The Fall of Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
LOOOOOL! Please not Bergevin, holy shit!

IMO, the perfect scenario would be for new ownership to force hiring Trotz as coach in January (which lines up with Trotz wanting to start coaching in January) when we get new ownership. We all know how Dorion likes to rely on his coach for feedback and potential moves. This would set Trotz up to eventually transition into that GM role that we wants in 2-3 seasons. At that point Dorion's contract would expire, and he could either be let go, or moved into some toothless president/advisory role to keep his talents on the amateur scouting side.

Because Trotz won't want to come here if we have a fresh new GM and no avenue to transition to GM.

There is zero percent chance that Dorion remains with new ownership. But there's less than a zero percent chance that Trotz would work under Dorion and later "transition" into being GM. Dorion is not John Muckler.

If we want Trotz, he'd need full control from day one.

The ideal scenario would be bringing in Trotz as GM, and a young up-and-coming guy like Spezza as AGM. Then in 3-4 years, Trotz could move into a President role as the younger guy takes over. That's what happened with Sakic in Colorado.

Alfredsson probably ends up with a role like Luc Robitaille has in LA, where he's not fully responsible for hockey ops (so he has job security even if the team loses).

There's no ideal scenario that involves Pierre. The writing is on the wall. I know some will talk themselves into a "but what if" scenario... but no. It's just like when some people (and Bruce) speculated that maybe the Melnyk daughters would keep the team. No! That was never going to happen! Thinking that was stupid.

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
There is zero percent chance that Dorion remains with new ownership. But there's less than a zero percent chance that Trotz would work under Dorion and later "transition" into being GM. Dorion is not John Muckler.

If we want Trotz, he'd need full control from day one.

The ideal scenario would be bringing in Trotz as GM, and a young up-and-coming guy like Spezza as AGM. Then in 3-4 years, Trotz could move into a President role as the younger guy takes over. That's what happened with Sakic in Colorado.

Alfredsson probably ends up with a role like Luc Robitaille has in LA, where he's not fully responsible for hockey ops (so he has job security even if the team loses).

There's no ideal scenario that involves Pierre. The writing is on the wall. I know some will talk themselves into a "but what if" scenario... but no. It's just like when some people (and Bruce) speculated that maybe the Melnyk daughters would keep the team. No! That was never going to happen! Thinking that was stupid.
We need Trotz as a coach, not a GM

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Then he won't come here.

Trotz might coach a team that's ready to make a cup run. Maybe Edmonton or Calgary come calling if they don't put a string of wins together soon. But he's certainly not coming to coach a team that might not make the playoffs for another 2 years and has Pierre Dorion constructing the roster.

He might consider being the GM of this team, though. He'd probably make some substantial changes.

Reactions: Cosmix

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

I dunno, I would be open to the idea of it. He's put the idea out there that this is what he wants to do, and successful coaches have all of the tools to be elite GMs imo.

Being a scout or agent turned AGM is far less impressive on a resume than a SC winning HC that is wanted and respected league wide. Imo. It should trump anything else done by a lower level manager who's never even been on the ice or the bench during a NHL game before.

Surround him with a mixture of good people from inside and outside the organization to help with contracts and whatnot. and legit whoever above said hire Spezza as AGM is a genius because that guy is a hockey savant. Alfie at the very top with the ultimate power as POHO, and lots of camera time with Reynolds and ownership. And we have a dream team with pedigree just like that.

What other big names for GMs are actually even out there anyway? None that I can really think of that I would want. Trotz is the next guy in line for the right team imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
I dunno, I would be open to the idea of it. He's put the idea out there that this is what he wants to do, and successful coaches have all of the tools to be elite GMs imo.

Being a scout or agent turned AGM is far less impressive on a resume than a SC winning HC that is wanted and respected league wide. Imo.

Surround him with a mixture of good people from inside and outside the organization to help with contracts and whatnot. and legit whoever above said hire Spezza as AGM is a genius because that guy is a hockey savant. Alfie at the very top with the ultimate power as POHO, and lots of camera time with Reynolds and ownership. And we have a dream team with pedigree just like that.

What other big names for GMs are actually even out there anyway? None that I can really think of that I would want. Trotz is the next guy in line for the right team imo.

crazy we could go from Dorion Melnyk to that.

Reactions: Samsquanch

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
crazy we could go from Dorion Melnyk to that.

Getting a rich and stable majority owner, Ryan Reynolds and a Wrexham style mainstream show, Alfie, Spezza, and basically the best GM money can buy in the offseason (whoever we decide it is), would be the biggest win in Senators history before we even started free agency.

I do feel bad for Dorion a bit because other making the playoffs there is just no possible way he and DJ are gonna survive this storm and wave of change that will sweep through the franchise. Maybe that might not even be enough. Change just makes too much sense from every angle you can think of. So he knows he's a Deadman walking if I had a guess, as does DJ.

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Then he won't come here.

Trotz might coach a team that's ready to make a cup run. Maybe Edmonton or Calgary come calling if they don't put a string of wins together soon. But he's certainly not coming to coach a team that might not make the playoffs for another 2 years and has Pierre Dorion constructing the roster.

He might consider being the GM of this team, though. He'd probably make some substantial changes.
He went to the Isles when they were in disarray and had just lost Tavares. Trotz would absolutely love to coach an up-and-coming team like the Sens. Not only that, but the roster is built like a Trotz team. Brady would probably be #1 on the list of players he would want to coach the most. It's a perfect match.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
He went to the Isles when they were in disarray and had just lost Tavares. Trotz would absolutely love to coach an up-and-coming team like the Sens. Not only that, but the roster is built like a Trotz team. Brady would probably be #1 on the list of players he would want to coach the most. It's a perfect match.

Did he not say that he wants to be a GM though? So if true, who do you think is the GM that will convince Trotz to come and work for him and there not be a bit of power struggle internally?

I just don't see Ottawa and a brand new GM - someone he's been passed over for now - being able to entice Trotz to do one last run as HC if his heart isn't fully in it. Especially with the chance there's gonna cameras distracting a younger generation of kids to deal with along with building them into a winner. That's a job for a younger, hungrier man that better understands how to coach and motivate the younger generation of players.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
LOOOOOL! Please not Bergevin, holy shit!

IMO, the perfect scenario would be for new ownership to force hiring Trotz as coach in January (which lines up with Trotz wanting to start coaching in January) when we get new ownership. We all know how Dorion likes to rely on his coach for feedback and potential moves. This would set Trotz up to eventually transition into that GM role that we wants in 2-3 seasons. At that point Dorion's contract would expire, and he could either be let go, or moved into some toothless president/advisory role to keep his talents on the amateur scouting side.
New owner will not take ownership until the sale is completed, probably a lot closer to the summer than January…. So you scenario is unrealistic.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Trotz made it crystal freaking clear a number of weeks ago, that he was only interested in coaching an “original six” team, that had the makings of a deep playoff run, and based in Canada…. That is not Ottawa

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Trotz made it crystal freaking clear a number of weeks ago, that he was only interested in coaching an “original six” team, that had the makings of a deep playoff run, and based in Canada…. That is not Ottawa
That's not what he said.....at all.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Ottawa is an original 4 team, but ya I agree with you, there won’t be any Trotz.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
New owner will not take ownership until the sale is completed, probably a lot closer to the summer than January…. So you scenario is unrealistic.

You’d think they’d want to get their hands
on the team before the All Star break to evaluate the team and then the layoffs and hiring begin the first day of the off season. Would be to the owners competative advantage to have the team before the summer, and if you’re paying a billion I’m sure the NHL could make that happen for you

Reactions: Loach

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You’d think they’d want to get their hands
on the team before the All Star break to evaluate the team and then the layoffs and hiring begin the first day of the off season. Would be to the owners competative advantage to have the team before the summer, and if you’re paying a billion I’m sure the NHL could make that happen for you
They’ve already said the closing will take months, and usually aligns with a BOG meeting.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
No, he did not make this crystal "freaking" clear. That's a lie that went viral.

“It was just a comment that I made that went quite viral I think. It wasn’t directed at one organization or another. Those are just cool things when you go through your career.”

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
No, he did not make this crystal "freaking" clear. That's a lie that went viral.

“It was just a comment that I made that went quite viral I think. It wasn’t directed at one organization or another. Those are just cool things when you go through your career.”

This is the game I've been waiting for. Swiftwin vs The Count. Can we have Sweatred ref this please? And a live thread? Lol.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
This is the game I've been waiting for. Swiftwin vs The Count. Can we have Sweatred ref this please? And a live thread? Lol.
Haven’t seen sweatred since season started, unless created a bot account.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Except that he said he wants to be a GM. He then said later he'd be open to coach, but I think his 1st statement was his preference.

Sweatred turned out to be wrong about so much that they probably don't want to come back.
There's so many highlights from him. LOL.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad