weren't lining up to handover their best.

On the Hoffman trade they wanted to move him out of conference. I think it was a learning experience for Dorion when he was immediately traded back to our division.

Paul. You said they gave Joseph a contract that they wouldn't give Paul. I disagree with that because there's scant evidence that Paul would sign here for what Joseph signed for. Look at the Paul deal? I wouldn't want that contract on the books. I also think we're getting less value from Joseph because he's played the year with an inadequate 3C.

Brown. The Brown trade was a bit of a paradox for me, highlighting the split personalities on the board. I think there's a number of examples of Dorion doing right by a player. Chaplik is one. We let him walk for his personal benefit when we could have kept him stuck in Belleville and called up to contribute from time to time. I think Brown is a similar case. He earned a top 6 contract but I don't think the team intended to give him one. So what do you do? They traded his rights. Definitely we'd be better if we kept him but he wasn't going to sign for 3rd line money here. He'd be helping this year if he wasn't injured but what message would it send if he was moved at the deadline? What uproar would it have caused here if he wasn't moved at the deadline and allowed to walk for nothing? I think moving him was done to give him a chance at his top 6 contract and I think players by and large respect GMs that do right by players.

How many teams have 4 legit top 4 D men? It's hard to acquire them. Occasionally a team acquires a guy that blossoms in to that but there's not a lot of moving legit top 4 guys going on and it costs a fortune when it happens. Look at Chychrun.

That brings me to Stone. That wasn't handled well and I suspect Stone was also not fully forthcoming in the process either. I tie the top 4 D thing into Brannstrom not blossoming as quickly as hoped too. I think all the way along they expected Brannstrom to blossom faster than he has, thereby saving the assets they would have given up to acquire a top 4 D.

At the end of the day, I think a lot of what's transpired over the past 5 years has been financially motivated. And it's hard to evaluate a trade library when one side has less cards to play

Something Dorion has achieved is getting a core to sign at reasonable numbers for long term. Wind the clock back a few years and there was an expectation here that none of these players would sign. That they'd all bridge their way out of town asap. Now we're seeing comments along the lines of "ya but those players had no choice"

Norris was imo the worst single injury we could have had. He was the one guy that was an experienced top 6 C. Losing him impacted the entire season. Brassard can play spot duty here and there. Giroux can take faceoffs but can't skate well enough anymore to play C. It left us without any C depth. Hopefully he is back and healthy and we post a 50+ point 2nd half.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Norris injury for sure hurt more than i expected.

I still remember a couple years before Karlsson left, talking with friends where we all figured there is no way that Melnyk was going to sign him for 8 yrs $90mil that he would get. I also think that Melnyk had a financial hand in forcing all the decisions on Dorion. All long term contracts were to be traded for ones that expired the year of Eks trade at which time multiple years of cap floor spending would ensue.

Maybe they made a hockey decision but they didnt act like it if they did. Seemed more a non hockey decision to me.

Melnyk wanted to lie about that to trick fans into buying tickets as long as possible. I remember how long after all the trades it took for Dorion to actually even admit they were rebuilding. But Dorion got that unexpected early contract from Melnyk in order to do things that would make him look like Milbury to Wang. And then he gets 3 years to show what he can do from scratch to try and restore his rep.

That decision by Melnyk, to trick fans, is what I think cost Dorion so much in trade values. Had the decision been to be honest, to admit we were going to tear down and rebuild as the tough but necessary best way to achieve success, and then done everything to maximize trade values rather than tricking fans into buying tickets using the old Iraqi propaganda ministry tactic, i think is a lesson to be learned by any future owner. Some fans would have still been mad, but the majority would have at least had something that makes sense to keep buying into making for less of a revenue loss im sure

Reactions: JD1

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Nothing brings the fanbase together for the holidays quite like taking about the rebuild.

Reactions: JD1

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Norris injury for sure hurt more than i expected.

I still remember a couple years before Karlsson left, talking with friends where we all figured there is no way that Melnyk was going to sign him for 8 yrs $90mil that he would get. I also think that Melnyk had a financial hand in forcing all the decisions on Dorion. All long term contracts were to be traded for ones that expired the year of Eks trade at which time multiple years of cap floor spending would ensue.

Maybe they made a hockey decision but they didnt act like it if they did. Seemed more a non hockey decision to me.

Melnyk wanted to lie about that to trick fans into buying tickets as long as possible. I remember how long after all the trades it took for Dorion to actually even admit they were rebuilding. But Dorion got that unexpected early contract from Melnyk in order to do things that would make him look like Milbury to Wang. And then he gets 3 years to show what he can do from scratch to try and restore his rep.

That decision by Melnyk, to trick fans, is what I think cost Dorion so much in trade values. Had the decision been to be honest, to admit we were going to tear down and rebuild as the tough but necessary best way to achieve success, and then done everything to maximize trade values rather than tricking fans into buying tickets using the old Iraqi propaganda ministry tactic, i think is a lesson to be learned by any future owner. Some fans would have still been mad, but the majority would have at least had something that makes sense to keep buying into making for less of a revenue loss im sure
treating fans as idiots is not knew. Everyone does it. The "treat them like mushrooms (Keep them in the dark and feed them shit)" is not knew.

Politicians do it, businesses do it and mostly sports teams do it. Spin to get consumption is Marketing 101.

Most fans are not like the 100 or so of us on here. Most cannot begin to real off the names of more than 5-10 players on this team and would be hard pressed to name the 3rd and 4th liners or the 5-7 dmen. And most fans could not begin to tell you anything about the Belleville Sens. So, you spin to get consumption. Most fans rely on the media and are only superficially invested.

It is easy to get a distorted sense of the world when you base it upon your immediate environment. There was a time I could ring off details about the EPL, Serie A, La liga, Ligue 1, the Bundesliga that would fill an encyclopedia. Similarly for the UCI world tour... Guess what, hardly anyone else could tell me what the acronym EPL stood for. And so I would find myself in certain circles talking away, only to get the blank stare back. And these were recreational soccer players!!!

much of this world relies on "skin deep".

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
treating fans as idiots is not knew. Everyone does it. The "treat them like mushrooms (Keep them in the dark and feed them shit)" is not knew.

Politicians do it, businesses do it and mostly sports teams do it. Spin to get consumption is Marketing 101.

Most fans are not like the 100 or so of us on here. Most cannot begin to real off the names of more than 5-10 players on this team and would be hard pressed to name the 3rd and 4th liners or the 5-7 dmen. And most fans could not begin to tell you anything about the Belleville Sens. So, you spin to get consumption. Most fans rely on the media and are only superficially invested.

It is easy to get a distorted sense of the world when you base it upon your immediate environment. There was a time I could ring off details about the EPL, Serie A, La liga, Ligue 1, the Bundesliga that would fill an encyclopedia. Similarly for the UCI world tour... Guess what, hardly anyone else could tell me what the acronym EPL stood for. And so I would find myself in certain circles talking away, only to get the blank stare back. And these were recreational soccer players!!!

much of this world relies on "skin deep".
Who are our 5-7 defence?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What? I used Jarventie as an example. Go and look at the last 6 years of drafting and trades.

Bileur is right. Every team gets injuries to key players, if having Motte and JBD out as well tanks a season, then that is a depth problem.
Depth would be having Connor Brown here. They knew about Formenton, don't sign Motte and play Gambrell. It would be having Zub and Demelo.

There is no narrative. It's called The History Of GM Pierre Dorion.

Remember last year when Clark Bishop was out and the GM and coach kept mentioning him as a massive depth lose.

Ottawa has a depth problem, and a management and coaching problem. The team has bad depth and an excuse machine for a GM and coach.

Reactions: Loach and ksens

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don’t think we’re treated like idiots, I think some fans just expect more access and information as a reflection of the time and effort that they put into the sport of their own volition. I think much of what is often expected in here would actually be considered pretty private information in most circles.
You don’t need in depth knowledge of sports, it’s not required to serve its actual purpose, which is entertainment, and separating you from some of your hard earned money of course.

I would argue that we super fan types have actually increased the escapism over the average fan, who like being entertained for a few hours on game day and then moves on back to their lives. There is a lot more financial, time, and emotional investment that goes on in here for sure.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

But apparently it's more that he was pissed that Nick Paul got traded. The mistake Dorion made was not to extend Paul. Could have kept Brown and maybe he would have taken a friendly deal around 4.0 or something. It's like Dorion and DJ don't understand or put enough consideration into the defensive side of the game. It's a lot more complicated than "100% effort" and special units.

Having Paul and Brown would have helped us to survive Norris injury and Formenton MIA much better. They would also have converted a few of those 1 goal losses into OT/shootout losses or even Wins.

Yes, give it a few more years, it will all be clear.

I am sorry but you will never be able to qualify Dorion's work. First, he will be gone when the team get sold. It's now a multi-million business and results-oriented.

We had the BEST position in the whole NHL after that 2020 draft. I looked at our assets and was like "we can't fail!"... yet we did

The number of mistakes and mismanagement Dorion has done since that draft is incommensurable. We might eventually "get there" but the current core with this coaching won't.

I gave one example, but we could also look at Murray or Gostisbehere trades too (etc)

Dubas must be pretty happy to have gotten Murray at a more reasonable AAV and added 2 picks at the same time. This added to getting Samsonov secured goaltending for them. That was great GMing, focus on ability first.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
I am sorry but you will never be able to qualify Dorion's work. First, he will be gone when the team get sold. It's now a multi-million business and results-oriented.

We had the BEST position in the whole NHL after that 2020 draft. I looked at our assets and was like "we can't fail!"... yet we did

The number of mistakes and mismanagement Dorion has done since that draft is incommensurable. We might eventually "get there" but the current core with this coaching won't.
The f*** are you on? 2020 was just two years ago. Look at our 3 picks from the 2020 draft. One is just starting to blossom into a #1C role, the other is still a rookie (and calder candidate), and the other is still not in the NHL.

A this point, it's looking like we may very well have the 2 best players from that draft, and the third one is in the top 10. That's insanely impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad