Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I would also say that Helle potentially giving the Jets a discount doesn't necessarily mean that any other goalie is obligated to, especially when part of that contract might not be a discount due to age.

I don't even think Hellebuyck took much of a discount, I'm not sure a team would have given much more to a 31 year old UFA with that kind of term.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
this is the guy they kept cause the other was going to be too expensive to sign and this one was "in the bag", right?
HA HAH!!
Completely wrong. :thumbd:

151229155719619.png

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
If it’s true he wants 10m AAV which was a rumour, I’d refuse and let him sit until the deadline.

This team was built on and won off the backs of selfless players who sacrificed a few million to win. It’s why Boston has been so good for so long and letting one greedy agent strongarm you screws the entire culture in the future. Then again, Swayman said he wanted to get a bag for the next guy anyways

They have the leverage to make an example of this guy and to continue / set their culture in stone. I’d do it. Anything over 7.5m for a goalie who’s never been an undisputed #1 is a no for me. Yes, he was solid but he also had a Vézina winner behind him playing half the schedule.

You can’t let these greedy agents and players win or you become the Toronto maple leafs.

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
If it’s true he wants 10m AAV which was a rumour, I’d refuse and let him sit until the deadline.

This team was built on and won off the backs of selfless players who sacrificed a few million to win. It’s why Boston has been so good for so long and letting one greedy agent strongarm you screws the entire culture in the future. Then again, Swayman said he wanted to get a bag for the next guy anyways

They have the leverage to make an example of this guy and to continue / set their culture in stone. I’d do it. Anything over 7.5m for a goalie who’s never been an undisputed #1 is a no for me. Yes, he was solid but he also had a Vezina winner behind him playing half the schedule.

You can’t let these greedy agents and players win or you become the Toronto maple leafs.

This team hasn't won in a while and certainly not with this group or core. It seems now that they have a core of Pastrnak ($11.25m), McAvoy ($9.5M), and Swayman ($8.5? $9.5M) getting paid and they haven't won anything yet...in case you are worried about becoming the Leafs.

Add to this a poor prospect pool (understandable) and overpaying support players like Zadorov, E. Lindholm, Zacha, etc, and it is not a good looking recipe. This window could be closing quickly as soon Marchand won't be a factor anymore. Letting Swayman sit out this year seems a bit risky.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
This team hasn't won in a while and certainly not with this group or core. It seems now that they have a core of Pastrnak ($11.25m), McAvoy ($9.5M), and Swayman ($8.5? $9.5M) getting paid and they haven't won anything yet...in case you are worried about becoming the Leafs.

Add to this a poor prospect pool (understandable) and overpaying support players like Zadorov, E. Lindholm, Zacha, etc, and it is not a good looking recipe. This window could be closing quickly as soon Marchand won't be a factor anymore. Letting Swayman sit out this year seems a bit risky.
How is a D,G and winger comparable to 4 redundant forwards, especially when they are still cheaper? What is Leafy about it? Those "support" players arent over paid. The cup window closed already when Chara and Bergeron retired. This is the rebuild. They have a 1G, 1D and 1W to build on. Terrible analysis.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022

How is Zacha overpaid? Was the top center on the Bruins last year and made 4.75 million.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
How is a D,G and winger comparable to 4 redundant forwards, especially when they are still cheaper? What is Leafy about it? Those "support" players arent over paid. The cup window closed already when Chara and Bergeron retired. This is the rebuild. They have a 1G, 1D and 1W to build on. Terrible analysis.
I don't know how they are comparable in any way other than they are being paid a lot and haven't won anything yet.

I was responding to the comment that you can't let these players get greedy and win or you will become the Leafs.

It doesn't feel like Pastrnak, McAvoy and now (potentially) Swayman are giving the Bs a discount. They sort of look greedy.

Analysis? Wasn't the point made (that I was responding to) that greedy players taking big salaries and not winning is the Leafs recipe?

It's a rebuild? Hmmm...isn't Pastrnak 28? You re building around a 28 year old and no prospects, and now two 29 year old overpaid support players on long term deals?

I didn't realize it was a rebuild. What's the blueprint here? I get a G, D, and an F and you have three good ones there. I don't understand the rest of the plan. It seemed to me like trying to extend a closing window rather than rebuilding.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
How is Zacha overpaid? Was the top center on the Bruins last year and made 4.75 million.

You're right. Poorly worded on my part. He was miscast rather than overpaid. The top C playing with Pastrnak and getting less than 60 points is not a good look.

I assume he gets bumped down to 2C (or is that Coyle) now that Lindholm is here. Depending on line mates that could eat into Zacha's production.

What is the C order in Boston now?

Lindholm
Zacha
Coyle

$17.75M for those three is not bad I guess. I am not sure there is an actual 1C there. Maybe the depth and rolling three lines is a good approach. Boston always seems to find a way to make it work.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

They have the leverage to make an example of this guy and to continue / set their culture in stone. I’d do it. Anything over 7.5m for a goalie who’s never been an undisputed #1 is a no for me. Yes, he was solid but he also had a Vézina winner behind him playing half the schedule.

Boston has 1 Cup in the past 50 years or something.

I dont think thats a good statistic to look at and think hey, I might as well take a massive pay cut because theyre winners!

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
You're right. Poorly worded on my part. He was miscast rather than overpaid. The top C playing with Pastrnak and getting less than 60 points is not a good look.

I assume he gets bumped down to 2C (or is that Coyle) now that Lindholm is here. Depending on line mates that could eat into Zacha's production.

What is the C order in Boston now?

Lindholm
Zacha
Coyle

$17.75M for those three is not bad I guess. I am not sure there is an actual 1C there. Maybe the depth and rolling three lines is a good approach. Boston always seems to find a way to make it work.
Zacha will probably be 1LW with Lindholm and Pastrnak like he was with Krejci and Pasta in 22-23. Top six looks something like:
Zacha-Lindholm-Pastrnak
Marchand-Coyle-Lysell/Poitras/Geekie

Obvious hole at 2RW and Coyle in the top six means that the third line is going to have to have a really good year for Boston to compete with other teams offensively.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Zacha will probably be 1LW with Lindholm and Pastrnak like he was with Krejci and Pasta in 22-23. Top six looks something like:
Zacha-Lindholm-Pastrnak
Marchand-Coyle-Lysell/Poitras/Geekie

Obvious hole at 2RW and Coyle in the top six means that the third line is going to have to have a really good year for Boston to compete with other teams offensively.

Thanks.

I guess Lindholm "bouncing back" is a big success factor for the B's this year. I always really liked him before this past season. You have to hope that was a blip and not end beginning of a decline.

Reactions: I am Bettman

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
If neither star seems big on re-signing with their current team before the season starts, Draisaitl and Skinner for Swayman, Poitras and Carlo. Who says no?

BOS:

Zacha-Draisiatl-Pasta
Marchand-Coyle-Lindholm
Frederic-Geekie-Lysell
Jones-Beecher-Brazeau

Zadorov-McAvoy
Lohrei-Lindholm
Wotherspoon-Peeke

Skinner
Korpisalo

EDM:

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
Kane-RNH-Arvidsson
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Podkolzin-Poitras-Perry

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Carlo
Kulak-Emberson

Swayman
Pickard

If Poitras shows he has the chops for 2C right out of the gate, then RNH goes back up to 1LW. If not, he gets soft minutes on what would be a "3B" scoring line while Janmark/Henrique/Brown soak up the tough defensive assignments like they did in the playoffs.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
If neither star seems big on re-signing with their current team before the season starts, Draisaitl and Skinner for Swayman, Poitras and Carlo. Who says no?

BOS:

Zacha-Draisiatl-Pasta
Marchand-Coyle-Lindholm
Frederic-Geekie-Lysell
Jones-Beecher-Brazeau

Zadorov-McAvoy
Lohrei-Lindholm
Wotherspoon-Peeke

Skinner
Korpisalo

EDM:

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
Kane-RNH-Arvidsson
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Podkolzin-Poitras-Perry

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Carlo
Kulak-Emberson

Swayman
Pickard

If Poitras shows he has the chops for 2C right out of the gate, then RNH goes back up to 1LW. If not, he gets soft minutes on what would be a "3B" scoring line while Janmark/Henrique/Brown soak up the tough defensive assignments like they did in the playoffs.
Edmonton says no...

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Boston has 1 Cup in the past 50 years or something.

I dont think thats a good statistic to look at and think hey, I might as well take a massive pay cut because theyre winners!
They were a legit threat every year. It’s a shame they only got one but they’ve been perennial contenders and even now when they should be cooked, they’re still good. A major part of that is the salary cap management due to guys willing to take hometown discounts. Seems Swayman wants to be the first to break that tradition.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I don't know how they are comparable in any way other than they are being paid a lot and haven't won anything yet.

I was responding to the comment that you can't let these players get greedy and win or you will become the Leafs.

It doesn't feel like Pastrnak, McAvoy and now (potentially) Swayman are giving the Bs a discount. They sort of look greedy.

Analysis? Wasn't the point made (that I was responding to) that greedy players taking big salaries and not winning is the Leafs recipe?

It's a rebuild? Hmmm...isn't Pastrnak 28? You re building around a 28 year old and no prospects, and now two 29 year old overpaid support players on long term deals?

I didn't realize it was a rebuild. What's the blueprint here? I get a G, D, and an F and you have three good ones there. I don't understand the rest of the plan. It seemed to me like trying to extend a closing window rather than rebuilding.
Pasta 28, McAvoy 26 and Swayman 25. Thats too old for you? Retool might have been better term. They are top 5 defensive team that has had prospects join the lineup every year despite having limited picks and draft position. They are currently not a threat for cup IMHO but should be going forward if they can improve the scoring from forward group.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Pasta 28, McAvoy 26 and Swayman 25. Thats too old for you? Retool might have been better term. They are top 5 defensive team that has had prospects join the lineup every year despite having limited picks and draft position. They are currently not a threat for cup IMHO but should be going forward if they can improve the scoring from forward group.
No, not too old for me. This is why I think they are in a window that is still open for sure. It would have been too old for the core of a "rebuild" IMO and this is what I questioned. I didn't think they were in a rebuild, honestly even a re-tool might be too severe a description.

My prospects comment was just based on looking forward and heading into a rebuild. It is ranked one of the weaker pools in the league.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
No, not too old for me. This is why I think they are in a window that is still open for sure. It would have been too old for the core of a "rebuild" IMO and this is what I questioned. I didn't think they were in a rebuild, honestly even a re-tool might be too severe a description.

My prospects comment was just based on looking forward and heading into a rebuild. It is ranked one of the weaker pools in the league.
How much time does your "rebuild" take? You think teams have 6 year plans for this? Jobs dont last that long. Prospect rankings can change dramatically in a year and doesnt mean much. New guys every year!

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
How much time does your "rebuild" take? You think teams have 6 year plans for this? Jobs dont last that long. Prospect rankings can change dramatically in a year and doesnt mean much. New guys every year!

Great question that is probably worthy of a longer discussion and it's own thread. In this thread and to answer it in this context -- I would say a rebuild requires young, controllable assets that grow together and peak at the same time to be a contender and then hopefully a winner.

Given than Boston does not currently have any blue chip prospects to build around and they are not going to terrible or drafting high any time soon, I would say it would be a long rebuild. Now, they could start trading off vets to acquire more draft picks and prospects and presumably start finishing lower and drafting a bit higher, but that doesn't appear to be the plan.

Re-tool might be the correct term. They are in transition from the Bergeron, Krejci and Marchand era to a new one. The issue might be that they had Pasta, McAvoy and great goaltending when they had those three...while they still have Pastrnak, McAvoy and Swayman they don't seem to have the next Bergeron, Krejci or Marchand in the system and I am not sure how you acquire those guys.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Great question that is probably worthy of a longer discussion and it's own thread. In this thread and to answer it in this context -- I would say a rebuild requires young, controllable assets that grow together and peak at the same time to be a contender and then hopefully a winner.

Given than Boston does not currently have any blue chip prospects to build around and they are not going to terrible or drafting high any time soon, I would say it would be a long rebuild. Now, they could start trading off vets to acquire more draft picks and prospects and presumably start finishing lower and drafting a bit higher, but that doesn't appear to be the plan.

Re-tool might be the correct term. They are in transition from the Bergeron, Krejci and Marchand era to a new one. The issue might be that they had Pasta, McAvoy and great goaltending when they had those three...while they still have Pastrnak, McAvoy and Swayman they don't seem to have the next Bergeron, Krejci or Marchand in the system and I am not sure how you acquire those guys.
Lohrei, Poitras and Lysell could all start the year with the Bruins. I mean if guys actually make the NHL team does that lower their prospect rankings? The goal is to make it a short transition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad