The Fall of Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Naw, you sign DBC and run with JBD for a season if needs be. The cap space will be there the following year to add a #4 defender if we for some reason are feeling too squeezed.

In my opinion you absolutely don’t let a young top line winger go so that you can sign a complimentary second pairing RD and a lesser winger.

The opportunity was there to nab a core player to the team so we took it, I want the team to do that every time. Most core guys are locked up long term, so as the cap jumps we’ll have more and more space to sign new players, especially with dead cap space and Z off the books.

Be patient, sign and keep the good players.

Reactions: Samsquanch

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Naw, you sign DBC and run with JBD for a season if needs be. The cap space will be there the following year to add a #4 defender if we for some reason are feeling too squeezed.

In my opinion you absolutely don’t let a young top line winger go so that you can sign a complimentary second pairing RD and a lesser winger.

The opportunity was there to nab a core player to the team so we took it, I want the team to do that every time. Most core guys are locked up long term, so as the cap jumps we’ll have more and more space to sign new players, especially with dead cap space and Z off the books.

JBD hasn't even proven to be a consistent NHLer yet, let alone being ready for a top 4 role beside Chabot/Sanderson. Same goes for Thomson.

Barring significant develop from those two in the second half of the season, what you are suggesting would actually lead to the team being worse defensively and in goal to keep our stacked top 6. Not sure that's the best course of action for this team.

Also Zaitsev will need to be moved, or at bare minimum bought out, if we're to remain under the cap ceiling after signing our RFAs and filling out the roster. And after next season all the space opening up from the cap increasing and our buyouts expiring will go to Sanderson, so there's not going to be room to spend money on a top 4 D after next season either.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
By the time you re-sign DBC there is only one year left on Giroux contract and then you have to find a ppg ish 1RW to replace him
Don't know when you forecast to contend but the FYOUS might be over by then lol

Reactions: bert

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think they'll move Chabot, replace him with a 5 aav left D and have an extra 3M available

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
JBD hasn't even proven to be a consistent NHLer yet, let alone being ready for a top 4 role beside Chabot/Sanderson. Same goes for Thomson.

Barring significant develop from those two in the second half of the season, what you are suggesting would actually lead to the team being worse defensively and in goal to keep our stacked top 6. Not sure that's the best course of action for this team.

Also Zaitsev will need to be moved, or at bare minimum bought out, if we're to remain under the cap ceiling after signing our RFAs and filling out the roster. And after next season all the space opening up from the cap increasing and our buyouts expiring will go to Sanderson, so there's not going to be room to spend money on a top 4 D after next season either.
That’s cool, I don’t think we need to spend big on a #4 D though, in fact I think that would be a waste.

All we need is a physical and competent defender to play with Sanderson, and as we have seen, that player costs less than 5 mill thankfully.

We’ll see how she shakes, and who needs to move and what the cap is two years from now, but one thing is for sure in my opinion: we won’t get a RD of DBC’s equivalent age and caliber in a trade, and I fully disagree with the idea of quantity over quality.

I’d rather roll with JBD for the balance of the year and see where he is, and sign DBC if and when he is ready to join the core.

I thought all of our problems were related to the coach, so I’m not sure why signing the stars we have and filling the #4 spot on the roster with an appropriate player doesn’t fit the bill give that we’re about to hire a better GM and better coach.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
By the time you re-sign DBC there is only one year left on Giroux contract and then you have to find a ppg ish 1RW to replace him
Don't know when you forecast to contend but the FYOUS might be over by then lol
Lmao, our window is not closing when Stutzle and Sanderson are 23 years old.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
With Zub re-signing, I am a lot more optimistic about the width (length?) of our window of contention. What do we look like next year, assuming we keep DBC and remain stuck with Zaitsev?

Chuck - Norris - Bath
DBC - Stu - Giroux
Crookshank?/Greig? - Pinto - Joseph
Kelly - Kastelic - Sokolov?

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - JBD?
Brannstrom - Zaitsev
Lassi?

Forsberg
Sogaard?

Still a few holes where I put the question marks, with the hope that the players I put there can actually be the answer to the question for cheap.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think they'll move Chabot, replace him with a 5 aav left D and have an extra 3M available
What? He's played unbelievable since getting back. Clearly was fighting an injury. He's a bargain at 8 million when he eats minutes and carries a pairing with a non NHLer on it effectively. Trading elite players isn't how you get better. Cutting dead weight is. Like Zaitsev, Joseph etc. Easily replaceable by players on ELC contracts.

I am looking forward to seeing this team with all 3 of its top d men playing at the top of their games. Hasn't happened yet this season.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What? He's played unbelievable since getting back. Clearly was fighting an injury. He's a bargain at 8 million when he eats minutes and carries a pairing with a non NHLer on it effectively. Trading elite players isn't how you get better. Cutting dead weight is. Like Zaitsev, Joseph etc. Easily replaceable by players on ELC contracts.

I am looking forward to seeing this team with all 3 of its top d men playing at the top of their games. Hasn't happened yet this season.

Replace Zaitsev with Demelo and Joseph with Paul and you can never advance your program by submarining your own talent with lesser talent at a higher cap hit

If Dorion kept Demelo and Paul he’d be spending less then he is on Zaistev/Joseph and the team would be better.

We suck because Dorion and DJ have made many many bad decisions Over the last 4 years.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020

his contract is going to age really well too if salaries rise like theyre expected to.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
It’s weird to see so many people pencil Zub in next to Chabot.

Him and Sanderson will be the shut down pair for the time of our contention.

Chabot, like many other elite level defensemen, excel with obscure defensemen that are easier to find than Zub. Think DeMelo.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Chabot, like many other elite level defensemen, excel with obscure defensemen that are easier to find than Zub. Think DeMelo.

You could argue besides Zub, that Demelo the only legit 82 game NHL Dman Chabot has played with in Ottawa (besides the few minutes he played with EK)

Criminal they haven’t found Chabot a partner yet.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

I don't know about JBD playing further up in the lineup. We will get a chance to see more of him once he returns from injury (assumes he sticks with the big club). Maybe its better to use JBD on the 3rd pair next year (and this year) until he gains more experience.

Even with Zub signed, the Senators could use another good RD to play in the top 4. Otherwise, it's pretty much a case of running with the same blueline and same issues as before.

Of course, if they resign Debrincat, money could be a little tight. Debrincat has been good, but if you want to be picky, it would be better to have more 5v5 production from him. A lot of his goals have been scored on the PP. It would be nice of course to have the additional RD plus resign Debrincat. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Agreed. Need to find partners that compliment their partners (Chabot & Sanderson). They don't have to be studs necessarily, but rather, just play well together as a tandem.

Reactions: Tuna99

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Generally speaking I'd agree with you

But cap mgmt is a game of sacrifice. What happens if by year's end the team feels that Sanderson will be the better player and they want to keep DeBrincat? Sanderson will mature in to taking the harder minutes.

I'm not saying we should move Chabot, I just won't be surprised if he is a cap mgmt casualty and we look for a 5aav LD as a 2nd pair player and we have an extra 3 in cap space

Chabot has been great since he returned from injury but he sucked before the concussion. Idk, I just won't be surprised if it happens

ksens

Mar 8, 2006
Rebuilding for 5 years, still need depth players and a 2 pair rd (although there may be depth ready in 2 years, which seems too long considering), cap issues have started and in 25th place overall.

New owners and a new arena coming.

That's where we're at?

That's where we are at. And despite people fellating Pierre for signing Zub (isn't it a basic part of your job to sign players before they hit free agency?) it is why he'll be unemployed pretty soon.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
That's where we are at. And despite people fellating Pierre for signing Zub (isn't it a basic part of your job to sign players before they hit free agency?) it is why he'll be unemployed pretty soon.
So because he did his job, he’ll be unemployed?

You could argue besides Zub, that Demelo the only legit 82 game NHL Dman Chabot has played with in Ottawa (besides the few minutes he played with EK)

Criminal they haven’t found Chabot a partner yet.
They did he’s injured

ksens

Mar 8, 2006
So because he did his job, he’ll be unemployed?

He'll be unemployed because the sum total of his rebuild is not capable of contending, is in the basement of the division, and was out of contention by US Thanksgiving again for the 5th year in a row.

Reactions: Tuna99

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He'll be unemployed because the sum total of his rebuild is not capable of contending, is in the basement of the division, and was out of contention by US Thanksgiving again for the 5th year in a row.
That’s not what you said though

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Rebuilding for 5 years, still need depth players and a 2 pair rd (although there may be depth ready in 2 years, which seems too long considering), cap issues have started and in 25th place overall.

New owners and a new arena coming.

That's where we're at?

We should be overflowing with young talent but Dorion didn't manage his assets correctly during the rebuild.

So many bad trades, wasted picks and missed opportunities to utilize our cap space to get picks via taking on bad contracts ala Arizona.

I was thinking that if we re-sign ADB we need to trade Joseph and replace him internally to save around 2M, but then who replaces him at RW?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Generally speaking I'd agree with you

But cap mgmt is a game of sacrifice. What happens if by year's end the team feels that Sanderson will be the better player and they want to keep DeBrincat? Sanderson will mature in to taking the harder minutes.

I'm not saying we should move Chabot, I just won't be surprised if he is a cap mgmt casualty and we look for a 5aav LD as a 2nd pair player and we have an extra 3 in cap space

Chabot has been great since he returned from injury but he sucked before the concussion. Idk, I just won't be surprised if it happens

If the choice you're making is between Debrincat and Chabot you keep Chabot it's a very easy decision.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Debrincat is young enough to where I wouldn't be opposed to signing him long term. You don't sign the guys who are 28-30 to 6 to 8 year contracts and usually those happen because the player has performed well for the team and the team wants to "repay" the favor for all those years. Bad idea if the AAV is high.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
We should be overflowing with young talent but Dorion didn't manage his assets correctly during the rebuild.

So many bad trades, wasted picks and missed opportunities to utilize our cap space to get picks via taking on bad contracts ala Arizona.

I was thinking that if we re-sign ADB we need to trade Joseph and replace him internally to save around 2M, but then who replaces him at RW?
After Murray gutted the amazing depth this team had (Vermette, Kelly, Fisher, Meszaros, Bishop) etc the depth on this team has been its major wekesness. For every Stone and EL we had we didn’t even have legit players for them to play with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad