Speculation: The Athletic-“So, it’s easy to imagine a scenario in which the Ducks move on from Zegras..."

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
“John Gibson’s asked for a trade. And I’ve reported that, and he’s said, ‘I am not playing another game for the Anaheim Ducks.'"

- Frank Seravalli

Look, Zegras isn't untouchable and maybe he gets traded, but the return is going to have to be big. And I still don't think it happens.

This. The guy is normally always wrong with anything Anaheim. He was openly called out by Gibson and his agent for reporting false info than got all bent out of shape about it.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Which fantasy writer was that?
I thought it was you, if not apologies. A post Sunday that vanished into the void along with my reply.

A writer for the Atlantic who's body of work was just writing about fantasy teams.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I don't see how this thread can go well, since Ducks fans clearly don't see him as being available, and are just "willing to be blown away" if a massive overpayment is offered, whereas other teams are likely to come up with packages for a player that Anaheim doesn't seem to want to build around.

That being said, I could see the Habs making available a couple of non-top 10 firsts, as well as any roster player other than the current top line and Dach, as well as any prospect other than Hutson and Reinbacher. I'm sure there's a sufficient package in there somewhere.... if Anaheim actually plans on moving Zegras.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I don't see how this thread can go well, since Ducks fans clearly don't see him as being available, and are just "willing to be blown away" if a massive overpayment is offered, whereas other teams are likely to come up with packages for a player that Anaheim doesn't seem to want to build around.

That being said, I could see the Habs making available a couple of non-top 10 firsts, as well as any roster player other than the current top line and Dach, as well as any prospect other than Hutson and Reinbacher. I'm sure there's a sufficient package in there somewhere.... if Anaheim actually plans on moving Zegras.
The problem is there is very little that Anaheim needs. Usually, in the Zegras draft and going back some drafts, there are usually 3-4 guys that turn out as good or better than Zegras (not necessarily the top 4 picks, but a lot of them end up being in the top 2). So a later 1st isn't as enticing.

There is very little that the Ducks need in the system. IF Zegras is available, Ducks need top 6 scoring wingers (preferably right handed) and a big, physical RHD that can play with Minty (preferably a #2/3 guy). Zegras is a fan favorite, fits something that the Ducks need (top 6 offensive forward), and young (about to turn 23). Most offers are quantity offers of guys that might be 2nd/3rd line players or 3rd pair/LHD. Short term, I don't think Zegras will be moved unless it is to fill a bigger need and/or as the main piece of a package for an upgrade.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The problem is there is very little that Anaheim needs. Usually, in the Zegras draft and going back some drafts, there are usually 3-4 guys that turn out as good or better than Zegras (not necessarily the top 4 picks, but a lot of them end up being in the top 2). So a later 1st isn't as enticing.
All very reasonable if you're waiting for an offer to blow your socks off, but if Anaheim management has decided Zegras isn't someone to build around, they'll have to look at lesser pieces. This doesn't mean Anaheim can't pick and choose what it wants, though.

There is very little that the Ducks need in the system. IF Zegras is available, Ducks need top 6 scoring wingers (preferably right handed) and a big, physical RHD that can play with Minty (preferably a #2/3 guy). Zegras is a fan favorite, fits something that the Ducks need (top 6 offensive forward), and young (about to turn 23). Most offers are quantity offers of guys that might be 2nd/3rd line players or 3rd pair/LHD. Short term, I don't think Zegras will be moved unless it is to fill a bigger need and/or as the main piece of a package for an upgrade.
That's what I call the HF curse: everyone, on all teams, is hoping to upgrade on who they have, the only exception being rebuilding teams selling.

Montreal has nothing like what's needed up front, but Guhle can play either side. I wonder if Guhle and Winnipeg's first (or Pittsburgh's 2nd next year, or what is likely to be Florida's first next year) would be enough.

Reactions: lwvs84

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
There has been no CREDIBLE rumors regarding Z coming from someone I know personally who has talked directly to verbeek the rumors only were conjured up because we now have a gluttony of center type players. And click bait artists like seravelli need views and attention to stay relevant.

Don’t hold yours hopes up on Z being shopped anytime soon

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
Zegras is a very close friend to Jamey Drysdale, and if I was Danny Briere I would be on the phone asking what Anaheim would like from the Flyers to acquire him.

Shhhh....... The Ducks would want a lot, and I don't think Zegras is worth that much. Style over substance players don't fit our system.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
That's what I call the HF curse: everyone, on all teams, is hoping to upgrade on who they have, the only exception being rebuilding teams selling.

Montreal has nothing like what's needed up front, but Guhle can play either side. I wonder if Guhle and Winnipeg's first (or Pittsburgh's 2nd next year, or what is likely to be Florida's first next year) would be enough.

I hope Montreal isnt considering Zegras for Guhle. Good player, but he wouldnt move the needle. Guhle is a guy we need.

The Ducks dont need to trade Zegras for pennies on the dollar though. They need to find a suitable trade partner that will do a 1 vs 1 for a comparable young player at a position of need.

But in all likelihood, Ducks keep Zegras as a winger that can chip in at C if needed. McTavish + Carlsson as the top 2 centers. Works great for them

Reactions: viceroy

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Shhhh....... The Ducks would want a lot, and I don't think Zegras is worth that much. Style over substance players don't fit our system.
I hope Montreal isnt considering Zegras for Guhle. Good player, but he wouldnt move the needle. Guhle is a guy we need.

The Ducks dont need to trade Zegras for pennies on the dollar though. They need to find a suitable trade partner that will do a 1 vs 1 for a comparable young player at a position of need.

Jesus Christ can we close this thread? Zegras is just trick plays and isn't worth anything of value. Settled.

Reactions: MCB

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
All very reasonable if you're waiting for an offer to blow your socks off, but if Anaheim management has decided Zegras isn't someone to build around, they'll have to look at lesser pieces. This doesn't mean Anaheim can't pick and choose what it wants, though.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be a blow your socks off in terms of an overpay, but something that Verbeek would feel will make the team stronger long term (like the Drysdale+2nd for Gauthier, I felt like adding the 2nd was a little much but it got PV a player he coveted).

I don't know how Verbeek would view Guhle, but I think he's said that he likes having players on their natural side.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
There has been no CREDIBLE rumors regarding Z coming from someone I know personally who has talked directly to verbeek the rumors only were conjured up because we now have a gluttony of center type players. And click bait artists like seravelli need views and attention to stay relevant.

Don’t hold yours hopes up on Z being shopped anytime soon
For a lot of reporters, Zegras will be the perfect guy for trade rumors: skilled and flashy, so he's well-known, and since he isn't in a traditional hockey market it's easy to make him seem available with relatively little pushback.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
For a lot of reporters, Zegras will be the perfect guy for trade rumors: skilled and flashy, so he's well-known, and since he isn't in a traditional hockey market it's easy to make him seem available with relatively little pushback.
Congratulation sir or madame, you have won the internet for all of eternity. The assholes that pass for "insiders" are all one big f***ing joke. :nod:

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Congratulation sir or madame, you have won the internet for all of eternity. The assholes that pass for "insiders" are all one big f***ing joke. :nod:
I don't need such honors, please just remember when you see my user name that "this person sometimes has a clue" and give me the benefit of the doubt when I'm horribly wrong (which, in fairness, happens often)

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
So teams other than the only one who can actually trade Zegras have suggested that Zegras might possibly be available?
Pat Verbeek: "Yes. Zegras is available."
GM 2: "Ok, let' me talk to our people."
GM 3: "Gotcha. Sorry Pat, I have no cap space."
GM 4: "Let me put something together. Back to you tomorrow."

Darren Dreger: "Anything shaking?"
GM 2: "Weird but I think Zegras is available. You didn't hear it from me."
GM 3: "Something is up with Zegras. Quietly though."
GM 4: "We aren't in, but Verbeek said Zegras name."

Generally how I think it might work.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I don't need such honors, please just remember when you see my user name that "this person sometimes has a clue" and give me the benefit of the doubt when I'm horribly wrong (which, in fairness, happens often)
Fair enough, but how about if I award you the internet for at least a day? ;)

Reactions: pth2

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
He has literally the worst track record when it comes to Ducks rumors. Eklund is better.
I don't know how reliable he is. It seems they are all the same.
All i can say is take it for what it is.

I thought it was you, if not apologies. A post Sunday that vanished into the void along with my reply.

A writer for the Atlantic who's body of work was just writing about fantasy teams.
Don't believe that was me. No Prob.

Reactions: Rec T

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

But in all likelihood, Ducks keep Zegras as a winger that can chip in at C if needed. McTavish + Carlsson as the top 2 centers. Works great for them
Ya the Habs really don't make good trading partners . We don't have what they are looking for. There are other teams if interested in Zegras that could accommodate what the Ducks would need .

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I would offer whatever they wanted to get Z to Toronto. Probably even Matthews. No, not really Matthews. But Zegras is the kind of guy who makes kids say "lit", "goated" and "gang". Gets the young'uns going. Might be more profitable than a bald guy scoring boring regular goals instead of cool lacrosse moves...
True I went to a game a couple weeks ago and the fans were like

Wow lit ass play, zegras is goated…. On god, gang gang.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Ya the Habs really don't make good trading partners . We don't have what they are looking for. There are other teams if interested in Zegras that could accommodate what the Ducks would need .

Ya what we’d want, wouldn’t make sense for Montreal to move.

Slaf/ Reinbacher are the only 2 guys I’d really have interest in…. And even then I wouldn’t call it heavy interest at the expense of zegras

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Ya what we’d want, wouldn’t make sense for Montreal to move.

Slaf/ Reinbacher are the only 2 guys I’d really have interest in…. And even then I wouldn’t call it heavy interest at the expense of zegras
I mean it's not that we wouldn't want him but i can't see Hughes offering up either one of those players. I t seems We are not good trading partners .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad