Rumor: The All Encompassing Trevor Zegras Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What would you give up to get Zegras?

• Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Habs 25 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • WPG 24 1st OR Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 98 36.8%
  • WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 34 12.8%
  • Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected) AND WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Some other combination of 1st round picks and prospects

Votes: 30 11.3%
  • Nothing - Zegras has too many red flags and will kill the culture

Votes: 84 31.6%

• Total voters

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I'm ok with giving up Xhekaj in a Zegras deal. I don't think I'd give up Guhle. Hutson and Mailloux I'm on the fence about. I'd have to know more about Zegras.
I'd rather trade for Terry who was very impressive against the Canadiens in the Ducks' 5-0 loss. I would suggest that he'd be far less expensive to obtain than the prices being bandied about here for Zegras. If those prices are indeed, remotely realistic.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I agree that I'd rather Habs use their own pick, which will be a Top-10 pick. Players in that range don't usually need 4-5 years before they're in your line-up. They might need some time in the AHL first, but they will likely be in your line-up in 3 years.

But regarding continuing the rebuild, we've seen part of the rebuild has been acquiring young players with potential like Dach and Newhook. The rebuild hasn't solely been building through the draft.
Right. I'm okay with acquiring players too. But for the right price. I'm fine with using extra firsts or expendable prospects to make a deal. But under few circumstances do I want us to deal high picks or core prospects. If they want our first or a Hutson? They can go away.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
The only way I would have some interest in Zegras is if we somehow were able to draft Lindstrom, this would give us 3 big bodies in our top six in the future
They already have that.

Suzuki 212 lbs
Dach 217 lbs
Slaf 230 lbs

Average for NHL center is 196.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Once again, us Habs fans have found our shiny new toy this year to obsess about. The PLD thread, now long and dead, and the resulting player no-show in LA , should have taught us to be at least conscious of, if not wary of, some early flags on a player.

That being said, setting up this Zegras-specific thread so that the topic doesn't monopolize all other threads.

To get a sense of whose on what side, putting up a poll.
This board did same last year with Dubois

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Didn't matter how many goons Toronto tried to add to the fringes of their roster.. if your top 6 can't get inside in the play-offs, you don't win.. no matter how skilled it is.
Not a valid comparison. Goons don’t see the ice. They aren’t good players.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'd rather trade for Terry who was very impressive against the Canadiens in the Ducks' 5-0 loss. I would suggest that he'd be far less expensive to obtain than the prices being bandied about here for Zegras. If those prices are indeed, remotely realistic.
Terry is signed long term with Anaheim and not on the market.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not a valid comparison. Goons don’t see the ice. They aren’t good players.

I didn't mean literal goons like Colton Orr.. I just mean more physical players.

Your talent has to go where goals are scored in the play-offs.. we know that Zegras won't.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I think Zegras would cost our own 1st, Guhle, Reinbacher, or Hutson, or of course Caufield, Suzuki, Dach, or Slaf. He would indeed be expensive.

Reactions: dcyhabs

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
This board did same last year with Dubois
yes they did and it went on for weeks

Didn't matter how many goons Toronto tried to add to the fringes of their roster.. if your top 6 can't get inside in the play-offs, you don't win.. no matter how skilled it is.

I'll eat the crow if they do it but I'm pretty confident this isn't the guy they are moving on.
you could be right.. wait and see I guess

I just want a scoring forward to be a 30+ guy

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
A guy with size and defensive ability. Theres no space for Zegras if were gonna add Demidov or Catton.
Some old scouting reports describe him as "two way" and as a "buzzsaw." A lot of recent reports bash him for being too outgoing, having personality, and too flashy on offense.

If it's a personality issue and they can get a discount, great. If he really plays buzzsaw hockey, fine. It seems his advanced stats are good this year, he's just playing on a crappy team with bad goaltending.

I'm not sure he's exactly what the habs need, so it really depends on what the price is. The ducks need D prospects so there could be a fit. The cap would be close, ideally they would send at least one salary at least double or triple the minimum the other way. I guess Mailloux for Zegras with some adds might balance out, but I'd expect a bunch of misgivings on both sides. The bidding war could easily get out of hand if one of the other teams really likes Zegras or really doesn't know their own prospects.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Two different players.
Zegras is very talented but from what I gather he isn't the type of player that helps you in a long playoff run. I am not ready to give up the farm for this guy.

You mentioned in another post that you would trade Xhekaj as part of a trade for Zegras...I would wager you would be in a huge minority if a poll was taken. Once Xhekaj develops he is the type of player you want for a long playoff run.

Agree, Xhekaj is a guy i would really hate to see being traded

Reactions: Tyson

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Then you are likely giving up the 2025 1st. If Dach can stay healthy it is likely a mid round pick but the 2025 Draft is supposed to be a deep draft.
I would think HuGo adding Zegras indicates further upgrades pending prior to start of next season vying for playoffs …

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
Some old scouting reports describe him as "two way" and as a "buzzsaw." A lot of recent reports bash him for being too outgoing, having personality, and too flashy on offense.

If it's a personality issue and they can get a discount, great. If he really plays buzzsaw hockey, fine. It seems his advanced stats are good this year, he's just playing on a crappy team with bad goaltending.

I'm not sure he's exactly what the habs need, so it really depends on what the price is. The ducks need D prospects so there could be a fit. The cap would be close, ideally they would send at least one salary at least double or triple the minimum the other way. I guess Mailloux for Zegras with some adds might balance out, but I'd expect a bunch of misgivings on both sides. The bidding war could easily get out of hand if one of the other teams really likes Zegras or really doesn't know their own prospects.

Ducks don’t need D prospects. It’s why they were able to obtain C. Gauthier.

Reactions: 26Mats and dcyhabs

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I thought Dubois talk would never stop. Doing it again with Zegras. These guys never learn.
The media personalities have to fill airtime, they don't have to be reliable or offer good advice. If posts here are limited to things really likely to happen there will be tumbleweeds blowing by. Reality is secondary in both cases.

Dubois had links to Montreal, talked about wanting to play here, and represented a style and positional need. Zegras at this point is just a player with potential who may end up being traded around the league like Dougie Hamilton for similar reasons. If he gets traded because of his personality and for not being old school hockey enough, such that the habs can get him at a discount and St-Louis can fit him in, then great. Same as with Dubois, if, and only if, they can get him cheap, fine. Hughes is an ex-agent so he knows bidding wars and I doubt he'll join one at this point in the rebuild. Maybe for a potential cup winning piece in 3-5 years...

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Two different players.
Zegras is very talented but from what I gather he isn't the type of player that helps you in a long playoff run. I am not ready to give up the farm for this guy.

You mentioned in another post that you would trade Xhekaj as part of a trade for Zegras...I would wager you would be in a huge minority if a poll was taken. Once Xhekaj develops he is the type of player you want for a long playoff run.
That wasn't the point though. The point is that these polls mean nothing.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
0 interest same as last time a problem child came up. Best to keep waiting for a real chance as Montreal needs a Suzuki or better level player, not someone who will play 3rd fiddle on his wing or suit up on the second line.

Montreal has at least 2 more off-seasons to see who becomes available before trying to compete for the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad