Rumor: The All Encompassing Trevor Zegras Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What would you give up to get Zegras?

• Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Habs 25 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • WPG 24 1st OR Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 98 36.8%
  • WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 34 12.8%
  • Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected) AND WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Some other combination of 1st round picks and prospects

Votes: 30 11.3%
  • Nothing - Zegras has too many red flags and will kill the culture

Votes: 84 31.6%

• Total voters

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
It's not a narrative or trap lol. I just used him as an example of the value Zegras commands in the current situation.

His value is close on that of a 5th overall pick in my eyes. If we were having this discussion last year then it'd be higher, but as it stands at this moment I'd consider it close to equally value.
It also depends on the draft and who is available. Outside Celebrini, I don't think this draft really wows GMs. I wouldn't trade Zegras for a 5-10 pick in this draft. Not a chance.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We certainly have a spot for him, and his skill would be welcome. I am certain Hughes is interested, and they are likely waiting for the lottery to happen to see where they stand before making a trade. No rush for now, and Anaheim would be wise to wait for the offseason when more teams could show interest. I think the Habs are the team with the assets that can get it done without gutting the farm/core.

I think if you offer them 5-7 and Barron on draft day, they take it. I don't see many other teams offering that value and most teams take the 3/1 (quality for quantity approach).

Ducks have to be thinking what Zegras would do next season and what his trade value would be if he has another season like this one. The 5-7 range pick dangle with the Barron sweetener would be hard to turn down IMO.

Reactions: salbutera

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
It also depends on the draft and who is available. Outside Celebrini, I don't think this draft really wows GMs. I wouldn't trade Zegras for a 5-10 pick in this draft. Not a chance.
The only way I see us getting Zegras is if the Ducks management are in love with a prospect in that 5-8 range and would rather have them over Zegras, which is a big if.

Otherwise I don't see any realistic package we could put together that makes sense for both sides.

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
I think if you offer them 5-7 and Barron on draft day, they take it. I don't see many other teams offering that value and most teams take the 3/1 (quality for quantity approach).

Ducks have to be thinking what Zegras would do next season and what his trade value would be if he has another season like this one. The 5-7 range pick dangle with the Barron sweetener would be hard to turn down IMO.
Sure. I know Barron is not getting it done right now, but I would rather trade a LD since we are getting clogged up there. Maybe Engstrom would get it done, and we can still keep Hutson and Barron and see how they develop since the upside is pretty high.

The only way I see us getting Zegras is if the Ducks management are in love with a prospect in that 5-8 range and would rather have them over Zegras, which is a big if.

Otherwise I don't see any realistic package we could put together that makes sense for both sides.
If I was to replace Hutson with Engstrom and Winnipeg's 1st, I think that gets it done and makes sense for both sides.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
Sure. I know Barron is not getting it done right now, but I would rather trade a LD since we are getting clogged up there. Maybe Engstrom would get it done, and we can still keep Hutson and Barron and see how they develop since the upside is pretty high.

If I was to replace Hutson with Engstrom and Winnipeg's 1st, I think that gets it done and makes sense for both sides.
I'd find that trade much easier to swallow since Hutson>>>late 1st + Engstrom in my mind.

It'll be interesting to see how this summer plays out. We know Hughes loves trades that accelerate the rebuild, and moving our 1st+ for Zegras would definitely do that.

durojean

May 29, 2007
If our first is in the 8+ range:

Our 1st + Hutson for
Zegras and Ana 2nd

Flame away, folks.
I'd be scared to trade Hutson alone for Zegras. Let alone adding our first to hit.

I feel like if we have a prospect that can push us forward really fast is a guy like Hutson. It all depends on how he adapts to the NHL game. He still got All-Star potential.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Well i'm just not particularly fond of small players, and how they always seem to stick to habs culture... weve been riding the small forward for 30years and it is tiring.. take out Bergeron from Boston, and they arent nearly as scary with Marchand as their #1. CC isnt even particularly strong, not very fast and offers nothing defensively. Total perimeter player looking for a lazer beam into a small target or a one timer grom the cross thru the slot. Hes lethal at those two things, but when contained very pedestrian.
I would NOT want Zegras if we kept CC, but if CC were in the mix then by default we get bigger, relatively speaking.

Assume ANA is very willing..

Ok.. whats fair?

Id say CC is slightly better than zegras, but CC doesnt have any attitude issues..

ANA would be ridding themselves of a bad relationship and getting the better player in the deal.. this saves a lot of face . To make that happen they trade this years 1st (1oa protected) which wont help them, as they are supposed to be further along in their rebuild than us. This deal gets them back ready for next year.
And Cole is reunited With gauthier.. hell why not, we give them a D prospect type: barron and/or harris...

We get Zegras, Lindstrom and Demidov. Going into the summer. This becomes the back up core to a very strong top 6. No superstars, just solid stars.
Adding Zegras, while keeping Caufield could be done. It would all depend on the other players in our top 6. We already have Dach and Slafkovsky. Another winger with size would help to balance things out. Creating space for Caufield and Zegras to do their things.

I'm not saying I wouldn't move Caufield. I would if the right deal comes along. Even if you feel Zegras is a better player than Caufield. I don't think the difference is ANA's 1st rd pick this year. We'd definitely have to add to help balance out this trade.

Having Zegras, Lindstrom and Demidov, as well as Suzuki, Slafkovsky, Dach and Newhook. Would give us a very solid top 6. I just don't know what we'd have to add to be able to pull this trade off.

Reactions: themilosh

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Agreed - also as we see repeatedly trades are more contract based than value of the talent. i.e ELC contracts are most valued and market price decreases as the asset moves to 2nd or 3rd contract (fewer years prior to UFA status). High achieving ELC assets never get moved, so they need not be included in the discussion

I see a lot of similarities in Drysdale return to what Zegras will net. Drysdale was a 6OA, presently is on year 1 of 2nd contract (4th NHL season), net a 5OA who will enter ELC presumably next season or late this season.

Zegras a former 9OA is also on 1st year of 2nd contract (4th season of NHL service), a 6-10OA pick would be market price or as in the Patrik Laine deal 2OA (with more NHL achievement) net a 3OA from same draft (PLD) + Roslovic (a dime a dozen talented but inconsistent fwd)

Last edited:

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Adding Zegras, while keeping Caufield could be done. It would all depend on the other players in our top 6. We already have Dach and Slafkovsky. Another winger with size would help to balance things out. Creating space for Caufield and Zegras to do their things.

I'm not saying I wouldn't move Caufield. I would if the right deal comes along. Even if you feel Zegras is a better player than Caufield. I don't think the difference is ANA's 1st rd pick this year. We'd definitely have to add to help balance out this trade.

Having Zegras, Lindstrom and Demidov, as well as Suzuki, Slafkovsky, Dach and Newhook. Would give us a very solid top 6. I just don't know what we'd have to add to be able to pull this trade off.
Ok how about Zegras + ANA 1st this year unprotected for CC and Hutson?

• Haha
Reactions: WeThreeKings

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I’d offer this data point as food for thought - Gorton, Hughes and MSL have a very strong affinity for US Northeast elite youth hockey program grads - it’s human nature it’s what they know best combined w a disproportionate number of prospects being graduates from those programs & being drafted over last 5-7 years

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Yikes, this is definitely a go big or go home type of offer. Losing Caufield and Hutson would be painful to our fanbase. Being able to add Zegras, Lindstrom and Demidov to our top 6. Makes this offer quite interesting.

Looking at the big picture, I think it's a fair offer. I just don't know if I'd have the stones to pull it off.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Yikes, this is definitely a go big or go home type of offer. Losing Caufield and Hutson would be painful to our fanbase. Being able to add Zegras, Lindstrom and Demidov to our top 6. Makes this offer quite interesting.

Looking at the big picture, I think it's a fair offer. I just don't know if I'd have the stones to pull it off.
Isn't the idea to reunite Zegras with Caufield?

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Isn't the idea to reunite Zegras with Caufield?
Yes, but the idea of obtaining ANA's first as well as Zegras really intrigues me. We'd lose Caufield and gain 3 good forwards. The wild card for me is Hutson.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Why go that aggressive?

1) Ducks won't trade their unprotected 1st any more than we would. So forget about that plan.

2) Habs are very happy to have Caufield and Hutson. I am too. No need to shop them in trades. Will make you look bad IMO.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I rather trade what I know we have vs what someone like Engstrom could be. I'm not willing to block the trade with the add though. Could be Mesar for all we know. However, we all see it the same... we are loaded on D and would like to trade from a position of organizational strength.

Call me crazy but I love Enstrom's game and he will be more cost controlled over Barron in the next 3-5 years. Engstrom might disapoint but I do like his potential. Rather not trade him before he turns pro.

The add on to me should be someone who has already turned pro and we have a good indication on who they are.

I think we are vastly over rating Lane Hutson. Time will tell

Possible but he is a dynamic puck mover who has crazy good numbers in the NCAA. Small yes but he is slowly getting stronger.

At the very least, I think we have a Gostisbehere. So yeah, Gostisbehere+ is where I have my base at. If he is substantially better than that, great.

Would I consider moving Hutson before he turns pro? Hell no

Last edited:
Reactions: Goalfield13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad