Rumor: The All Encompassing Trevor Zegras Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What would you give up to get Zegras?

• Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Habs 25 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • WPG 24 1st OR Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 98 36.8%
  • WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 34 12.8%
  • Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected) AND WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Some other combination of 1st round picks and prospects

Votes: 30 11.3%
  • Nothing - Zegras has too many red flags and will kill the culture

Votes: 84 31.6%

• Total voters

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Why are many against him? he looks like another Patrick Kane on the ice,but bigger.

Some people love their picks/prospects too much, and don't want to give them up for anything basically.

I think a lot of the same people who don't want to give up assets for Zegras, also wanted nothing to do with Eichel and Dubois, and hated the Dach and Newhook trade when they happened.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
... I think either you completely misunderstood my post OR I completely missed your sarcasm.

...Oh geez...
Zegras is being overrated when compared to Kane, NOT Kane is overrated!!!!
if two people immediately came away with the impression that you were talking about Kane being overrated, it's probably your post that's unclear. but fair enough

Reactions: MXD

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
... I think either you completely misunderstood my post OR I completely missed your sarcasm.

...Oh geez...
Zegras is being overrated when compared to Kane, NOT Kane is overrated!!!!
Yeah that's how I understood your post. This Kucherov/Kane talk needs to stop. You're hoping Zegras becomes a Nylander if he works on his flaws which is still an awesome player.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'd absolutely trade for Troy Terry and Mason McTavish. Not Zegras. I mean, yes I'd trade for him, just not for the assets Verbeek could fetch for him.

Obviously, you don't sell the farm for Zegras. And Montreal might not be willing to give up the assets Verbeek will be looking for. I don't think they care about the draft picks as much as they will care which young player/prospect Ducks will be asking for. If Ducks ask for Guhle or Reinbacher, I think Montreal will pass on Zegras.

However, on my end, I'm good with acquiring Zegras, because despite his game having warts, what he does well is something the Habs need. Even if they have 3-4 guys who produce, they need more of that.

Also regarding Terry, what makes you want him more than Zegras? They were linemates the last two years and they were Anaheim's two top scorers. Both at 60+ points. So if Zegras had so many O-zone starts, that means Terry did, as well. And if you look at Terry's production in his career, his picked up as soon as Zegras entered the fray, and Terry was already in his 4th year in the NHL at that time.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That's why Verbeek likes him (sarcasm).

If he is so awesome why is his name being thrown around in trade talks?

I'm not an expert on Zegras. So I don't have the answer to that. Craig Button's answer to that questions is: why did the Bruins management want to to trade Joe Thornton and Tyler Seguin, when, after they traded them we did find out they were indeed awesome? Why were there rumors Jack Eichel was a problem child when he was on the block?

My only answer is, for all I know Zegras could be a Drouin or he could be a Seguin/Thornton. I don't know, but he doesn't strike me as a Drouin. And I wanted to interject Button's perspective:

At the 43:45 minute mark:

At any rate, I don't think Zegras is available for the low prices Thornton, Eichel, and Seguin were traded for. I think it would take a core piece that HuGo won't want to give up.

Last edited:

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Some people love their picks/prospects too much, and don't want to give them up for anything basically.

I think a lot of the same people who don't want to give up assets for Zegras, also wanted nothing to do with Eichel and Dubois, and hated the Dach and Newhook trade when they happened.
Gotchya, picks and prospects are not guaranteed though.

I didn't take a shine to Dubois and Eichel with that injury was a conundrum. They eat a large sum of the cap,Newhook and Dach don't,no worries.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Obviously, you don't sell the farm for Zegras. And Montreal might not be willing to give up the assets Verbeek will be looking for. I don't think they care about the draft picks as much as they will care which young player/prospect Ducks will be asking for. If Ducks ask for Guhle or Reinbacher, I think Montreal will pass on Zegras.

However, on my end, I'm good with acquiring Zegras, because despite his game having warts, what he does well is something the Habs need. Even if they have 3-4 guys who produce, they need more of that.

Also regarding Terry, what makes you want him more than Zegras? They were linemates the last two years and they were Anaheim's two top scorers. Both at 60+ points. So if Zegras had so many O-zone starts, that means Terry did, as well. And if you look at Terry's production in his career, his picked up as soon as Zegras entered the fray, and Terry was already in his 4th year in the NHL at that time.
Terry is significantly more responsible, his zone starts are far from being as extreme, is pretty much xGF/xGA neutral (Zegras is negative), he isn't a PIM magnet (I know I'm harping on this) and his production didn't drop this season despite not playing with Zegras.

I wouldn't sell the farm for Terry either : he's a bit older and doesn't have any positive size.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He only produces because he’s given minutes and offensive zone starts. Yeah great, we have an entire team that can’t produce when given minutes and offensive zone starts.

And it's not like Zegras can't develop other areas of his game. He is only 22. But what he already has as qualities is something the Habs are in need of.

Nah...
But comparing Zegras to Kane is ... QUITE A BIT overrating Zegras.

You're about to start a whole new set of debates here as most will misinterpret your post saying Kane is overrated. So you'll have to reply to countless posts calling you nuts. :laugh:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
A late 1st and a solid prospect, (not Barron or Mesar), is all that it should take. If that's not enough, then we're moving off of his case.

For those who say not interested, who would target instead?

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Pending a huge amount of development from both players, I don’t want to see Zegras or Caufield anywhere near eachother 5v5.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
The problem with giving for Zebras, is that it remove good assets if the Hughes need to do a move to upgrade the center position.

Dach damn injury (and overall injury proneness) could impact significantly his development, who knows maybe he will never come back the same and they will need to adress the center position again.

On a team with a 100% Dach, showing good 2nd or even low 1st center quality (like he has), I think Zegras would be perfect for having a true top 6 on the team.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
A guy with size and defensive ability. Theres no space for Zegras if were gonna add Demidov or Catton.
If there is no one you will name here, you're not a player. If the GM sits on his ass for all his tenure saying trades are hard, that's a GM we're firing, remember?

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
If it has to be done it will be at the draft, i can see it this way

Zegras for MTL 1st plus one of Barron-Harris-Strubble ONLY if there's not a guy that MTL is in love with available and there's a guy that Ducks is in love with

Or Zegras for Wpg 1st plus one of Ghule-Mailloux-Reinbacher........maybe Hutson or Arber but dont think it will be enough for the Ducks

And also i think this thread will be closed before that :laugh::laugh:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If it has to be done it will be at the draft, i can see it this way

Zegras for MTL 1st plus one of Barron-Harris-Strubble ONLY if there's not a guy that MTL is in love with available and there's a guy that Ducks is in love with

Or Zegras for Wpg 1st plus one of Ghule-Mailloux-Reinbacher........maybe Hutson or Arber but dont think it will be enough for the Ducks

And also i think this thread will be closed before that :laugh::laugh:
I don't think HuGo would do Guhle straight up for Zegras...

It's a lot, but, with equivocation, I voted WPG 1st + CGY 1st + Barron + Mesar for Zegras. Not sure Anaheim are interested in a quantity for quality package though. I think they would want a Guhle, Reinbacher, or Hutson piece. I'd be willing to include Xhekaj. But not sure Verbeek would want him as the main player.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If there is no one you will name here, you're not a player. If the GM sits on his ass for all his tenure saying trades are hard, that's a GM we're firing, remember?
We added Dach and Newhook via trade, hes made moves.

If youre gonna spend the assets go after Kakko instead, hes gonna serve a better niche. Realistically, were better off going after AHL players/Euro from the 2021 and 2022 draft. NYR also has Cuylle or Othmann that are worth looking at for different reasons.

Sometimes the best move is also to just... doing nothing.

Adding draft assets and using them in two, three years when we know what we need isnt outside the real of possibilities.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
A guy with size and defensive ability. Theres no space for Zegras if were gonna add Demidov or Catton.
Forget it. Not getting that without trading most of the draft picks and prospects unless there is something wrong with the player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad