Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Goalie are just so jekyl and hyde so I can see why Boston maybe doesn't want to tie this guy up until he's 34.

At the same time though, if you want to play it safe and only give him 5 years then you are going to have to pay.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
which is why i suspect he might also be ok with a short term deal for a year or two as a prove it. This way he can cash in. Bruins would obviously not want this.

So if i were swayman i would be on with either two options. Sign 1 or 2 year deal for 5-6m in order to prove it and then cash in. Or option two get your 8x8 contract.

Bruins really want term but at low cost bc Swayman is an RFA and he has sonly split duties in the past not been the full time guy.

So this isnt going to be an easy negotiation.

Seayman also has option to sign the tender this year and then really force the issue next year.

So this is a really tough negotiation.

I am more interested in this as it could have some effect on Shestys next contract as it would be another data point for a high end goalie, albeit one with more asterisks than saros, sorokin and helly.

Boston is going to want 8 years taking him from 25 to 32 years old.

I don't buy the 1 to 2 year deal. Swayman is going to want to come out of this with enough of a guaranteed nest egg. Nor would a 1 to 2 year deal be something Boston would even consider.

But, Swayman might be looking for a 4 year deal taking him to 29 and then looking to get a Saros/Helly like contract then that covers 29 to 37. If the cap keeps going up at 4m per year, or so, that deal would start looking like a 8x10 deal.

So is something like 4x6 + 8x10 better for Swayman or something like 8x8 + whatever he would get at 32 years old better for Swayman?

Or course, once you get into the 4x? length you start potentially getting into "well, the Habs will give me 4x8 so you don't even get a discount on the RFA years" scenario. Question is, are there actually teams out there offering a shorter term high AAV deal that Swayman would want to sign with over Boston.

The worst case scenario for Boston here is they end up being pressured into a 4x8 kind of deal instead of getting an 8x8 kind of deal.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
It's a negotiation tactic. Both sides come in with crazy high and crazy low. Both know its somewhere around 8M. They fight for it being between 7.5-8.5M range etc.
it just seems insane that the fight is at this range still. I fully agree it being a negotiation tactic but this negotiation should have started day 1. Right now the negotiation should be between the 7-8.5 range, not swayman still asking for 10.

Negotiations change quickly but if the report is true then being this far apart at the end of august is a bit concerning.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Now that is a sticky situation. Bruins have $8.6mil in space and not a lot of good players to dump or buyout.

Thing is though, Swayman is 25yo and has been rock solid for them. 8 year deal put him at 33. That's hardly old for a goalie and if he maintains, that will be a very palatable hit for some time.

I would ask "1yr for $8mil then next off-season when we have space, 8yr x $10mil". I just don't know how they fit him this year at $10mil.

Reactions: HockeyScotty

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
the cap isn't going up 9m in a year. the CBA only allows the cap to go up a certain % per year.
You didn't read what I said. I said in the offseason. You are allowed to be 10% over the cap in the offseason. 10% of $88m is $8.8m. That' adds up to $96.8m.

Sign Swayman, sign Zadorov and Lindholm and deal with Ullmark later.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Now that is a sticky situation. Bruins have $8.6mil in space and not a lot of good players to dump or buyout.

Thing is though, Swayman is 25yo and has been rock solid for them. 8 year deal put him at 33. That's hardly old for a goalie and if he maintains, that will be a very palatable hit for some time.

I would ask "1yr for $8mil then next off-season when we have space, 8yr x $10mil". I just don't know how they fit him this year at $10mil.
If the Bruins made Geekie available I would bet a lot of teams would come calling. 26 year old versatile forward with size who has improved his stats every year putting up 39 points last year. He’s worth a good amount more than the 2m he’s making and is still a RFA after this season.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Boston is going to want 8 years taking him from 25 to 32 years old.

I don't buy the 1 to 2 year deal. Swayman is going to want to come out of this with enough of a guaranteed nest egg. Nor would a 1 to 2 year deal be something Boston would even consider.

But, Swayman might be looking for a 4 year deal taking him to 29 and then looking to get a Saros/Helly like contract then that covers 29 to 37. If the cap keeps going up at 4m per year, or so, that deal would start looking like a 8x10 deal.

So is something like 4x6 + 8x10 better for Swayman or something like 8x8 + whatever he would get at 32 years old better for Swayman?

Or course, once you get into the 4x? length you start potentially getting into "well, the Habs will give me 4x8 so you don't even get a discount on the RFA years" scenario. Question is, are there actually teams out there offering a shorter term high AAV deal that Swayman would want to sign with over Boston.

The worst case scenario for Boston here is they end up being pressured into a 4x8 kind of deal instead of getting an 8x8 kind of deal.

I don't really agree with the 1-2 year deal take. Swayman seems pretty self confident and a 1-2 year deal gives Swayman even greater leverage than he has now with his resume if he has a good season. He also wants to be a Bruin.

That said, Colorado, Montreal, New Jersey and Utah were each reportedly interested in Askarov:

-Colorado and New Jersey don't have the cap space or picks to pull off an offersheet.
-Montreal can create the capspace through LTIR and have the picks, but aren't really at a point in their rebuild where they'd risk their own 1st, and starting a offersheet war with arguably their biggest rival probably just hurts both teams long term. Especially since they're goaltending right now is adequate and they have goalie prospect depth.
-Utah is the most interesting potential team that could reasonably have interest. They have the picks, they still have oodles of cap space (over 9 mil with 7.8 mil in potential LTIR room on top) and while they have Hrabal, both their current goalies are older than Swayman and they have a new owner that's been making splashes. Its also not hard to see Utah with Swayman getting close to or making the playoffs with a much improved D-core.

8x8 seems like a pipe dream for Boston though, at that AAV the term would not be that high.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Bergeron needs to have a talk with this kid. Sign a deal that'll still let you win.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I mean 8x10 is 4 firsts compensation. So the first thing Boston would say is “ok go find an offersheet because we ain’t negotiating against ourselves”

That has been the case for a while now.

McAvoy and Pastrnak both got deals that were at the market rate.

As did Krejci and Marchand and Rask. Marchand grew out of his deal, so it ended up being great, but it was really only Bergeron who took a cut off his big deal.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
He has never proved he can handle a full workload. He was in a 1a/b split. Thats not the same. And while i believe he can, until he actually does he still has something to prove

That’s on boston and monty. If a team pointed to that when they chose playing time, no meeting in the middle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad