Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Swayman needs to understand saros and helle are much more established, and in the goalie world, that means everything. I think they meet at 7-7.25 mil per on a long term deal imo
He's played 41 37 and 44 games
You are right a starter needs to be at 55 games and he is close to that.

He also has amazing numbers in his 12 games for the playoffs.

He is 25 and he knows this contract is his prime if he signs 8 years.

25 to 33. He has one shot to maximize his earnings.

Sarros at 29 got 7.74
Sarokin is 28/29 getting 8.25

I think he either gets 8 to 8.5 million for 8 years or 2 years at 7 million.

I don't think he wants some 5 year deal.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I am confident Boston will get this done. No way they go into the season with Korpisalo as their starter and potentially toss the season away. Their management team is too smart for that imo.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
He's not worth 10. I'd argue no goalie in this league is. Just because Florida drunkenly gave Borbrovsky 10+ a half decade ago doesn't mean every goalie should get that. That goes for Shesterkin too as he's negotiating his new deal.

The benchmark should be Hellebuyck. He's the best goalie in the league and gets 8.5. Ergo, Swayman should come in somewhere around there, but lower (8, maybe 7.5 as the low point)

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I think it’s more complex than that.

First of all, to understand what happened to Swayman, you gotta understand who Swayman the goalie WAS. Now Swayman was born to a three-legged bitch of a mother. And he was always ashamed of this. And then right after that, he's adopted by this man, Tito Liebowitz. He's a small-time gunrunner and goalie fight promoter. So he puts Swayman into training, next thing you know… Swayman’s GOOD! He is DAMN good!

But then, he had the fight of his life. They pit him against his brother Ullmark. And Swayman said, "No, man, that's my brother, I can't fight Ullmark!" And he made him fight anyway. And then Swayman… killed Ullmark. And Swayman said, "That's it!!!" And he called off all his fights, and he started doing crack, and he ffffffffFREAKED OUT. And then in a rage, he collapsed, and his heart... no longer beat. Wow.
Brady Skjei is a Nashville predator and just cured death. He’ll be fine

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's played 41 37 and 44 games
You are right a starter needs to be at 55 games and he is close to that.

He also has amazing numbers in his 12 games for the playoffs.

He is 25 and he knows this contract is his prime if he signs 8 years.

25 to 33. He has one shot to maximize his earnings.

Sarros at 29 got 7.74
Sarokin is 28/29 getting 8.25

I think he either gets 8 to 8.5 million for 8 years or 2 years at 7 million.

I don't think he wants some 5 year deal.
The style that goalies play now puts a lot of stress on their lower body. Not sure they last as long as Roy, Brodeur, Belfour, etc. who starred in the 90's to early millennium. I'm sure that's a consideration for all goalies.

I would agree that something in the mid to high $8's seems about right, especially when you factor in age as he is 3 years younger than those other goalies so even in years 7/8 the wear and tear on the lower body wouldn't be as much as those others who would be in their late 30's.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Realistically they probably shouldn't have traded Ullmark until they signed him.

Not because they don't plan on going with Swayman, but because Swayman now has them bent over knowing they have no other option.

If Ullmark was still on Boston then the B's would have ~6m to sign Swayman versus ~8m. That scenario then gives other teams leverage to offersheet because the Bruins now have limited cap to sign him, the one trade piece they had would get to update his M-NTC list on 7/1 and may not be able to be moved, and the teams offering an offer sheet could offer just above what the Bruins could do to minimize the compensation.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Highly doubt he is asking for 10. Source is very questionable.
The same was reported for Konecny and he ended up signing for 8.75 x 8.

Swayman’s agent is Lewis Gross, these are his top clients if anyone’s interested:

IMG_5947.jpeg

Interesting to note he reps both Nylander and Gaudreau, as Johnny took less to go to CBJ and Nylander played hardball with his last 2 contracts.

TooMuchMan

Sep 29, 2010
Deep Space Nine
I wouldn't doubt that he's asking for it knowing that it's unreasonable but negotiating for something that's more realistic.

The way Keefe is presenting it feels disingenuous. The verbal framing he's using for the supposed rumor could mean a lot of things besides where the negotiations are actually at (he could also be making it up).

I agree that as an opening salvo $10m makes a decent amount of sense. He won't get it (at least not from Boston) but it pushes the Overton window of the contract discussion decidedly northwards. But I would be exceedingly surprised if the actual pivot-point of contract talk is north of $8.5.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Swayman needs to understand saros and helle are much more established, and in the goalie world, that means everything. I think they meet at 7-7.25 mil per on a long term deal imo

which is why i suspect he might also be ok with a short term deal for a year or two as a prove it. This way he can cash in. Bruins would obviously not want this.

So if i were swayman i would be on with either two options. Sign 1 or 2 year deal for 5-6m in order to prove it and then cash in. Or option two get your 8x8 contract.

Bruins really want term but at low cost bc Swayman is an RFA and he has sonly split duties in the past not been the full time guy.

So this isnt going to be an easy negotiation.

Seayman also has option to sign the tender this year and then really force the issue next year.

So this is a really tough negotiation.

I am more interested in this as it could have some effect on Shestys next contract as it would be another data point for a high end goalie, albeit one with more asterisks than saros, sorokin and helly.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
He's not worth 10. I'd argue no goalie in this league is. Just because Florida drunkenly gave Borbrovsky 10+ a half decade ago doesn't mean every goalie should get that. That goes for Shesterkin too as he's negotiating his new deal.

The benchmark should be Hellebuyck. He's the best goalie in the league and gets 8.5. Ergo, Swayman should come in somewhere around there, but lower (8, maybe 7.5 as the low point)
Terrible comp, Helle was 30 when he signed his, Swayman is 25.

Reactions: nashnaidoo

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
which is why i suspect he might also be ok with a short term deal for a year or two as a prove it. This way he can cash in. Bruins would obviously not want this.

So if i were swayman i would be on with either two options. Sign 1 or 2 year deal for 5-6m in order to prove it and then cash in. Or option two get your 8x8 contract.

Bruins really want term but at low cost bc Swayman is an RFA and he has sonly split duties in the past not been the full time guy.

So this isnt going to be an easy negotiation.

Seayman also has option to sign the tender this year and then really force the issue next year.

So this is a really tough negotiation.

I am more interested in this as it could have some effect on Shestys next contract as it would be another data point for a high end goalie, albeit one with more asterisks than saros, sorokin and helly.

He just got off his prove it deal.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If Ullmark was still on Boston then the B's would have ~6m to sign Swayman versus ~8m. That scenario then gives other teams leverage to offersheet because the Bruins now have limited cap to sign him, the one trade piece they had would get to update his M-NTC list on 7/1 and may not be able to be moved, and the teams offering an offer sheet could offer just above what the Bruins could do to minimize the compensation.
The cap is about $97m in the offseason.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
If all they need to do is agree on salary and term, then I wonder what the problem is?

Would it matter if they're not even close?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
So the Bruins gave Rask 9.5AAV in today's cap dollars on his long term deal coming out of sharing the net with Tim Thomas. Rask had never started more than 45 games, but was more proven and had a better playoff run under his belt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad