Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
That is a man that knows he has the Bruins by the balls
Yep.
The business side of it all, family, goalie market, Stanford.
He's ascended to the brand side of pro sports athletes.

Bruins have no choice but to:
giphy.gif

Otherwise, the JS brand/talents are going elsewhere, and it will hurt a lot.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
That guy knows he got them.

He didn't like last year experience at the arbitration hearing and he tries to paint it like it's water under the bridge, but he'll make them pay big time.

My guess is 9,25 * 7 or 8 years.
Yep. Bruins played big time hard ball with him last season, and now he's just doing the same. Nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Why does swayman think he’s worth more then helle?

Maybe because he's 6yrs younger and entering the prime of his career. His numbers over the last two seasons are on par with Hellebuyck, but Hellebuyck has more games played

Helle - 124GP / .921 SV% / 2.44 GAA / 9 SO
Sway - 81GP / 9.18 SV% / 2.41 GAA / 7 SO

Max McBolt

Dec 18, 2018
Trading Ullmark before getting business done with Swayman was a big fail by Boston management
Lots of people have been saying this.

But if they sign Swayman to a big contract that puts them over the cap before trading Ullmark, then they are in a position of weakness to deal with other GMs and try to make a trade happen.

Other GMs would try to take advantage knowing Boston has to dump salary.

It was either give some leverage to other GMs to screw them over, or give some leverage to Swayman.

Pick your poison.

Swayman is their guy and he’s a RFA so he doesn’t hold all the cards. That’s the way they went.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Based on that podcast interview, I don't believe he actually thinks he's gonna get 10. Feel like Bruins are trying to get him for under 8 and he wants between 8 and 9. I think they'll settle at 8.5ish.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Lots of people have been saying this.

But if they sign Swayman to a big contract that puts them over the cap before trading Ullmark, then they are in a position of weakness to deal with other GMs and try to make a trade happen.

Other GMs would try to take advantage knowing Boston has to dump salary.

It was either give some leverage to other GMs to screw them over, or give some leverage to Swayman.

Pick your poison.

Swayman is their guy and he’s a RFA so he doesn’t hold all the cards. That’s the way they went.

Trading Ullmark also allowed them to hit FA as hard as they did and arguably get 2 of the top 5-7 free agents on the market.

And the scenario you paint is a real one as well. Imagine sitting here today with Swayman and Ullmark knowing you have to move Ullmark and Askarov just took another destination off the board. Ottawa could have been real interested in a goalie like that and then Ullmark could use his NTC to block anything out west leaving the Bruins with 13m in goaltending, no 1st in the past draft, and losing Ullmark for nothing at the end of the year.

This thread reminds me of all our rival fanbases tap dancing the the grave of the Bruins when they lost Bergeron, Krejci, had the cap overage, and seemingly had no shot at the playoffs in 23-24. Funny how that turned out though…. Can’t wait for Swayman to sign to put this rumor to bed.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Why did the Bruins trade their only goalie capable of challenging him as their starter and paint themselves into a corner to give him the leverage they did? They need him to play 60 games next year or their season is done.

Man, I hate this reasoning.

Option 1:

Trade Ullmark before his new trade list kicks in. Try to sign Swayman before that... but like... you know his agent isn't stupid and you aren’t in the best bargaining position when YOU have a deadline and the other side doesn’t. Now they both have a deadline coming up (like all the other current RFAs which are plentiful) so both sides are getting motivated.

Option 2:

Don't trade Ullmark to use as leverage. Don't sign one of Lindholm or Zadorov to protect against offer sheets. Either try to trade Ullmark in camp in what would probably be a bad deal or just keep the tandem and let Ullmark walk for free.

Option 3:
Re-sign Ullmark and deal Swayman. This, I think, may have been on the table before Swayman stole the crease, but wasn’t really an option after.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
If Swayman wants Max dollar and Max term is he ready to face the constant criticism and responsibility that comes with that type of contract? Every time he loses a 1 goal game, the contract will come up "is Jeremy Swayman worth XYZ?"

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
I'm not so sure. What happens if he refuses to sign? What options do the Bruins have to fill the hole in net in the meantime?

Bruins could easily bury a few contracts to make room for up to 11M, not that I want that to happen.

But hypothetically if he receives an offersheet for 10M x 7 the AAV will be calculated 10x7= 70M. Then 70M is divided by 5 this would be a 14M AAV hit for 5 years. What GM in their right mind is prepared to carry a 14M AAV for 5 years?

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Cap situation, age, team position, and a bunch of other factors.

Business-savvy athletes don't owe anything to previous contracts, they get the best they can at the right time.

Swayman seems to be playing it perfectly so far.
I heard an interview with JS and he seemed really savvy about the entire process.

I wonder if they struggle to come up with a long term contract - if JS doesn't try to go shorter term at a lower figure, but walks him to UFA.

Bruins could easily bury a few contracts to make room for up to 11M, not that I want that to happen.

But hypothetically if he receives an offersheet for 10M x 7 the AAV will be calculated 10x7= 70M. Then 70M is divided by 5 this would be a 14M AAV hit for 5 years. What GM in their right mind is prepared to carry a 14M AAV for 5 years?
The AAV would still just be $10M for cap hit perspective. The $14M would be used to determine the offer-sheet compensation - and because it's over $11.4M it would be 4 x 1st round DP as compensation.

Reactions: missionAvs

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I heard an interview with JS and he seemed really savvy about the entire process.

I wonder if they struggle to come up with a long term contract - if JS doesn't try to go shorter term at a lower figure, but walks him to UFA.

The AAV would still just be $10M for cap hit perspective. The $14M would be used to determine the offer-sheet compensation - and because it's over $11.4M it would be 4 x 1st round DP as compensation.
And no goalie is worth 4xfirsts.

Theres a reason why an offersheet isnt out there. Bruins isnt as cap constrained as the Oilers were, so theres really no point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad