Rumor: The All Encompassing Trevor Zegras Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What would you give up to get Zegras?

• Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Habs 25 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • WPG 24 1st OR Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 98 36.8%
  • WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 34 12.8%
  • Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected) AND WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Some other combination of 1st round picks and prospects

Votes: 30 11.3%
  • Nothing - Zegras has too many red flags and will kill the culture

Votes: 84 31.6%

• Total voters

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
It really depends where we pick after the draft lottery because Im sure they'll be asking for our 2024 1st round pick in return. I don't really want to trade Hutson, Mailloux, or Reinbacher, and I don't want to trade any core young roster players. I don't think a late 1st + a player like Mesar or Barron even gets you into a serious discussion with the Ducks.

If the options aren't looking that great when we go to pick, I'd consider trading our 1st at that point. Not saying I would, but I'd entertain the idea depending on the circumstances.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Craig Button was on Sick Podcast said Zegras is franchise center. I think that's kills the Zegras to Montreal talk. Last year Button said Dubois was most dominating force in hockey.
AND button nose said MTL would not win a game against the laughs in the playoffs couple years back

plus he is yaking on a podcast that favors MTL, thus he is fueling the fire

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Ducks don’t need D prospects. It’s why they were able to obtain C. Gauthier.
A cogent argument could be made that the Ducks' defensive prospect pool is deeper than ours. For that reason alone, I don't see the Ducks being a likely trading partner for us unless, of course, we are overpaying. And why we would do that? Haven't we shot ourselves in the foot enough times over the past three decades?

tnq

Feb 16, 2004
If you want the show, just do the trade. If you want to win the cup, big no

Reactions: zeeto

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Button says Zegras is a game changer
He's a skilled player that's for sure. If he's available for a good price we should be on it. I don't get the comparison with Drouin it is my opinion that Zegras raw skills are better. A game changer in playoffs though that's the question mark. Lot of "dentelle" in his game. His overall game needs lot of refinement. For that reason i would not pay the price you would normally have to pay for an equally skilled player with a more sound overall game.

If you want the show, just do the trade. If you want to win the cup, big no
It's easier to teach how to win that it is to teach skills.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
The only reason why I would be interested in Zegras is because we have MSL and being traded tend to straight up unruly kids. Plus, Caufield knows him well and they spent time together in Montreal last summer, so management should have done its due diligence. If you can have him for a late first pick and a B prospect... I would pull the trigger, yes. Worth the risk.

Reactions: Pat Riot

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I know there are concerns about him being soft or having a bad attitude but to be fair:
-Caufield is Zegras' buddy, I think Z will be motivated to play with him and the other MTL youth
-Zegras isn't coming in to carry the mail and be the #1 threat, something that Drouin was expected to do.
-There's good leadership on the habs right now, and I think Zegras could buy in.

All that being said, it depends on price. No need to chase Zegras when we can draft high.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Nothing! These kind of trades rarely work out. Drouin, Huberdeau, Dubois be few examples.
Joe Thornton, Jack Eichel, Tyler Seguin.

Getting a guy on the cheap because he has a bad reputation can be a good way to accelerate a build into a contender or champion. key word is CAN be.

Reactions: sampollock

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Getting a guy on the cheap because he has a bad reputation can be a good way to accelerate a build into a contender or champion. key word is CAN be.
Joe Thornton and Jack Eichel were not the same thing.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

not ever trade for a guy that has the potential is bad, Jack E is a great example

Reactions: 26Mats

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Joe Thornton and Jack Eichel were not the same thing.
Joe Thornton was given away for free. Whatever was the reasons for giving him away for free it doesn't really matter. He was acquired for nothing of importance. He was traded for Brad Stuart who was 25 and not that great. Pretty much a 2nd pairing dman. Wayne Primeau a 29 years old 4th line player and Marco Sturm a 26 years old 2nd line player. Easily one of the 10 worst trades in NHL history.

Reactions: 26Mats and Gustave

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Joe Thornton was given away for free. Whatever was the reasons for giving him away for free it doesn't really matter. He was acquired for nothing of importance. He was traded for Brad Stuart who was 25 and not that great. Pretty much a 2nd pairing dman. Wayne Primeau a 29 years old 4th line player and Marco Sturm a 26 years old 2nd line player. Easily one of the 10 worst trades in NHL history.
I’m not expecting a one dimensional paper weight like Zegras to become Joe Thornton. You can bookmark this if you think I’m wrong.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yes, that's the point. The reports of attitude problems were false.

Not the same thing as what?
Too much risk. Have to give up too much for Zegras, have to pay him ton of money then there are the problem child flags. It's too much risk for me.

If it goes wrong will destroy Habs rebuild. Be 5 years of Mickey mouse hockey for nothing. He's another Dubois.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
If we're fine with paying future-oriented assets for a soft-ish winger, I think I prefer shopping in Raleigh for Martin Necas (offseason).

He's a skinny 6'2" guy who turned 25 last month, and scored 71 points last year.
He can't quite find the same groove (yet) this year, looks like Jarvis is eating his minutes. He's roughly a half-ppg guy in the playoffs so far, on a notably insipid playoff team. Still RFA this summer, but with his accomplishments to date cannot really ask for more than the internal cap in MTL (<8M).

Assuming we are shopping for a 2nd line winger with 60-70pts potential (not necessarily a 1st liner) I think he's a wonderful target.
Not too sure what CAR would want as their prospect pool is more than decent, and our warm bodies are putrid. Something including Dvorak would be hilarious.

Fun fact, Necas was drafted one pick before our captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad