Rumor: The All Encompassing Trevor Zegras Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What would you give up to get Zegras?

• Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Habs 25 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • WPG 24 1st OR Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 98 36.8%
  • WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 34 12.8%
  • Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected) AND WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Some other combination of 1st round picks and prospects

Votes: 30 11.3%
  • Nothing - Zegras has too many red flags and will kill the culture

Votes: 84 31.6%

• Total voters

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hello folks. Been a while! I've been busy so haven't had too much time to chit chat on HF boards.

Very open to trading for Zegras but this will likely be a long trade talk process. I'm not buying all this soft and attitude problems. We are after skill and he has it. And I'm pretty sure MSL/Caufield, our young core, and the city of Montreal will motivate him

A few things on my mind about this:

1) Guhle for Zegras is fair on paper but doesn't fit the Habs strategy. Because if you trade for Zegras, you are building a playoff team faster and you will need Guhle to be part of it. I pass on this trade idea. Guhle is a sure shot top 4D and still has top paring potential. 22 and only 96 NHL games and still growing/learning.

2) Having said what I said in point 1 above, we have to project up coming salaries to both Guhle and Zegras... as well as Slav and so many others (Dach included). This part is over most of our heads but I'm sure Gorton/Hughes are looking at it.

3) Quantity for quality probably doesn't work. Like Jets/Flames late first rounders and one of Xhekaj or Barron. Ducks probably pass on this. However, if the Zegras trade situation lingers on and he struggles on the ice, things can change. Look at the Eichel and Seguin trades from the past. For all we know, Jets 1st, Mesar, and Farrell gets it done.

4) Habs 1st rounder (5-7 range) for Zegras straight up with an add on like Kidney type? I'm 50/50 on this. The value of that pick matters in terms of when they are NHL ready and you end up having 3 years of ELC cost on the cap.

Lets say we do Habs 1st (5-7) and Kidney for Zegras. I think this is very solid and a contender type like the Canes. Lots of depth which helps when injuries happen. We would also still have both the Jets and Flames 1st as well as our 1st from 25+. I think this would put us in a good spot for the next 5-10 years.

With all this depth, I do wonder who we end up loosing on waivers in the coming years.

Roy / Suzuki / Slaf
Zegras / Dach / Caufield
Newhook / Evans / Anderson
Mesar / Beck / Ylonen

Heineman, Farrell, RHP, Pezzetta, Kapanen

Matheson / Guhle
Hutson / Reinbacker
Xhekaj / Mailloux

Barron, Struble, Engstrom,

Monty / Primeau / Fowler

Reactions: the valiant effort

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dach is extremely critical - maybe the most critical piece to this team. He could very well be the #1 C and better than Suzuki.

Not sure if Dach ends up better than Suzuki but yeah, I do agree Dach is important to our future core. He has potential to be just as good as Suzuki and both are still improving/maturing. Suzuki is just ahead of him in that area but Dach can catch him.

Reactions: Vachon23

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Dach is extremely critical - maybe the most critical piece to this team. He could very well be the #1 C and better than Suzuki.
Yeah he's so critical, he's not lacing them up. Look the guy will have come and gone when he's done here. That's my prediction.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Hello folks. Been a while! I've been busy so haven't had too much time to chit chat on HF boards.

Very open to trading for Zegras but this will likely be a long trade talk process. I'm not buying all this soft and attitude problems. We are after skill and he has it. And I'm pretty sure MSL/Caufield, our young core, and the city of Montreal will motivate him

A few things on my mind about this:

1) Guhle for Zegras is fair on paper but doesn't fit the Habs strategy. Because if you trade for Zegras, you are building a playoff team faster and you will need Guhle to be part of it. I pass on this trade idea. Guhle is a sure shot top 4D and still has top paring potential. 22 and only 96 NHL games and still growing/learning.

2) Having said what I said in point 1 above, we have to project up coming salaries to both Guhle and Zegras... as well as Slav and so many others (Dach included). This part is over most of our heads but I'm sure Gorton/Hughes are looking at it.

3) Quantity for quality probably doesn't work. Like Jets/Flames late first rounders and one of Xhekaj or Barron. Ducks probably pass on this. However, if the Zegras trade situation lingers on and he struggles on the ice, things can change. Look at the Eichel and Seguin trades from the past. For all we know, Jets 1st, Mesar, and Farrell gets it done.

4) Habs 1st rounder (5-7 range) for Zegras straight up with an add on like Kidney type? I'm 50/50 on this. The value of that pick matters in terms of when they are NHL ready and you end up having 3 years of ELC cost on the cap.

Lets say we do Habs 1st (5-7) and Kidney for Zegras. I think this is very solid and a contender type like the Canes. Lots of depth which helps when injuries happen. We would also still have both the Jets and Flames 1st as well as our 1st from 25+. I think this would put us in a good spot for the next 5-10 years.

With all this depth, I do wonder who we end up loosing on waivers in the coming years.

Roy / Suzuki / Slaf
Zegras / Dach / Caufield
Newhook / Evans / Anderson
Mesar / Beck / Ylonen

Heineman, Farrell, RHP, Pezzetta, Kapanen

Matheson / Guhle
Hutson / Reinbacker
Xhekaj / Mailloux

Barron, Struble, Engstrom,

Monty / Primeau / Fowler
Not sure they care about Kidney but it’s a good start

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not sure they care about Kidney but it’s a good start

The add on shouldn't block that deal if it's 5-7 OA for Zegras. Expecting substantially more than Kidney is reaching IMO.

Ducks can say they will wait it out but Zegras's value will lower if he is not motivated because he don't want to be there. The book is out now, they are open to trading him and Zegras knows it. His trade value could be stable or it could lower if they go into next season and he's a 50 pts player on a team that lacks talent for him to work with.

9th OA former pick that has put up 60 pts (+/-). Not trending well but still has solid trade value.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
The add on shouldn't block that deal if it's 5-7 OA for Zegras. Expecting substantially more than Kidney is reaching IMO.

Ducks can say they will wait it out but Zegras's value will lower if he is not motivated because he don't want to be there. The book is out now, they are open to trading him and Zegras knows it. His trade value could be stable or it could lower if they go into next season and he's a 50 pts player on a team that lacks talent for him to work with.

9th OA former pick that has put up 60 pts (+/-). Not trending well but still has solid trade value.
I don’t think where far from with that offer but I think it will take a better prospect like Engstrom by exemple

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
If our first is in the 8+ range:

Our 1st + Hutson for
Zegras and Ana 2nd

Flame away, folks.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t think where far from with that offer but I think it will take a better prospect like Engstrom by exemple

Possible but it will come down to what others are offering as well. Will other teams offer a 5-7 range OA pick and a Grade B+/A- type like Engstrom? Personally, I rather not trade Engstrom until we really know who he is. We won't know that until he turns pro.

Change Engstrom to Barron. Hate to trade Barron but we have a good idea who he is today.

The way I see it is this... 9th OA pick (Zegras) who has put up 60 pts (+/-). Not fitting well with the Ducks and there is disconnect. 5-7 range pick is a very good offer and I don't think many other teams will offer that. I see other teams taking the 3 pieces for 1 type approach.

Reactions: Goalfield13

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Possible but it will come down to what others are offering as well. Will other teams offer a 5-7 range OA pick and a Grade B+/A- type like Engstrom? Personally, I rather not trade Engstrom until we really know who he is. We won't know that until he turns pro.

Change Engstrom to Barron. Hate to trade Barron but we have a good idea who he is today.

The way I see it is this... 9th OA pick (Zegras) who has put up 60 pts (+/-). Not fitting well with the Ducks and there is disconnect. 5-7 range pick is a very good offer.
Habs 1st pick + Justin Barron I do think they would strongly consider it

Reactions: Habs Halifax

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

The way I see it is this... 9th OA pick (Zegras) who has put up 60 pts (+/-). Not fitting well with the Ducks and there is disconnect. 5-7 range pick is a very good offer.
It’s good to see you back from a long hiatus only to show in the bolded that you’ve learned absolutely nothing after your long rants for two years straight in the PLD threads. You would think after that and the red flags you ignored from Drouin that you’d learn to start putting some weight into red flags with players.

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
That'd be terrible asset management.

Zegras' value is very close to that of a pick in the 5-7 range. That means we'd essentially be trading a blue chip prospect for a 2nd.
That is what it will take to get Zegras, who is extremely underrated here. He is easily the best piece in the trade, and I am comfortable with our LD situation to take the risk. I don't agree that Zegras is only worth a 5-10 draft pick. I know this is HF and we overvalue 1sts, but C'mon.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Winnipeg's first?

I think that if we put our selves in the shoes of the Ducks, we won't like the quantity for quality type offer. Would be nice if we can pull that off but I think the Ducks wait it out if it's late 1st and B/B+ type prospects.

It will be interesting to see how many other teams get in the Zegras mix and what they are prepared to offer. Do they offer the 1/1 or the 3/1 offers?

With a top 10 pick of course. It's getting expensive though.

You either believe in Zegras like we did with Dach or you don't. We need skill up front and we are set on D with loads of options. Zegras is a good add to this core IMO.

9th OA pick that has put up 60 pts (+/-). He has 5-7 OA value in my opinion.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
That is what it will take to get Zegras, who is extremely underrated here. He is easily the best piece in the trade, and I am comfortable with our LD situation to take the risk. I don't agree that Zegras is only worth a 5-10 draft pick. I know this is HF and we overvalue 1sts, but C'mon.
If that's what it takes to get Zegras you immediately hang up the phone and never call back.

• Haha

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I think that if we put our selves in the shoes of the Ducks, we won't like the quantity for quality type offer. Would be nice if we can pull that off but I think the Ducks wait it out if it's late 1st and B/B+ type prospects.

It will be interesting to see how many other teams get in the Zegras mix and what they are prepared to offer. Do they offer the 1/1 or the 3/1 offers?
Perhaps, but they already have Gauthier coming up, so they might prefer a better prospect, closer to the NHL, in the trade than a top 10 pick.

WPG 1st + Mailloux is probably not the best we can do, but it's a pretty good offer imho. If they insist on getting a roster player, that's why I was thinking Roy and Barron. Roy should be close.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Agreed. Zegras is a proven 60+ forward with lots of skill and the 5-7 range pick is also great value but not a sure shot chance at someone like Zegras.

The only thing that scares me is the cap crunch. Lots of cap projection will have to be done to see how it might look. After the Dach, Zegras, Guhle, Slaf and many more are extended.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
With a top 10 pick of course. It's getting expensive though.
Of course he’s gonna be expensive. A U23 yrs player with 2x 60 pts season is gonna cost something that will hurt you

Would you trade Caufield vs a late pick + Luneau ?
How many teams offer them a 5-7 range pick? That's what my mind is pondering.
Don’t know, but Anaheim can keep him if they don’t have what they want

Reactions: Benstheman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad