Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
It depends how much the Bruins are trying to underpay him. If they are offering 6.5 a year that is a slap in the face he can't accept.
Its his fault for declining an arbitration and also not get an offersheet.

I would disagree in general. You can make a case that the Bruins needs Swayman more than just about any team needs their goalie.
Why do you think that?

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
If a plug like Broberg can get a $4.5M offer sheet, the fax machine of Swayman's agent must sound like a pinball machine in the 80s.
Blues, who probably have the best scouting team and hit on almost every single first round pick and hit on picks in 2nd and 3rd rounds as well, see something special in broberg and see what we been told by blues analyst on 101.1 espn that this is an attempt to get paraykos long time partner.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Why do you think that?
The Bruins expectations for next year, combined with how good Swayman has been, how much the Bruins relies on him, and the lack of faith that I have in Korpisalo. YMMV. You could also make a case for the Rangers with Shesty, but I feel like the Rangers are a deeper team to better be able to handle the situation if they lose their starter for a while.

Reactions: Rob Brown

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The Bruins expectations for next year, combined with how good Swayman has been, how much the Bruins relies on him, and the lack of faith that I have in Korpisalo. YMMV. You could also make a case for the Rangers with Shesty, but I feel like the Rangers are a deeper team to better be able to handle the situation if they lose their starter for a while.
I think we'll have to see how korpisalo plays. Personally, Im just not a fan of paying goalies, so would love to see swayman get overpaid.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
If a plug like Broberg can get a $4.5M offer sheet, the fax machine of Swayman's agent must sound like a pinball machine in the 80s.
That's not how offersheets work lol

You usually have to overpay for potential. So you overpay for a few years, to minimize long term risk. But why would Swayman sign this type of a deal, when he's likely looking for a long term deal.

Also, goalies are not like skaters. Much more volatile position.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Broberg got that amount because it was the highest salary possible with a low compensation.

To sign Swayman a team is going to have to give up their next 4 1st rounders.

10,725 for 1yr

Gotta think that gets him (1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd) but no one would offer it as his QO would be stupid the following year.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
That's not how offersheets work lol

You usually have to overpay for potential. So you overpay for a few years, to minimize long term risk. But why would Swayman sign this type of a deal, when he's likely looking for a long term deal.

Also, goalies are not like skaters. Much more volatile position.
I actually think its hilarious if the ask for 10M is genuine and not a negotiating tactic. No team is gonna give him a 10M AAV offersheet. He should have just went for arbitration again and dont take anything said personally. Its the fastest way to get to UFA.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
this is the guy they kept cause the other was going to be too expensive to sign and this one was "in the bag", right?
HA HAH!!

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
10,725 for 1yr

Gotta think that gets him (1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd) but no one would offer it as his QO would be stupid the following year.
That would be a very risky offer for Swayman to accept. All it takes is 1 injury to mess up your career earnings. 1 down season and he goes from asking 8+ year to 5/short term. He's going to get paid this season. It's just a matter of how much. I think accepting a 1 year deal is too risky for him and the team offering it.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Blues, who probably have the best scouting team and hit on almost every single first round pick and hit on picks in 2nd and 3rd rounds as well, see something special in broberg and see what we been told by blues analyst on 101.1 espn that this is an attempt to get paraykos long time partner.

Stop. No reason to bring up the Blues in this thread. Good grief.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
this is the guy they kept cause the other was going to be too expensive to sign and this one was "in the bag", right?
HA HAH!!

Uh no. They traded Ullmark because he was a 31yr old pending UFA that they weren't going to re-sign because they knew they couldn't keep both he and Swayman. The Bruins had already decided that the 25yr old Swayman was their goalie going forward.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Yeah, the B's don't want to enter the season with Korpisalo and Brandon Bussi as their top 2. That's not how you make the playoffs.
They had like 50 wins in 21-22 with swayman (10 nhl games prior season) and ullmark (20 nhl games prior season).

I highly doubt swayman sits an entire season, I dont think he gains UFA status (correct me if Im wrong). I dont remember a player who ever has.

Its within realm of possibility for the Bruins to be "fine" and in playoff contention without swayman.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
HA HAH!!

:huh:

Huh?

They kept Swayman because he's younger, has less of an injury history, won the job AND put up tremendous stats in the playoffs. I don't recall a single person talk about how expensive Ullmark would be to sign come July 2025.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Yeah, the B's don't want to enter the season with Korpisalo and Brandon Bussi as their top 2. That's not how you make the playoffs.

Sounds an awful lot like "the Bruins don't want to enter the season with Coyle and Zacha as their top 2 centers....."

The B's are easily a playoff team with or without Swayman. He just ups the odds of how deep they go in the playoffs.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
They had like 50 wins in 21-22 with swayman (10 nhl games prior season) and ullmark (20 nhl games prior season).

I highly doubt swayman sits an entire season, I dont think he gains UFA status (correct me if Im wrong). I dont remember a player who ever has.

Its within realm of possibility for the Bruins to be "fine" and in playoff contention without swayman.
Agree it's unlikely Swayman sits an entire season.

Is it possible for the Bruins to make the P/O's without Swayman? Sure. But this comes to mind:
Chance.jpg

IMO - the Bruin's aren't the Av's that can survive getting replacement level goaltending. And there is nothing wrong with saying that IMO. Goaltending has been a cornerstone for the Bruins for a long time, and expecting the Korpedo to keep the train on the tracks is a big ask. IMO - Swayman is part of core in BOS, and they need to treat him as such.

I tend to agree with you that an organization should only pay significantly for goaltending if they are consistently getting very good goaltending, which is exactly what Swayman has delivered. If they are truly at a standstill where the Bruins don't want to commit long term and Swayman's adamant - a solution I see is a shorter term deal that pays JS fairly, and then they can revisit when he's a UFA. That would give the Bruins a couple years to figure things out, and then decide if they want to pay market value for JS.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Agree it's unlikely Swayman sits an entire season.

Is it possible for the Bruins to make the P/O's without Swayman? Sure. But this comes to mind:View attachment 903812

IMO - the Bruin's aren't the Av's that can survive getting replacement level goaltending. And there is nothing wrong with saying that IMO. Goaltending has been a cornerstone for the Bruins for a long time, and expecting the Korpedo to keep the train on the tracks is a big ask. IMO - Swayman is part of core in BOS, and they need to treat him as such.

I tend to agree with you that an organization should only pay significantly for goaltending if they are consistently getting very good goaltending, which is exactly what Swayman has delivered. If they are truly at a standstill where the Bruins don't want to commit long term and Swayman's adamant - a solution I see is a shorter term deal that pays JS fairly, and then they can revisit when he's a UFA. That would give the Bruins a couple years to figure things out, and then decide if they want to pay market value for JS.
Ya. I see this situation turning out just like most RFA signings. JS will be paid fairly but within the Bruin's short term imposed cap structure. Once he hits UFA, Bruins better accomodate or lose him. Hes gonna ask for market value that accounts for cap increases.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

They had to overpay but paying a 2nd and 3rd for a former 1st round pick who Is NHL ready and young D who most likely will be a top 4D is worth it.

It was a good job by Blues. Thanks for a 3rd as a pens fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad