Rumor: The All Encompassing Trevor Zegras Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What would you give up to get Zegras?

• Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Habs 25 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • WPG 24 1st OR Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 98 36.8%
  • WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 34 12.8%
  • Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected) AND WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Some other combination of 1st round picks and prospects

Votes: 30 11.3%
  • Nothing - Zegras has too many red flags and will kill the culture

Votes: 84 31.6%

• Total voters

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Lets' say we draft 8 OV, should we get Zegras or Helenius/Catton/Parekh? I'm leaning toward Zegras.

I'd much prefer Helenius/Catton honestly. Zegras is probably a good opportunity to take advantage of people in hockey still having dinosaur mentalities with skilled players, but I'm not giving up a top 8 pick in this year draft to exploit that.

Jets 1st + Mesar (and even then I really like Mesar and wanna see what happens) or I'd wait on the next young player to fall out with their team lol.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I don’t see this actually happening, but it would be a pleasant surprise if it did. We’ve already seen his offensive capabilities, but maybe MSL can unlock something greater.

One thing is for sure, we haven’t had an exciting forward since Kovalev. I’d love to see the Bell Centre reaction if Zegras pulls a Michigan.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It really depends on the price. If it's the same price as the 2nd time ROR was traded by Buffalo then yes i'm listening.

For ROR Buffalo received :

top 10 protected 1st round pick : ended up being a 31st overall
2nd round pick : 49th overall
Tage Thompson : picked 26th overall he was 19 and had a rough first season in both AHL and NHL
Patrick Berglund : 29 years old vet who was nothing special very overrated player imo his best days were clearly behind him at the point in time
Vladimir Svobotka : 30 years old another vastly overrated vet who was clearly over the hill

A similar offer would be

Winnipeg 1st top 10 protected
Colorado 2nd
Logan Mailloux
Josh Anderson
Evans or Kova

At that price i would listen.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I don’t see this actually happening, but it would be a pleasant surprise if it did. We’ve already seen his offensive capabilities, but maybe MSL can unlock something greater.

One thing is for sure, we haven’t had an exciting forward since Kovalev. I’d love to see the Bell Centre reaction if Zegras pulls a Michigan.
I don't care about that reaction if the counterpart to it is 22 stupid penalties.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
In context, his 60 points seasons are about similar to the season Drouin had before being traded here (they may even be less impressive, in that at least Drouin had proven something in the playoffs, and wasn't -- and never really was -- a stupid penalty magnet).

That's also because Drouin played for a good team that qualified for the playoffs. I don't think that should be held against Zegras since he's played on one of the worst teams since he came into the league.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
That's also because Drouin played for a good team that qualified for the playoffs. I don't think that should be held against Zegras since he's played on one of the worst teams since he came into the league.
- Drouin was also good enough to get a roster spot on that team, AND, he did well in them. It's more something to the credit of Drouin than to the debit of Zegras.

- Maybe Zegras' teams would've fared better if the guy that was spoonfed 75% of Ozone starts had done more with it than tally 60 points.

And I'd also add the whole thing about penalties : Zegras gets A LOT of them for a player that isn't really physical. 60 points isn't a lot for a guy who directly costs 5 to 10 goals more than your average Top-6er ONLY in minor penalties.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
He's RFA 2 years after this season... Option 3 is a reasonable try for finishing scoring which this team severly lacks.
Finishing scoring?
The guy never scored more than 23 goals in a single season!

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I don't care about that reaction if the counterpart to it is 22 stupid penalties.
I mean he’s still developing, he can definitely clean that up. Kovalev had a propensity to take really stupid penalties as well, plus the laziness. Put Zegras on the Habs and he’s no longer tasked with being the franchise forward anymore, he’d be well surrounded and well supported.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Once again, us Habs fans have found our shiny new toy this year to obsess about. The PLD thread, now long and dead, and the resulting player no-show in LA , should have taught us to be at least conscious of, if not wary of, some early flags on a player.

That being said, setting up this Zegras-specific thread so that the topic doesn't monopolize all other threads.

To get a sense of whose on what side, putting up a poll.
Thank god the PLD thread is now long and dead.............21 points after 50 games, for 8.5M this year, boy did we dodge a bullet there folks..........

Is the Zegras thing really a thing, or just the media running wild with something said by one of the TSN talking heads?

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I mean he’s still developing, he can definitely clean that up. Kovalev had a propensity to take really stupid penalties as well, plus the laziness. Put Zegras on the Habs and he’s no longer tasked with being the franchise forward anymore, he’d be well surrounded and well supported.
He isn't the franchise forward in Anaheim either.

Also, you know who was developping?... Drouin.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
- Drouin was also good enough to get a roster spot on that team, AND, he did well in them. It's more something to the credit of Drouin than to the debit of Zegras.

Of course it's a credit to Drouin. But you mentioned that Drouin at least performed in the playoffs. Truth is, we don't know how Zegras would be in the playoffs since he's played on a terrible team.

- Maybe Zegras' teams would've fared better if the guy that was spoonfed 75% of Ozone starts had done more with it than tally 60 points.

Zegras' team would have fared better if he and Troy Terry weren't the only ones producing the way they did. It's not their fault the rest of the team was average.

It's similar to Cole and Nick. Caufield is on pace for 65 pts and Nick is on pace for 79. It's not their fault the rest of the team is average and Habs are a Bottom-10 team.

And I'd also add the whole thing about penalties : Zegras gets A LOT of them for a player that isn't really physical.

That's fair. That's something he'll need to really work on.

But also, most penalties are stick infractions and not really a result of physical play. Most guys get called for tripping, high sticks or hooking. You don't need to play a physical game to be called on those.

But I don't disagree with you that it's an aspect of his game he needs to improve on.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He isn't the franchise forward in Anaheim either.
He definitely was forced into that role. It was basically just him and Troy Terry the last two seasons. Heck the guy was on the cover of an NHL game.

Reactions: Dutronc

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Thank god the PLD thread is now long and dead.............21 points after 50 games, for 8.5M this year, boy did we dodge a bullet there folks..........

Is the Zegras thing really a thing, or just the media running wild with something said by one of the TSN talking heads?
Its an obvious link to make.

CC and Zegras are best friends. They spend the summer together. Cole just said he talks to his friends in hockey about how Montreal is an another level (his words). We have the assets to make the trade, we need a potentially impact forward. Hughes has said he will look at players in the right age range, which Zegras is.

I mean I would be angry if some idiot didn't link us with him. Its obvious and its easy clicks.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Zegras' team would have fared better if he and Troy Terry weren't the only ones producing the way they did. It's not their fault the rest of the team was average.

It's similar to Cole and Nick. Caufield is on pace for 65 pts and Nick is on pace for 79. It's not their fault the rest of the team is average and Habs are a Bottom-10 team.

But they were spoonfed O-zone starts to ridiculous amounts that Suzuki and Caufield were never really even close to. There's also a significant difference between pacing for 79 points while playing some very solid defensive play, and being a 60 pts scorer with no defensive play to speak of.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Its an obvious link to make.

CC and Zegras are best friends. They spend the summer together. Cole just said he talks to his friends in hockey about how Montreal is an another level (his words). We have the assets to make the trade, we need a potentially impact forward. Hughes has said he will look at players in the right age range, which Zegras is.

I mean I would be angry if some idiot didn't link us with him. Its obvious and its easy clicks.

Why are Anaheim trading him then?
They can't really buy offense, why trade the player that, apparently, has offense in spades?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Also, you know who was developping?... Drouin.
Olay and so were Dach and Newhook? I don’t see how Drouin is similar. He never had the seasons Zegras has already had, he joined a poorly coached team and was thrust into a role of an offensive leader in a position he never played in his career. The situations are not at all comparable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad