Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The bruins don’t have another capable goalie. I’d call that leverage.
I wouldn't. They got korpisalo to limit that leverage. They were fine with swayman never playing a big chunk of the season.
If by rebuild you mean blowing up the team and playing for top 5 picks.....your talking at least 7-8yrs
No team plans for 8 years of non playoffs. Thats at least one failed rebuild within that span.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
I think Korpisalo will post much better numbers in Boston and Ullmark will post worse number in Ottawa cause of the system Boston plays and the fact that they're better defensivly. If Swayman would go to another team I think he would do worse.
What I am saying is that Swayman has NEVER been a true starter in his career, never played 50+ games/season, and been a beneficiary of a very strong Boston d core allowing few high danger scoring chances.
Swayman has ZERO leverage with 2 years until UFA status. Anything over 7 would be an overpayment by Boston....

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
I think Korpisalo will post much better numbers in Boston and Ullmark will post worse number in Ottawa cause of the system Boston plays and the fact that they're better defensivly. If Swayman would go to another team I think he would do worse.
What I am saying is that Swayman has NEVER been a true starter in his career, never played 50+ games/season, and been a beneficiary of a very strong Boston d core allowing few high danger scoring chances.
Swayman has ZERO leverage with 2 years until UFA status. Anything over 7 would be an overpayment by Boston....
It wasnt Ottawa's defense that caused him to let in a goal on one of the first two shots in a third of his starts. Now maybe those demons are behind him but there isnt the massive difference in defensive play you think there is. For example on evolving hockey Bruins were 14th for xGA/60 and the Sens were 18th.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I wouldn't. They got korpisalo to limit that leverage. They were fine with swayman never playing a big chunk of the season.

No team plans for 8 years of non playoffs. Thats at least one failed rebuild within that span.

What's your definition of a successful rebuild? Is is just making the playoffs? winning a cup?

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Lohrei can be a PP1 QB and top 4 D. Cowan and Knies can be 2LW on a team that has 2 of the highest paid W in the league. Im not sure why you are confused. Robertson has no value, but lets say Knies and Cowan hit. Is the plan to have the best wingers in the league and then ehn ELCS end how much cap do you want to spend on least vital position on a team?
Robertson has value. His goal scoring efficiency is near the top of the league when you factor in his limited minutes. That’s without any PP time. If you give this guy even PP2 minutes and 15 minutes of ice time per game you have a 30 goal scorer. That's why he believes he has leverage in negotiation. Unfortunately for him the leafs were one of the top scoring teams in the league last season and offense isn’t the top priority.

Robertson to Columbus is now a real possibility. Not sure what would be coming back the other way.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Robertson has value. His goal scoring efficiency is near the top of the league when you factor in his limited minutes. That’s without any PP time. If you give this guy even PP2 minutes and 15 minutes of ice time per game you have a 30 goal scorer. That's why he believes he has leverage in negotiation. Unfortunately for him the leafs were one of the top scoring teams in the league last season and offense isn’t the top priority.

Robertson to Columbus is now a real possibility. Not sure what would be coming back the other way.
2nd round pick at best. He's largely unproven. Scoring at a high rate in limited minutes doesn't automatically mean he is going to maintain that pace when given more ice time.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
2nd round pick at best. He's largely unproven. Scoring at a high rate in limited minutes doesn't automatically mean he is going to maintain that pace when given more ice time.
He’s a proven scorer at every level with one of the best shots in the NHL. The only issue with him in the past is injuries and unhappiness with his usage by Sheldon Keefe. Nothing to do with his talent. He could fetch more than a second round pick.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Could this be the first star player to follow Matthews lead and ask for top dollar and minimal term in the hopes of cashing in more than ice?

I think going forward more and more stars are going to realize they’ll do a lot better signing near max dollars for minimal term as the salary cap continues to rise.

$12m for 4 years, LETS GO SWAY!!

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I don't know how they are comparable in any way other than they are being paid a lot and haven't won anything yet.

I was responding to the comment that you can't let these players get greedy and win or you will become the Leafs.

It doesn't feel like Pastrnak, McAvoy and now (potentially) Swayman are giving the Bs a discount. They sort of look greedy.

Analysis? Wasn't the point made (that I was responding to) that greedy players taking big salaries and not winning is the Leafs recipe?

It's a rebuild? Hmmm...isn't Pastrnak 28? You re building around a 28 year old and no prospects, and now two 29 year old overpaid support players on long term deals?

I didn't realize it was a rebuild. What's the blueprint here? I get a G, D, and an F and you have three good ones there. I don't understand the rest of the plan. It seemed to me like trying to extend a closing window rather than rebuilding.

Pasta could be making 12 something.

McAvoy could have been liking at 10+ he is that damn good.

Swayman is 25 and best goaltending years 25 to 33.

Cap is going up and he knows it. I'd rather do 2 years at like 7 mill and re up or take a long term 9x8 deal. Something like that.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Pasta could be making 12 something.

McAvoy could have been liking at 10+ he is that damn good.

Swayman is 25 and best goaltending years 25 to 33.

Cap is going up and he knows it. I'd rather do 2 years at like 7 mill and re up or take a long term 9x8 deal. Something like that.

I agree with all of that. Any long term deal has the potential to look like a deal a couple of years after signing it if the players keep performing like Pasta and McAvoy have.

My comment was that these are fair deals for good players. Boston used to get below market value for good players and that was a competitive advantage for them. It seems as though that playing field is levelling.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
It wasnt Ottawa's defense that caused him to let in a goal on one of the first two shots in a third of his starts. Now maybe those demons are behind him but there isnt the massive difference in defensive play you think there is. For example on evolving hockey Bruins were 14th for xGA/60 and the Sens were 18th.
xGA is not the authoritative stat on defensive play you think it is. Its the best we have but its flawed. Anton Forsberg sucked last year too.

Reactions: wintersej

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I feel like this is the Konecny situation 2.0. He was seeking 10m long term and settled mid 8's

Same thing is going to happen to Swayman

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
He’s a proven scorer at every level with one of the best shots in the NHL. The only issue with him in the past is injuries and unhappiness with his usage by Sheldon Keefe. Nothing to do with his talent. He could fetch more than a second round pick.
No he couldn't. This is fantasy. He cant get more minutes on a Leaf team that is desperate for secondary scoring because the other aspects of his game are so lacking. He hasn't proven diddly at the NHL level.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
I agree with all of that. Any long term deal has the potential to look like a deal a couple of years after signing it if the players keep performing like Pasta and McAvoy have.

My comment was that these are fair deals for good players. Boston used to get below market value for good players and that was a competitive advantage for them. It seems as though that playing field is levelling.
As a B's fan it definitely is but it's also a different culture there now. Hard to convince everyone to leave money on the table when guys like Chara or Bergeron leading the charge on that mantra aren't there anymore. No issue with the players going for what they feel they deserve though, Swaymans earned a big contract in my opinion.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
As a B's fan it definitely is but it's also a different culture there now. Hard to convince everyone to leave money on the table when guys like Chara or Bergeron leading the charge on that mantra aren't there anymore. No issue with the players going for what they feel they deserve though, Swaymans earned a big contract in my opinion.
Exactly. I used words like "fair market value" and not "greedy". It's a nice thing when you can save a few bucks because the leaders set the "take less so we can win example".

I am not a Bruins fan so now it is nice that that is not an unfair advantage to compete against.

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
xGA is not the authoritative stat on defensive play you think it is. Its the best we have but its flawed. Anton Forsberg sucked last year too.
He didn't say it was authoritative, he was providing one example of an advanced stat regarding team defense. Forsberg sucks just like Korpisalo, almost anyone would be a massive upgrade for Ottawa.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

I thought McAvoys deal was a steal day one.

Pastas I was like fair market value

I think some of it is culture and some if it is well crap this guy is worse and making 2 more million then I am. Neither of us won a cup but atleast he is richer.

I think some of that has happened. The shine if 2011 slowly fading.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
None of the public models are perfect but if I just said as a sens fan that they were not nearly the tire fire defensively last year that everyone seems to think they were and this provides a modicum of proof

Reactions: LiseL

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
What he's done prior to the NHL gets his foot in the door. If he can't earn more ice time, on a team that's been a bit lacking in secondary scoring, that tells you that there is something lacking in his game.

How do you quantify "one of the best shots in the NHL"? He has a good shot, but that's a bold statement to make. Not to mention that there have been TONS of players with great shots who don't translate to big time NHL scorers.

This kid isn't a sure shot top six player, no matter how much you want him to be. His trade demand also would have reduced his value around the league. Nobody really wants to deal with a kid who thinks he should be handed a spot without earning it.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He didn't say it was authoritative, he was providing one example of an advanced stat regarding team defense. Forsberg sucks just like Korpisalo, almost anyone would be a massive upgrade for Ottawa.

Last season, Bruins were significantly better defensively than Ottawa full stop.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

A running theme here.

Thomas
Rask
Swayman

All good "because of the defense" until you see them play. It goes both ways.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
No he couldn't. This is fantasy. He cant get more minutes on a Leaf team that is desperate for secondary scoring because the other aspects of his game are so lacking. He hasn't proven diddly at the NHL level.

What he's done prior to the NHL gets his foot in the door. If he can't earn more ice time, on a team that's been a bit lacking in secondary scoring, that tells you that there is something lacking in his game.

How do you quantify "one of the best shots in the NHL"? He has a good shot, but that's a bold statement to make. Not to mention that there have been TONS of players with great shots who don't translate to big time NHL scorers.

This kid isn't a sure shot top six player, no matter how much you want him to be. His trade demand also would have reduced his value around the league. Nobody really wants to deal with a kid who thinks he should be handed a spot without earning it.

The only thing lacking in his game was ice time. Keefe just didn’t like the kid and they used him for cap and roster management because he wasn’t waiver eligible.

The claims about his shoddy defense are greatly exaggerated. There are highlights of him making excellent defensive plays on the back check.

They treated him badly precisely because they didn’t need secondary scoring.

Remember Marner only disappears in the playoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad