Rumor: The All Encompassing Trevor Zegras Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What would you give up to get Zegras?

• Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Habs 25 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • WPG 24 1st OR Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 98 36.8%
  • WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 34 12.8%
  • Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected) AND WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Some other combination of 1st round picks and prospects

Votes: 30 11.3%
  • Nothing - Zegras has too many red flags and will kill the culture

Votes: 84 31.6%

• Total voters

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
He's RFA 2 years after this season... Option 3 is a reasonable try for finishing scoring which this team severly lacks. He is Caufield's buddy?
That is the bit that scares me about this, if you do it and he does not work out to you risk Caulfield's potential too.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Thank god the PLD thread is now long and dead.............21 points after 50 games, for 8.5M this year, boy did we dodge a bullet there folks..........

Is the Zegras thing really a thing, or just the media running wild with something said by one of the TSN talking heads?
Media sites need the clicks,as far as PLD goes glad bargain bin's stuck with him :nod: .Hope tonights game is as entertaining as the last one.:dunno:

Reactions: BLONG7

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Hold the phone here; I spend a copious amount of time on this board… and this is the first time that this is a « thing ». People shoot the shit, yes, but this is officially a rumor here? What did I miss??

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Why are Anaheim trading him then?
They can't really buy offense, why trade the player that, apparently, has offense in spades?
Very easily answered:

1) Zegras was drafted by another GM, not Verbeek. He isn't his player.
2) Mctavish and Carlsson play the same position and were drafted by Verbeek.

Verbeek is using an area of surplus, to get more assets and solidy other positions. Much like we ourselves did when we traded Romanov to get the draft pick we needed to get Dach and fill an area of need. And much like we will do again when we eventually trade Harris and Barron.

The longer he waits with Zegras, the higher risk he gets. What if Zegras has another injury season next season? Or tables at 50-60 pts again? What value could he extract out of him if he prefers the players he drafted? At the moment he has a young player with two solid 60 pt seasons and a lot of "potential" and people can dream of 70-80 pts or PPG player if he takes the next step and thus his value now. In a year? The value might be half. This is a fact.

Edit: I have ZERO doubts he will be traded, for the above reasons. ZERO. Not saying here but he will not be in Anaheim next season.

• Haha
Reactions: Ducks and Pat Riot

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Hold the phone here; I spend a copious amount of time on this board… and this is the first time that this is a « thing ». People shoot the shit, yes, but this is officially a rumor here? What did I miss??

Anaheim said he is up for grabs, so like usual Montreal is in the mix.

Reactions: Gustave

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Olay and so were Dach and Newhook? I don’t see how Drouin is similar. He never had the seasons Zegras has already had, he joined a poorly coached team and was thrust into a role of an offensive leader in a position he never played in his career. The situations are not at all comparable.

Drouin's last season in Tampa is actually, on a purely offense perspective, very similar to Zegras' two good seasons so far, considering the changes in scoring environment from 2017 to 2021, and is even a tad better on a per-game perspective.

AND Drouin had proven he could perform in the playoffs.

AND Drouin wasn't an absolute penalty magnet.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
I think it would cost our lottery pick straight up or Guhle.

I'd probably do our lottery pick if Lindstrom and Demidov are off the board.

Reactions: Pat Riot

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Very easily answered:

1) Zegras was drafted by another GM, not Verbeek. He isn't his player.
2) Mctavish and Carlsson play the same position and were drafted by Verbeek.

Verbeek is using an area of surplus, to get more assets and solidy other positions. Much like we ourselves did when we traded Romanov to get the draft pick we needed to get Dach and fill an area of need. And much like we will do again when we eventually trade Harris and Barron.

The longer he waits with Zegras, the higher risk he gets. What if Zegras has another injury season next season? Or tables at 50-60 pts again? What value could he extract out of him if he prefers the players he drafted? At the moment he has a young player with two solid 60 pt seasons and a lot of "potential" and people can dream of 70-80 pts or PPG player if he takes the next step and thus his value now. In a year? The value might be half. This is a fact.

Edit: I have ZERO doubts he will be traded, for the above reasons. ZERO. Not saying here but he will not be in Anaheim next season.
Let him wait then.

I mean, we avoided doing something really stupid in overpaying for a 60pts forward who, AT LEAST, had size.

Reactions: Leto

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I'm in favour if the price is right but I doubt what I consider a good price is going to be the best they can get.

It also kind of depends who we are looking at with our pick. If we're drafting say Eiserman then Zegras becomes a lot less desirable. If we end up with a D then the need for a F remains pretty high and so Zegras is more desirable.

Leto

Feb 16, 2023

With the depth and quality of defenseman available, I'd much rather draft a Dman than trade the pick for Zegras.

I am not paying top $ in assets for him, especially when we got Dach for Romanov and Newhook for what amounts for 2 second rounders.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I don’t think we have a prospect that have that kind of value except Reinbacher

Harris gets it done baby! ;)

But they were spoonfed O-zone starts to ridiculous amounts that Suzuki and Caufield were never really even close to. There's also a significant difference between pacing for 79 points while playing some very solid defensive play, and being a 60 pts scorer with no defensive play to speak of.

Suzuki and Zegras are two separate profiles or player. But the point I'm making is that you can't fault Zegras for Anaheim's shortcomings. Just like you can't fault Caufield and Suzuki for the Habs' shortcomings. They're doing their part. Zegras did his part. The fact the rest of the team ranges from average to shit isn't on him.

And I'm not here advocating that we have to be all in on Zegras. But it seems all the attention on him is on what he does wrong instead of looking at what he does right, and that is being dynamic offensively and, aside from this year, he's produced. And that is something the Habs lack.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Suzuki and Zegras are two separate profiles or player. But the point I'm making is that you can't fault Zegras for Anaheim's shortcomings. Just like you can't fault Caufield and Suzuki for the Habs' shortcomings. They're doing their part. Zegras did his part. The fact the rest of the team ranges from average to shit isn't on him.

And I'm not here advocating that we have to be all in on Zegras. But it seems all the attention on him is on what he does wrong instead of looking at what he does right, and that is being dynamic offensively and, aside from this year, he's produced.
He's produced... to a clip no better than what we have now... despite being spoonfed ridiculously easy minutes WITH, comparatively speaking, good teammates.

And it's not that Zegras is bad or anything. If he were to cost a 2nd rounder, then of course I'd have no issue with the move.

But it seems very obvious this team needs more size on F. Zegras does nothing to this, and we'd end up giving a lot for a player who would be a 2nd liner and who comes with huge risks (way, way, way too much penalties for a guy who sheltered)

Then again, I really don't care about flashy things.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Drouin's last season in Tampa is actually, on a purely offense perspective, very similar to Zegras' two good seasons so far, considering the changes in scoring environment from 2017 to 2021, and is even a tad better on a per-game perspective.

AND Drouin had proven he could perform in the playoffs.

AND Drouin wasn't an absolute penalty magnet.
No, it really wasn’t comparable. Drouin completely leeched off an elite Tampa PP. Half of his points (26 of 53 total) were on the PP which included Kucherov, Hedman, Stamkos.

Zegras was literally the Ducks leading scorer last year. They had no one other than Terry. Only 17 of his 65 points were on the PP.

The playoff argument is silly because Drouin came in as a rookie in a completely sheltered role. Zegras hasn’t had the opportunity, so how can you even compare.

And yeah, Drouin didn’t take as many penalties. Probably due to the fact he puts in zero effort to implicate himself in the play.

It’s a lazy comparison.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
With the depth and quality of defenseman available, I'd much rather draft a Dman than trade the pick for Zegras.

I am not paying top $ in assets for him, especially when we got Dach for Romanov and Newhook for what amounts for 2 second rounders.

I mean Zegras already hit 60 point seasons twice already vs Dach and Newhook who have yet even come close to that.

Hughes has talked about being in a position to overpay for what he wants now. I think fans are going to be mad when he does just that.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Let him wait then.

I mean, we avoided doing something really stupid in overpaying for a 60pts forward who, AT LEAST, had size.
One thing is we might not want him (which I can totally see your point and why you wouldn't), but Verbeek has to move on. He has a depreciating asset at a position of strength and surplus that can get him minimum 3 quality pieces for a rebuild. It would be bad GMing to keep him, in my opinion.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Seems doubtful that we would do that or that another team is offering an equivalent pick/prospect.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
No, it really wasn’t comparable. Drouin completely leeched off an elite Tampa PP. Half of his points (26 of 53 total) were on the PP which included Kucherov, Hedman, Stamkos.

Zegras was literally the Ducks leading scorer last year. They had no one other than Terry. Only 17 of his 65 points were on the PP.

The playoff argument is silly because Drouin came in as a rookie in a completely sheltered role. Zegras hasn’t had the opportunity, so how can you even compare.

And yeah, Drouin didn’t take as many penalties. Probably due to the fact he puts in zero effort to implicate himself in the play.

It’s a lazy comparison.
You're better than this.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He's produced... to a clip no better than what we have now... despite being spoonfed ridiculously easy minutes WITH, comparatively speaking, good teammates.

And it's not that Zegras is bad or anything. If he were to cost a 2nd rounder, then of course I'd have no issue with the move.

But it seems very obvious this team needs more size on F. Zegras does nothing to this, and we'd end up giving a lot for a player who would be a 2nd liner and who comes with huge risks (way, way, way too much penalties for a guy who sheltered)

Then again, I really don't care about flashy things.
Good teammates? Did you not watch the Ducks in Montreal just the other day? The team is absolute dogshit.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
We are going to have to start consolidating assets (ie draft picks and solid, but not elite pieces) into actual core players sooner or later because we can’t play everyone

Is Zegras it though? As others mentioned, I’d be down with some solid draft capital and trading away some of the middling pieces ie Harris, Barron, Mesar types

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad