Speculation: The Athletic-“So, it’s easy to imagine a scenario in which the Ducks move on from Zegras..."

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Full quote:

"Despite Zegras’ offensive skills and charisma, he’s prone to penalties and undisciplined defensive play, which doesn’t fit into the style of game general manager Pat Verbeek wants his team to play.

Duhatschek suggested that Zegras could have value in a slumping market like San Jose that needs an attraction. “So, it’s easy to imagine a scenario in which the Ducks move on from Zegras, if the right deal came along.”

link:

I heard a couple of comments from Justin Bourne/Sam McKee recently. Calling him a "special kind of player", and this was not a compliment. They recognize him as an offensive talent, but that he's on his own wave when it comes to team play.

Do you think ANA will move on from Zegras?

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
All these overwhelming "The Ducks are going to trade Zegras" rumors seemed to start right with the Drysdale trade.

Apparently the "logic" of them is that both Drysdale & Zegras held out on contract negotiations during training camp. "Drysdale got traded therefore it's only logical that Zegras must be gone too..."

That's it, I've seen no other reason for them other than people making silly predictions to bring eyeballs to whatever hack column they wrote.

Could they trade him? Sure, pretty much anyone can be had for a price. If Chicago offered Bedard and their 1st this year for Carlsson, I'm sure PV would swing by Leo's apartment and help him pack. But unless it's one hell of a return, Zegras isn't going anywhere.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
“He could have value in a slumping market”……

What kind of crap is that? He’s had two 60 plus seasons already, and he’s having a bad year. Obviously he would have value to anyone. I’m not a Ducks fan and I’m not the biggest Zegras fan but this desire to act like he‘s played himself out of the league is petty and sad. Hopefully he heals up well and stays a Duck while getting back on track.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Setting aside the reality that Zegras really isn't the prototypical GMPV type of player, I see two major factors that might push Zegras out of Anaheim:
1. The Ducks win the lottery and draft Celebrini.
2. The ability of Zegras to play LW. With Carlsson and McTavish in 1C/2C slots (and Gauthier now in the fold as another option), there is no room for Zegras to play center on the team. Can he (or will he) be able to excel as a LW going forward? If not, a trade will ultimately have to happen.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Even if Verbeek wasnt a fan there would probably be pressure to keep him. The Ducks will be good soonish and having a marketable guy to help draw attention will increase sales.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If this trade happens

I feel it is going to be one of those
“That’s it?” Type of returns in what it cost.
I think the issue is 24 and under top 6 centers are never moved…
A center prospect gauthier just returned a top young dmen + 2nds.

A ton of teams would be in on zegras, and we don’t need to move him and he hasn’t asked for a trade…. Like tom suggested maybe if we win draft lottery we move zegras at draft for a high pick to grab a dmen with upside

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If this trade happens

I feel it is going to be one of those
“That’s it?” Type of returns in what it cost.
Pretty much yea. And when you look at his stats and his play, "that's it?" Is an appropriate reaction relative to the hype he gets.

Guy is the definition of all flash no substance. If you just watch highlights on tiktok you'd think he was an elite player.

Firequacker

used wall of text! It's not very effective...
Jun 3, 2022
Ducks fans swear he's not getting dealt , i tend to believe them but why is there so much smoke
There was zero smoke around the Drysdale trade, the Ducks org is sealed up so tight that smoke is practically evidence against something being on the table.

The Zegras stuff isn't so much smoke as a snowball effect: one guy sees the Drysdale trade and decides he wants to latch onto it so he makes something up for clicks, he gets the clicks, so everyone else piles on. Similar thing happens with Gibson every offseason, Ducks fans are pretty used to it.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
as a Chicago fan we do not need zegras. we have a ton of smaller stature forwards. that are AVG defense. would I take him. yes would I pay the ask for him? no. I think of the bottom feeders sJ would make the most sense. maybe somethig around will smith for zegras might make sense. I agree that SJ needs a player to get a few people in the seats.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Pretty much yea. And when you look at his stats and his play, "that's it?" Is an appropriate reaction relative to the hype he gets.

Guy is the definition of all flash no substance. If you just watch highlights on tiktok you'd think he was an elite player.
Problem is most people even on hfboards just watch the TikTok’s and have those same expectations…. But don’t really watch his play outside of the tiktok.

Hollel

Jun 15, 2019
I also can’t help but roll my eyes in regards to discussing a PV type when he has seen first hand a mini dynasty be run by a Kucherov and Point. I’m not saying zegras will ever be nearly as good, or that Verbeek doesn’t prioritize certain tools clearly. But I can’t imagine there is any actual desire to move Zegras other than a clearly good hockey trade (like moving a D in surplus for a goal scoring winger that was at a deficit) and that he doesn’t sit around going ‘smol boy bad’

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
He'd look great on Chicago imo
This is what makes me laugh. People on these board excoriate Zegras at every opportunity because they think he's just a trick-shot maker and a soft little b---h. But when the concept of a trade arises and they start to imagine him on their team, they want him. Which is it? Is he soft or is he a player you'd want wearing your team's sweater?

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
There may come a time where the Ducks entertain trading Zegras but I highly doubt it is any time soon. They'll probably want to see where they get seeded in the draft and how some of their other high end prospects develop first.
However if they were to get first overall in this draft then maybe.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
If Zegras won't be a center in Anaheim, and someone wants him to play center for them, then I think a trade probably makes sense just from a relative value standpoint. I don't think Anaheim will trade him this year given that his value is at its lowest though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad