The Fall of Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Best chance for Trotz would be rich new owner, Trotz as coach / GM dual role, with 2 strong AGMs that do all the legwork. And they'd have to pay big bucks. I say go for it! Who else is out there right now? Trotz has never been a GM, I'd still give it a shot due to his success as a coach.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
No, he did not make this crystal "freaking" clear. That's a lie that went viral.

“It was just a comment that I made that went quite viral I think. It wasn’t directed at one organization or another. Those are just cool things when you go through your career.”

There its only 1 team in Canada that meets the 2 criteria of "Original Six" and "SC Contender" at this time: TML. :)

If the salary was sufficient, I think Trotz would come to Ottawa to be coach and/or GM. The use of "assistants" could make it doable.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Norris going down changed everything for this team imo. I feel like that's hugley overlooked most of the time.

I feel bad for Dorion and DJ becuase they both likely lose their jobs because of it. The team is structured so much differently with Norris to match up against the other #1 lines. Its honestly night and day for our overall team depth imo when Stu and Pinto get the #2 & #3 assignments.

The fact that the Sens underlying stats are still so great without him tells me that this team are one great defensive top 6 centerman away from having 3 or 4 more wins this season. And yeah Zub being out hurts bad too.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Small correction, PD, talked Murray into taking Karlsson, that is well documented.

PD was/is a great amateur scout IMO

The GM's role is to hire the right people at the right jobs. The GM also always have the last word, he makes the final decision. In real life, not many work alone and certainly in a business like this. For example, Dorion could have said no to draft Tyler Boucher 10th OA. He should have exploited Rangers desire to have him.

Anders Forsberg I believe was the one who convinced the team to take Karlsson, but the reality is he convinced Dorion (perhaps had to convince Burda first, I think he was head of European scouting at the time) who then backed him up and they convinced Murray,

Either way, Dorion would have been part of it, but if you want to give credit to the scouts over the GM then you probably need to be consistent and give Mann credit for Pinto instead of Dorion, reality is these decisions are made as a group in the meetings, so theres lots of people to share credit (and blame) if Dorion gets credit for Karlsson, then maybe he gets blame for Cowen, Lee, Ceci ect.

100%. Only nitpick is that Dorion was hired for the 2007-08 season, so couldn't have been involved for Lee.

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016
Can you imagine what a difference just having Connor Brown would make on our injury riddled roster. Not to mention if we were healthy he makes your bottom 6 lethal. That dude was a work horse for us during the shitty years. Is it so wrong for us to be loyal to anyone. DeMelo and Paul should be here for the same reason btw.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Marc Bergevin is an interesting name - he was GM for most of the time Andluer was part owner of the Habs, he’s Franco-Ontario, he is also probably familiar to Ryan Reynolds now that he works in L.A. and has lots of experience and confidence which this team needs. Understand Canadian markets and all that.
Please God no. Alfie likely hires the GM don't see this one happening.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Can you imagine what a difference just having Connor Brown would make on our injury riddled roster. Not to mention if we were healthy he makes your bottom 6 lethal. That dude was a work horse for us during the shitty years. Is it so wrong for us to be loyal to anyone. DeMelo and Paul should be here for the same reason btw.

While Brown and Paul would certainly help the roster, let's be real - they're not making up for losing Norris and Stützle for weeks at the same time. Even if they were here, we'd be sunk. We sucked when they were top 6 players on this team, if you remember. If we had Paul and Brown with Norris and Stützle... that'd be something.

Hopefully it's not major for Stützle.

Reactions: SweSensFan

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Please God no. Alfie likely hires the GM don't see this one happening.

The dude who’s buying the team owns 20% of the Habs so I think he’ll do the hiring like Molson did when he bought Montreal

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Bobby and Big Rig talking about how unreal Pauly is on Coming in Hot. Bobby "There was no reason to lose him at that price. His contract is a steal."

I would hardly call it a steal at his age with that term. I love Paul but that contract is a gamble - it's paid off beautifully in year one - but there's still lots of time to go.

Again I like Paul but it also seemed like the right time to part ways. Formenton was still a part of the equation then. Take him out and we have an entirely different conversation on our hands imo. That's where his dollars should be going.

Otherwise I like Brady, Stutzle, Norris, and Debrincat on my top 6 LW/C spots, and I prefer Pinto to Paul over the next 7 years too. And if Formenton is innocent, I'd prefer him over Paul next season as well.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think the team has demonstrated a lot more loyalty to players than many other teams, including to Brown.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Just a little blurb on the Jets managing to trade for D.. while remaining in the hunt.
starts 12:07

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Getting a rich and stable majority owner, Ryan Reynolds and a Wrexham style mainstream show, Alfie, Spezza, and basically the best GM money can buy in the offseason (whoever we decide it is), would be the biggest win in Senators history before we even started free agency.

I do feel bad for Dorion a bit because other making the playoffs there is just no possible way he and DJ are gonna survive this storm and wave of change that will sweep through the franchise. Maybe that might not even be enough. Change just makes too much sense from every angle you can think of. So he knows he's a Deadman walking if I had a guess, as does DJ.
If Dorion and DJ had a winning record, they might survive an ownership change. Since they don’t, it’s obvious what needs to be done.

Except that he said he wants to be a GM. He then said later he'd be open to coach, but I think his 1st statement was his preference.

There's so many highlights from him. LOL.
Glad to hear that Trotz wants to be a GM. We need one asap. If he also wants to coach too for a year or so, then so be it!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I call the Zub signing another homer for Dorion. Excellent cap hit and term.
Dorion is having quite the yr, he is up after the summer signings, then down after the poor start, then up again as the team starts to turn it around. Then down again after a few more losses & the playoffs hanging by a thread & up again after the Zub signing. He's been up & down like an elevator this yr. :laugh:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

In summary, we'll be hitting the cap (likely slightly over it) after re-signing our RFAs.

Even after dumping Zaitsev we'll have just enough to fill out a 23 man roster with cheap depth players.

That means no significant D acquisition, going with Forsberg as the starter with a cheap backup behind him, and no Formenton coming back.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
In summary, we'll be hitting the cap (likely slightly over it) after re-signing our RFAs.

Even after dumping Zaitsev we'll have just enough to fill out a 23 man roster with cheap depth players.

That means no significant D acquisition, going with Forsberg as the starter with a cheap backup behind him, and no Formenton coming back.
Debrincat decision will be interesting. Even at 7 AAV that would leave under 10m say 14 if they dump Zaitsev without any salary coming back to sign 11-12 players towards a 22-23 man roster. Pinto is going to take a piece of that. Joseph becomes expensive.. And if Formenton is completely exonerated he's very unlikely like you say unless they can talk him into a very cheap 1 year deal.
Pretty top heavy zero scoring depth. Who'd a thunk it.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Debrincat decision will be interesting. Even at 7 AAV that would leave under 10m say 14 if they dump Zaitsev without any salary coming back to sign 11-12 players towards a 22-23 man roster. Pinto is going to take a piece of that. Joseph becomes expensive.. And if Formenton is completely exonerated he's very unlikely like you say unless they can talk him into a very cheap 1 year deal.
Pretty top heavy zero scoring depth. Who'd a thunk it.

Count me as someone who would prefer we take DeBrincat's 8-9M and split it up between a decent 2nd line forward, solid 2nd pairing RD and a 1B goalie.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Sounds good in theory but will we find the right pieces?

2nd line winger won't be hard to find. LW is the easiest position to find in hockey in fact.

1B goalie is more difficult but not impossible. Could just re-sign Talbot if he's willing to stay.

2nd pairing RD is almost impossible to find. Would likely have to overpay to find one.

SweSensFan

Feb 15, 2019
2nd line winger won't be hard to find. LW is the easiest position to find in hockey in fact.

1B goalie is more difficult but not impossible. Could just re-sign Talbot if he's willing to stay.

2nd pairing RD is almost impossible to find. Would likely have to overpay to find one.
Sounds like a fair assesment and without a solid top 4d in the equation I would lean towards keeping the cat after all..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad