Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
The only thing lacking in his game was ice time. Keefe just didn’t like the kid and they used him for cap and roster management because he wasn’t waiver eligible.

The claims about his shoddy defense are greatly exaggerated. There are highlights of him making excellent defensive plays on the back check.

They treated him badly precisely because they didn’t need secondary scoring.

Remember Marner only disappears in the playoffs.
The data says that his scoring efficiency, especially his goal scoring is top 20 in the league per his given amount of ice time … and that’s without any time on the PP. With PP2 minutes and 14 minutes at even strength he would pot 35-40 goals over 82 games.

I’m not his agent and I don’t think holding out was a wise move but the facts are actually in his favour as far as getting paid like a top 9 player.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
He’s a proven scorer at every level with one of the best shots in the NHL. The only issue with him in the past is injuries and unhappiness with his usage by Sheldon Keefe. Nothing to do with his talent. He could fetch more than a second round pick.

You think Nick Robertson has one of the best shots in the NHL?

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Ranked 20th in high danger scoring chances SV%. Which tells you that Boston does not allow many....

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If goaltending is part of defensive play then sure, remove goaltending and the gap isn't what you think it is and none of the numbers we have available indicate anything else.

I think it’s when people take this stance with stats, especially the ones with obvious obvious obvious flaws like xGA that turns people off to non-basic counting stats in general. Especially in cases like this one where the eye test so obviously shows that the stats have issues accounting for the difference in shot quality when the goalie can square up and take the shooter and trust his D to cover the back door and seams…versus a goalie who has a lot more to worry about.

Reactions: weaponomega

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
I think it’s when people take this stance with stats, especially the ones with obvious obvious obvious flaws like xGA that turns people off to non-basic counting stats in general. Especially in cases like this one where the eye test so obviously shows that the stats have issues accounting for the difference in shot quality when the goalie can square up and take the shooter and trust his D to cover the back door and seams…versus a goalie who has a lot more to worry about.
I'm not just talking about xGA though, it was just the easiest example to pull. Using Money puck Boston was 20th for high danger shots against and Ottawa was 24th. Unblocked shots against (the biggest gap I found) Boston was 12th and Ottawa was 22nd. Again its easy to look like a defensive juggernaut when your goalies stop everything. Also likewise you seem way worse defensively when your goalies stop nothing. Trust also goes both ways, defensemen make worse decisions when they cant trust their goalies to make routine saves.

Reactions: LiseL

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
This goes to arbitration. Swayman wants the world and the Bruins aren't going to handcuff themselves.

A great time for a team that desperately needs netminding to offer Swayman what he wants and offer the Bruins an attractive package to get him.

But I think Boston forces the issue either way (he signs or arbitration) and gets a contract done.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Leafs fan confirming it is most certainly not top 3 on Toronto.
I’m not saying for sure but after Matthews and Nylander it’s not exactly a lineup w laser shots so he’d certainly be in the mix after that … but league wide , no mention is necessary

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
This goes to arbitration. Swayman wants the world and the Bruins aren't going to handcuff themselves.

A great time for a team that desperately needs netminding to offer Swayman what he wants and offer the Bruins an attractive package to get him.

But I think Boston forces the issue either way (he signs or arbitration) and gets a contract done.
Too late for that. The opportunity for arbitration came and went.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I’m not saying for sure but after Matthews and Nylander it’s not exactly a lineup w laser shots so he’d certainly be in the mix after that … but league wide , no mention is necessary
Which says a lot about how Toronto generate their offense/goals. Nothing worthy outside of Matthews, Nylander and Tavares.

Robertson should be nowhere near a top 6 on any NHL teams so thinking he could be the main piece in a swayman deal is laughable

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Which says a lot about how Toronto generate their offense/goals. Nothing worthy outside of Matthews, Nylander and Tavares.

Robertson should be nowhere near a top 6 on any NHL teams so thinking he could be the main piece in a swayman deal is laughable
Not sure why you’re quoting me , I never suggested he’d be part of any deal for Swayman . Bruins wouldn’t deal him within the division anyway . Robertson is worth about a second in my mind or a prospect in a similar position . Sway has tremendous value to imo. So it doesn’t jive at all. Not to mention how would Toronto even fit the contract ; assuming it’s in the 8 / 9 range? I know you like to police Hab centric threads but why you checking up on me here ?

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
He’s a proven scorer at every level with one of the best shots in the NHL. The only issue with him in the past is injuries and unhappiness with his usage by Sheldon Keefe. Nothing to do with his talent. He could fetch more than a second round pick.

A 2nd round pick (which is what you replied to) from Columbus (the team you mentioned) is likely to be around 35th overall this year.

You're out to lunch of you think he'd fetch more than that.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010

This is definately going to arbitration. Boston isn’t stupid

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
This is definately going to arbitration. Boston isn’t stupid
It's possible another team may offer something significantly stupider than Boston would be silly not to snatch and run away with. I expect him wearing the black and gold for the forseeable future.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
It's possible another team may offer something significantly stupider than Boston would be silly not to snatch and run away with. I expect him wearing the black and gold for the forseeable future.
Columbus has the cap room…

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Not sure why you’re quoting me , I never suggested he’d be part of any deal for Swayman . Bruins wouldn’t deal him within the division anyway . Robertson is worth about a second in my mind or a prospect in a similar position . Sway has tremendous value to imo. So it doesn’t jive at all. Not to mention how would Toronto even fit the contract ; assuming it’s in the 8 / 9 range? I know you like to police Hab centric threads but why you checking up on me here ?
I doubt Toronto get more than a 3rd for Robertson. He’s not good enough offensively for a top 6 role and not good enough defensively for a bottom 6 role.

He’s in a weird spot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad