Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Which are offers the Bruins would match. That was his point. The Bruins have a 8.6 in space available and can make it 9.6 by sending down Max Jones and running 13 forwards and 7 D.
It’s still a good thing for the rest of the league, and Swayman if the Bruins are forced to match $9.16m x 5

Reactions: wetcoast

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Again, whatever contract he signs before December 1st he will not lose a penny.

I mean…Swayman is going to get paid lol if Boston can’t afford to pay him then someone else will eventually. Boston not having the cap space to sign him for more then 8.5 in season literally is not his problem lol he could just take short term to fit and go right to free agency to fix the problem then!

Y'all are not seeing this thru here. Who has the cap space to pressure Boston here? And then who that has that cap space is going to be willing to give up 2 1st and 2nd and a 3rd? Can't see Chicago or Anaheim or Columbus giving up a potential top 5 pick+++. Is Utah willing to take that risk?

If not, then it absolutely matters to Swayman the Bruins losing cap space if we get into the season.

It’s still a good thing for the rest of the league, and Swayman if the Bruins are forced to match $9.16m x 5

Come on, that's silly and you know it. No GM is going to make an OS that has no chance of not getting matched. Its pointless.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Y'all are not seeing this thru here. Who has the cap space to pressure Boston here? And then who that has that cap space is going to be willing to give up 2 1st and 2nd and a 3rd? Can't see Chicago or Anaheim or Columbus giving up a potential top 5 pick+++. Is Utah willing to take that risk?

If not, then it absolutely matters to Swayman the Bruins losing cap space if we get into the season.

Come on, that's silly and you know it. No GM is going to make an OS that has no chance of not getting matched. Its pointless.
I don't think you are understanding lol if Boston doesn't have the cap space to sign Swayman long term....that literally is not a Swayman problem lmao he isn't going to just go "Oh well shit you can only give me 5 mill over 8 years now? Where do I sign" If you can't afford to sign him long term...he will sign short term and you will be taking him directly to free agency. To act like your cap situation is a Swayman problem is ridiculous. The guy will get paid, at some point...by somebody.

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
Such BS by Swayman to claim it's to help other goalies. He's within his rights to ask for whatever he can get, but don't pretend you're helping anyone except yourself. It's like he's embarrassed and wants to save face or something.
I don’t agree here at all. What people (mostly fans of teams) don’t realize is players want other players to sign for as much as possible. The NHLPA is the same. There are contracts that help set tiers and the market. With the cap rising in coming years, Swayans AAV is important to establish a landscape or high point.

Players in there prime signing hometown discounts is actually not loved by other players.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Such BS by Swayman to claim it's to help other goalies. He's within his rights to ask for whatever he can get, but don't pretend you're helping anyone except yourself. It's like he's embarrassed and wants to save face or something.
Except it isn't BS. You might not hear players openly talk about it but in a union setting taking a fair contract that doesn't screw your brothers behind you is absolutely a thing. That is why someone like Mackinnon who talked about wanting to take a "fair" contract...still signed an extension that made him at the time the highest paid player. Leon will do it and then Connor will follow. It is a thing.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I don’t agree here at all. What people (mostly fans of teams) don’t realize is players want other players to sign for as much as possible. The NHLPA is the same. There are contracts that help set tiers and the market. With the cap rising in coming years, Swayans AAV is important to establish a landscape or high point.

Players in there prime signing hometown discounts is actually not loved by other players.
And yet there's still a 50/50 split between owners and players. It all comes down to how it's distributed at this point. I suppose you can argue he's "looking out for" a select few other elite players, which effectively takes away from others. So helping a few to "hurt" most others.

Except it isn't BS. You might not hear players openly talk about it but in a union setting taking a fair contract that doesn't screw your brothers behind you is absolutely a thing. That is why someone like Mackinnon who talked about wanting to take a "fair" contract...still signed an extension that made him at the time the highest paid player. Leon will do it and then Connor will follow. It is a thing.
See above. He's not being altruistic.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Way too much risk with swayman. He hasn’t had the workload of a starter once, goalies seem to get injured these days more frequently, also if you look at cup winning teams, their starter typically had less then 60 gp. You need a backup and a third stringer these days. On top of that, Boston didn’t give up a lot of high danger chances. Also why swayman won’t get an offer sheet as any contender doesn’t have the cap room, and any non playoff team would see swayman get lit up.

He’s a good goalie, but binngton was a good goalie in the cup run then saw his stats decline season over season…

Reactions: Look Up

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Boston needs to play hardball. Swayman is being overly greedy (his right). Swayman has looked studly in stretches, but plenty of goalies have done that, yet over the long haul didn't keep it going. Too much risk to give a relatively unproven goalie the kind of deal Swayman wants.

For whatever reason the team gave up noticeably more high danger chances with Ullmark in net. He handled those better than Swayman. Not bagging on Swayman, as he is an exciting goalie. From a cap/team construction angle, though, it's possible Boston dealt the wrong goalie. Ullmark with Bussi in the wings might have been the smarter play.

Reactions: Look Up

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don't think you are understanding lol if Boston doesn't have the cap space to sign Swayman long term....that literally is not a Swayman problem lmao he isn't going to just go "Oh well shit you can only give me 5 mill over 8 years now? Where do I sign" If you can't afford to sign him long term...he will sign short term and you will be taking him directly to free agency. To act like your cap situation is a Swayman problem is ridiculous. The guy will get paid, at some point...by somebody.

You need to list his alternatives. Obviously, if Boston is low balling extremely, Swayman will be open to getting offer sheeted by someone. But, who is going to do an offer sheet Boston wouldn't match? And who is going to be doing that in late November?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Agreed. Good goalie but lets face it, the Bruins have one of the best team D's in the NHL. I do smell a bit of greed from Swayman.

I bet you Ulmark gets lit up in Ottawa this season.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
You need to list his alternatives. Obviously, if Boston is low balling extremely, Swayman will be open to getting offer sheeted by someone. But, who is going to do an offer sheet Boston wouldn't match? And who is going to be doing that in late November?
Exactly. People think swayman has the leverage, he doesn’t. Boston is not going to give in to his ridiculous demands no matter what. Swayman will have to be reasonable or he sits the year and loses millions which won’t happen. Swayman will eventually cave

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I’m not talking about offer sheets. I’m saying you aren’t going to back him into a corner because of your cap situation and make him sign a team friendly deal long term because “woops didn’t have the space that’s your problem now”. He would just take a short 1 or 2 year deal and end up getting his pay day from someone at some point. So that is in fact not Swaymans problem lol

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I’m not talking about offer sheets. I’m saying you aren’t going to back him into a corner because of your cap situation and make him sign a team friendly deal long term because “woops didn’t have the space that’s your problem now”. He would just take a short 1 or 2 year deal and end up getting his pay day from someone at some point. So that is in fact not Swaymans problem lol
They’ll be fine for a long term, they have 8.6 million free with a 22 man roster, if need more room can send a guy down.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
And yet there's still a 50/50 split between owners and players. It all comes down to how it's distributed at this point. I suppose you can argue he's "looking out for" a select few other elite players, which effectively takes away from others. So helping a few to "hurt" most others.

See above. He's not being altruistic.
I don't see how the 50/50 split comes into play here at all. Because if it did, every player getting a contract now is essentially "taking" those $'s from another NHLPA member because NHLPA salaries exceed the 50% of HRR.

I do think it's fair for a goalie to stand up and say - "If I'm an elite player - I deserve to get paid like other elite players." If Swayman were to sign a "bargain" contract, that enables another GM to use that as a precedent for their own home-grown goalie talent. I'm not saying it's 100% altrustic, because JS is obviously benefitting as well. But I do think that there is certainly a "market impact" as well.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Exactly. People think swayman has the leverage, he doesn’t. Boston is not going to give in to his ridiculous demands no matter what. Swayman will have to be reasonable or he sits the year and loses millions which won’t happen. Swayman will eventually cave
You certainly seem to have a certain perspective regarding JS and his "ridiculous demands". I think this is a case where both sides have plenty of lose. JS will not want to miss games and paychecks, and the Bruins shouldn't want to potentially risk the entire season (which is what they'd be doing IMO by going with Korpisalo as the undisputed #1).

Don't know where they currently stand in negoitation. I said earlier that if they're truly at an impasse - a potential solution is a short term contract.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Yes it is.

"In professional sports, a holdout (also written as hold out) occurs when a player fails to report to their team—usually before the start of a season—or fails to perform the services outlined in the terms of their contract."
"a person, country, organization, etc, that declines to cooperate or participate"

Dictionary.com | Meanings & Definitions of English Words

holdout​

1 of 2

noun

hold·out ˈhōld-ˌau̇t

: one that holds out (as in negotiations)

Definition of HOLDOUT

Just because some sports fans put a qualifier on the definition, it doesn't nullify the real-world definition.

Reactions: SharkInABoloTie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad