Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He's specificley talking about other goalie's. Not sure what you find so disingenuous about him not wanting to have his contract be used by a GM to squeeze the next goalie looking for a new deal.

Just like everyone told oilers fans Drai will put himself first and not only did he not take a discount, he got the max signing bonus available making it buyout proof along with a full NMC the entire 8 years.

He didn't take one consession.
I said he's well within his rights, but shouldn't act like he's doing anyone a favour except himself. More money spent on a #1 means less to go around for everyone, including the backup.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Not sure if this was already mentioned (didn't read through) but Ryan Whitney said he heard from a source he considers reliable that the current offer on the table from the Bruins is 4 x 6.2 million. He said the Swayman ask is the Mcavoy contract (8 x 9.5) and says the Bruins have not responded to the Swayman camp in over 3 weeks.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
He's specificley talking about other goalie's. Not sure what you find so disingenuous about him not wanting to have his contract be used by a GM to squeeze the next goalie looking for a new deal.

Just like everyone told oilers fans Drai will put himself first and not only did he not take a discount, he got the max signing bonus available making it buyout proof along with a full NMC the entire 8 years.

He didn't take one consession.
He most certainly did. He's spending his next 9 winters in Edmonton.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
When a guy says he wants to help future goalies in the market, you know it’s going to be bad. Likely will end up around 8 though Whitney said he wanted 9.5 x 8

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Not sure if this was already mentioned (didn't read through) but Ryan Whitney said he heard from a source he considers reliable that the current offer on the table from the Bruins is 4 x 6.2 million. He said the Swayman ask is the Mcavoy contract (8 x 9.5) and says the Bruins have not responded to the Swayman camp in over 3 weeks.
Sounds like a 6 year deal coming, with a 8.25M cap hit which meets both moving towards a middle?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
When a guy says he wants to help future goalies in the market, you know it’s going to be bad. Likely will end up around 8 though Whitney said he wanted 9.5 x 8

Rask's deal was 8x9.5 in today's dollars. He was a little more proven (two top 7 Vezina vs 1 for Swayman).

I actually question the source. It makes way more sense for Swayman to want 4 years so he can cash in again at 29 instead of 33. Questionable what kind of deal he could demand at 33, but we have just seen Helly and Saros cash in at 29.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think if you're going for 4 years that's a little low from a team that has a decent amount of space for the next 4 season. . I don't know if Swayman is interested in any price at a 4 year, but with the cap going up, that just seems low for an offer if you feel he's a true top goalie for your team.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
"Help future goalies"

But why? If a team is a cap team anyway who cares if he helps future goalies or future defensemen? Just sounds like he's using that to get sway paid, not future goalies.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
"Help future goalies"

But why? If a team is a cap team anyway who cares if he helps future goalies or future defensemen? Just sounds like he's using that to get sway paid, not future goalies.
Combo of both. If he doesn't take this stance he could make less next year.

Goalies have been taking some massive cuts as of late and I think Swayman wants his position to get back to being paid.

Shesterkin as well has taken that stance essentially.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Connor Hellebuyck had a three year ELC and then signed a one year deal. Just like Swayman.

When that contract expired, Hellebuyck had been a Vezina runner up, and has started over 60 games twice and 50 games once. Much more proven than Swayman.

He signed a 6x6.2 deal which is about a 6x6.8 deal in today's dollars.

Juuse Saros signed a 3x1.5 deal coming out of his ELC. Coming out of that deal he was 26 (one year older than Swayman). He had never started more than 40 games (although that was in a 56 game season in which he came in 6th in the Vezina voting). He signed a 4x5m deal under a 81.5m cap (around 5.4m AAV today).

Shesterkin signed a 4x5.6 deal coming out of his ELC. He had one year of being the starter under his belt and everyone knew he was the best up and coming goalie on the planet.

Swayman finished 7th in the Vezina last year (only starting 44 of 82 games) with a very good two rounds in the playoffs.

I think its fair to say he has an equal or worse resume than those guys did when they signed their deals.

The Bruins want 8 years, but they probably won't get it, but I think your reasoning is very poor given that every other agent here did a deal in the 4-6 year range as the compromise with only Helly getting in the 6-7 AAV range by giving up 4 UFA years.

You don't hire an agent like Gross to make compromises, and after trading Ullmark the team has lost a lot of leverage.

If he wants 10 mil over 8 years, they're not giving up the bulk of that time frame with the next 4-5 years for 40% less. I can see a 2-3 year deal closer to 7-8 mil as the compromise alternative

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
You don't hire an agent like Gross to make compromises, and after trading Ullmark the team has lost a lot of leverage.

If he wants 10 mil over 8 years, they're not giving up the bulk of that time frame with the next 4-5 years for 40% less. I can see a 2-3 year deal closer to 7-8 mil as the compromise alternative
I don't understand how he gave all those comparisons and you think 7-8 million is the "compromise". Swayman can say he wants 9m+ all he wants....he can say he wants 14m+ all he wants, but if he says 14m and the team says 6m it doesn't mean they have to give him 10m as a compromise. Never starting 45 games in a regular season and asking for 9.5m is straight up shady tbh and he should be scoffed at for even asking for that amount (even as a starting point in a negotiation) by any rational gm.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I don't understand how he gave all those comparisons and you think 7-8 million is the "compromise". Swayman can say he wants 9m+ all he wants....he can say he wants 14m+ all he wants, but if he says 14m and the team says 6m it doesn't mean they have to give him 10m as a compromise. Never starting 45 games in a regular season and asking for 9.5m is straight up shady tbh and he should be scoffed at for even asking for that amount (even as a starting point in a negotiation) by any rational gm.
And then Bruins do what for a goaltender?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'd like to crap on the Bruins, but I wouldn't respond to someone that delusional, either

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Rask's deal was 8x9.5 in today's dollars. He was a little more proven (two top 7 Vezina vs 1 for Swayman).

I actually question the source. It makes way more sense for Swayman to want 4 years so he can cash in again at 29 instead of 33. Questionable what kind of deal he could demand at 33, but we have just seen Helly and Saros cash in at 29.
Rask was proven, like you said. Not fully but Swayman has played behind a Vézina winner and never been a dedicated starter. A shorter contract would make sense unless he was willing to give on term. I heard from that same (ryan whitney) source that Boston was thinking something around 6.5 for 3 or 4 years which is more than fair.

Can’t blame a guy for wanting to get paid but if he demands and gets near 10m, max term, he will have a hard time ever winning a cup.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If this offer is true (4 years, $6.2 million) the Bruins are very openly saying, they think Swayman is much more of a “System” goalie. While at that same time, they’re still handing him a “Wealth Contract.”

Unfortunately we don’t have much evidence to suggest they’re wrong. He’s rarely “stood on his head” to win a game. They just don’t give up high quality shots. He has however shown, that he’s steps up and makes timely, important saves.

I’d argue anything over $7 is probably scaring the Bruins, but here’s the problem. The Bruins knew he needed a contract and traded Ullmark anyway. That was them admitting they think he’s better than Ullmark and he has been, when it comes to making big, timely saves. But so were goalies like Chris Osgood on those Detroit teams. Never stood on his head either, but outplayed Hall of Famers in playoff rounds, earning 2 Cups as a #1 goalie.

It’s probably the hardest position to judge contractually in hockey. The goaltender on really good defensive teams, because you do have goalies like Dryden and Osgood who weren’t known for their highlight reel saves, yet won a whole lot of important games for really good teams. Doing their part btw.

I’d argue, even if they do think he’s a system goalie, he’s won for them, and stood up when Ullmark didn’t. So they’ve made the choice.

I’m just not sure how many extra dollars that argument gets Swayman. If they’re only at $6.2, they’re not going to $8 million. I’m not sure they’d even go $7.5 more than 2-3 years. If that.

Good bet they end up settling on less term for more money. They’ve had every imaginable conversation at this point. Demanding a trade probably wouldn’t help him either. Think he’d run into the same problem whoever he’s negotiating with.

Think it’s also pretty safe to mention, the numbers we’ve heard he’s asking for are pure BS. I’m not even sure he’s been asking for $8 million. It’s hard to try guessing when you don’t know what one side is asking but if the $6.2 is true, he’s probably somewhere around 5+ years at $7.5. Think the Bruins win if it’s under $7 on a shorter term (3-4 years) and Swayman wins if it’s $7.5+ at 5+ years. Anywhere in between for 4-5 years is probably where it should be.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If this offer is true (4 years, $6.2 million) the Bruins are very openly saying, they think Swayman is much more of a “System” goalie. While at that same time, they’re still handing him a “Wealth Contract.”

Ok look at that statement and then look at the deals for Hellebuyck, Saros and Shesterkin at the same age and contract status. Helly's was 6 years (so more UFA years) for a a little higher in today's dollars. Saros and Shesterkin were for 4 years and were less in today's dollars.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Spargon

May 31, 2019
If he wants to get the max he can go for it. But I fail to understand how he's "helping future goalies". Several goalies have already made 10+mil going back a while. Almost no (arguably none) goalies are worth that much.

Babcock's Toronto contract was supposed to break the ceiling for coaches. How many have made his 5+ mil since?

Reactions: Aurinko

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If he wants to get the max he can go for it. But I fail to understand how he's "helping future goalies". Several goalies have already made 10+mil going back a while. Almost no (arguably none) goalies are worth that much.

Babcock's Toronto contract was supposed to break the ceiling for coaches. How many have made his 5+ mil since?
It's a double-edged sword. If you blaze a trail on contract values and don't perform, it makes it that much harder for others to break through.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007

Unfortunately we don’t have much evidence to suggest they’re wrong. He’s rarely “stood on his head” to win a game. They just don’t give up high quality shots. He has however shown, that he’s steps up and makes timely, important saves.

I’d argue anything over $7 is probably scaring the Bruins, but here’s the problem. The Bruins knew he needed a contract and traded Ullmark anyway. That was them admitting they think he’s better than Ullmark and he has been, when it comes to making big, timely saves. But so were goalies like Chris Osgood on those Detroit teams. Never stood on his head either, but outplayed Hall of Famers in playoff rounds, earning 2 Cups as a #1 goalie.

It’s probably the hardest position to judge contractually in hockey. The goaltender on really good defensive teams, because you do have goalies like Dryden and Osgood who weren’t known for their highlight reel saves, yet won a whole lot of important games for really good teams. Doing their part btw.

I’d argue, even if they do think he’s a system goalie, he’s won for them, and stood up when Ullmark didn’t. So they’ve made the choice.

I’m just not sure how many extra dollars that argument gets Swayman. If they’re only at $6.2, they’re not going to $8 million. I’m not sure they’d even go $7.5 more than 2-3 years. If that.

Good bet they end up settling on less term for more money. They’ve had every imaginable conversation at this point. Demanding a trade probably wouldn’t help him either. Think he’d run into the same problem whoever he’s negotiating with.

Think it’s also pretty safe to mention, the numbers we’ve heard he’s asking for are pure BS. I’m not even sure he’s been asking for $8 million. It’s hard to try guessing when you don’t know what one side is asking but if the $6.2 is true, he’s probably somewhere around 5+ years at $7.5. Think the Bruins win if it’s under $7 on a shorter term (3-4 years) and Swayman wins if it’s $7.5+ at 5+ years. Anywhere in between for 4-5 years is probably where it should be.

You are referring to Hall of Famer Ken Dryden right? Are you trying to poke the Montreal Bear? I'm not even a Canadians fan, but how in the world is Ken Dryden even thought of in your paragraph. He's a member of the 100 greatest players (www.nhl.com) to suit up in the NHL. I'll take Bobby Orr's comment (over yours) about Dryden after his play as a rookie goalie against the highly favored Bruins in the 1970-1971 season playoffs. Orr said "Dryden was better than we had ever dreamed."

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

Maybe he means that the most important position in hockey should be paid like its the most important position. So not going for 10M like Price and Bob, but solid 14M per year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad